is this an ok receiver for basic??

sg9999

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 13, 2008
DISH Network SD Solo 512 DVR TV Satellite Receiver / Tuner (DVR512) 139$

is this ok for basic non HD, I dont mind paying the 4 per month for record..

Hello sg9999, the 512 is a very good receiver for SD programming. The 512 receiver has 100 hours of recording time. And if you have a home phone with caller ID, it will allow the callers information to show at the top of the screen. Another good thing is you can watch a recorded program while recording another. If you have any further questions I will be more than happy to answer them.

DISH Network SD Solo 512 DVR TV Satellite Receiver / Tuner (DVR512) 139$

is this ok for basic non HD, I dont mind paying the 4 per month for record..

Yeah it's very good it's basically exactly the same as the 522/625 except with no TV2 output. TheKrell is correct it is $6 a month.

Anyway, I had a 625 for 2 years, one of the best receivers I ever owned, very stable, I'd even go as far as saying it's more stable than my current HD ViP 722k's, so you won't regret it!

As for the 100 hours, I believe it's actually 150 hours, at least, the 625 had 150 hours, after a firmware update ages ago. It did initially only have 100 hours. Looking at the software history, they look to be running the same software, however I guess there is a chance that the 512 only has 100 hours... Either way that's a good bit of space!

100 hours. It is a 522. They replace the model number door with a blank one, cover up tv2 outputs with a plastic piece, and use software to disable tv2. Same hardware though

It's a good one. Reliable, too. I had a 508 but preferred the features on my 721. Sadly, the 721 wasn't reliable, and seven of them passed thru my house. But the 508 soldiered on thru them all.

Can't use the 512 on Eastern Arc, though. Are you looking at 110 & 119?

Keep in mind it will eventually be phased out, but you should get years of use.

I must say, the price seems high. You could get a ViP211 for less than that. And the ViP211 will be new, can be used on both EA & WA, and could eventually be used for HD when you move that way.

Please let us know what you decide.

Yep. I certainly don't recommend the ViP222.

I can't help but believe that a 512 can be had for much less.

i got the 625 for 129$ only because they didnt have a 512... is that an ok price..??? i am in north eastern idaho

i got the 625 for 129$ only because they didnt have a 512... is that an ok price..??? i am in north eastern idaho

That's certainly better than $139 for a 512. 625 is a great receiver. Better than the 512. 150 hours recording (make sure it's got no recordings, and to do an update, to get 150 hours, if it says only 100 hours available.) I believe that considering it's a dual-tuner DVR receiver, even being SD, that is an OK price.

I'm sure you'll be quite happy with the 625. It is a good, dependable machine. When some day you move to HD there will be new options in receivers. And if Dish requires you to move to an MPEG-4 capable machine one day, they'll make you a good offer.

I had a tech yesturday add a EHD to a 222k and had the DVR work so yes it can and CSR took the $40 to activate the hard drive
Your sig shows you have a 211k, not a 222k. Did you have a slip of the keyboard above? So far as we have heard, the 222 and 222k cannot accept the DVR upgrade at this time.

not at my house a tech in the field yesturday so as far as I am concerned it works. He is a techo geek and is on this forum I told him to post the fact that he he did it. the only issues he had was the customer did not have a 2nd tv so we dont know if it worked on the 2nd tuner

Matt with DISH Network here. The 222/222k will not work with an EHD. The supported receivers are: 211, 211k, 411, 612, 622, 722, 722k and 922. If a customer only has a 222/k on the account, our system will not allow the "activate EHD" option to appear. It sounds like there must have been a receiver that supports EHD's on the account, and that the tag was added in error. If the tech was able to get the 222k working with an EHD, I'm more then curious as to how. If you can post the details on how to get an EHD to work with a 222/k, I'm sure Tony, (who some of you have already became acquainted with) and myself will be busy trying to duplicate the setup.

Matt, perhaps you can address the following:

We have heard before that the ViP222 series has had at least two different motherboards. Early ones could not support the EHD feature, so the whole series would not ever support EHDs. Is this more or less correct?

And GEE- still have some 411s out there!?

Without trying to sound scripted, the official response to the 222/k not working with an EHD is "Software and Hardware limitations". I'm sorry, but I can't really speculate any more then the general answer. I will definitely try to find out more about why it is not supported and give as much information as I'm able too. Also, yes there are still 411's out there.

Well, at least it's a definite NO on the ViP222 series ever supporting EHD and that's what counts. Thank you.

Hey guys. Wanted to clarify a couple things. For all DVR's that are NOT the 922, its a $6 account level charge for DVR service (account level fee with 922 is $10). Also, if the 512/625 is an additional receiver over the primary, there is the $10 for the 512 receiver fee, $17 for the 625, in addition to that account level fee. The most expensive receiver on the account (if more then one) or the only receiver on the account is included in the package price (aside from the account level fee). This does not matter if the receiver was purchased or leased. Wanted to make sure everything was laid down in the open.

Last edited:
I know the 222k is not supposed to allow the EHD to work but how do you explain it working? is it something inthe works we dont know about. I dont want to argue either Frank was giving me a load of BS or it worked. I have been with the company for 3 years now and know it should not but how did it?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts