Is this a published feature?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

doogie

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 27, 2004
I just tried something with my 522...

I was watching a program and about 3 mins had passed.... I then realized I wanted to record, not only what I had seen..., but the remaining portion of the program...

So, I hit the rewind button until it was at the beginning of the show and then I hit record...

I them came up and asked me something like did I want to record the REMAINING portion of the show... this message led me to believe that what I had already seen was gone - but it could record the last part of the show...

I answered YES and when it was done... I watched the recorded show and it DID go back and put those first few mins on the hard drive as well...

I thought that was pretty cool! Just wanted to let everyone know it can do this.. I didn't know it could.

Yeah - standard stuff. In fact, there's an 'option' for 'record entire event'. It only works if you've been on the channel since (before) the beginning of the show.

SimpleSimon said:
Yeah - standard stuff. In fact, there's an 'option' for 'record entire event'. It only works if you've been on the channel since (before) the beginning of the show.

I thought so too until last night when I tuned in about 7:01 and it gave me the option to "Record Entire Event." Of course, it only recorded from the point at which I tuned to the channel but the option was not grayed-out.

Yep, I can watch music videos and when I see one I want to record, I go back to the beginning, then hit record, then stop when it's over.
That way, it records only the video!

chaddux said:
I thought so too until last night when I tuned in about 7:01 and it gave me the option to "Record Entire Event." Of course, it only recorded from the point at which I tuned to the channel but the option was not grayed-out.
Hmm. Maybe it varies by receiver model. Or maybe your 7:01 was 'local', not 'real'.

Here's a serious bug I've seen though, related to this feature: You're watching some seriously time-shifted stuff, for example, almost 2 hours back (the limit on the 522). You come across a 10 minute portion you'd like to record. Just to be clear, in this example you're sitting say 1 hour 45 minutes behind "live tv". The next ten minutes are what you'd like to record, and following that is 1h 35m you do not need, or maybe want part of in separate recordings. Some of you know where I'm going with this if you've experienced this bug...

You press the record button at the start of the ten minute portion. Then, when it's over you press the stop button. It mentions it will need to go all the way back to live tv mode, which is sorta understandable (but wouldn't be necessary if their software is better) so you hit OK. Now, suddenly your timeshifting buffer is empty. Also, you very quickly notice it stuck the whole friggin 1h 45m in one DVR event where you only wanted 10m. Even worse, the name of the DVR event is whatever is on at the time of "live tv", not what was on during the 10 minutes you wanted...

By the way, it seems to do this regardless of what option you select from those presented when you press the record button. So, this includes the "stop recording manually" option. :mad:

chaddux said:
Well, the program was already in progress.
I understand - but you also know that shows rarely actually start 'on-time' any more.

There was a thread somewhere I was reading about this - the networks trying to squeeze extra commercials off-time, shift the clocks to catch channel-shifters and DVR owners (that's why dual-tuners and padding exists ;) ).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts