Sean Mota

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
New York City
YES Bulks Up Hi-Def Coverage
By Glen Dickson -- Broadcasting & Cable, 3/19/2007 7:07:00 AM
YES Network will now provide high-definition coverage of all New York Yankees games, both home and away, on YES HD, a new standalone HD channel that launches April 1. YES, which telecast its first HD game in 2004 and produced about two-thirds of Yankees games in HD last year, has secured carriage for the HD service on DirecTV as well as major cable operators Comcast, Time Warner and Cablevision.
YES HD will also feature all studio programs in HD, including pre- and post-game shows, "Yankees Batting Practice Today," and select "Mike & the Mad Dog" shows, utilizing a new 1200-square-foot HD control room within its Stamford, Ct. headquarters. Beginning in late fall, YES plans to expand its high-definition offerings by providing high-definition coverage of the NBA’s New Jersey Nets home and away games throughout the 2007-08 season.
YES Chief Operating Officer Ray Hopkins says that YES is moving to HD to maintain its "gold standard" production values for regional sports coverage. He notes that YES HD also meets demand from affiliates who are "looking to have highly-rated products in HD in order to drive HD penetration."
YES will also have the ability to deliver commercials in HD, though Hopkins isn’t sure what percentage of spots will be hi-def at launch. He notes that a small number of advertisers, including consumer electronics concerns like Sony, have run HD spots on YES in the past.

Starting with the Yankees home opener on April 2, YES HD will also offer "bonus cam" views and other interactive features, such as in-depth pitching and batting stats, through the YES Interactive on DirecTV service. YES Interactive, which relies on the processing power of DirecTV set-top boxes to generate the extra graphics, was only available in standard-definition last year.
New features for 2007 include in-game "Rival Alerts" that give frequent scoring updates on that longtime Yankees nemesis, the Boston Red Sox (unless they fall too far behind in the standings), as well as more in-depth "out-of-town scoreboard" statistics on other MLB games, including real-time situational updates on pitchers, batters and pitch count.
"Last year, you could scroll to the right and see who’s pitching, who’s batting and who’s on base," says Hopkins. "Now for the same game, for example, you’re able to see that Texas has Mike James pitching, Boston has David Ortiz batting, and the count is 3 and 2."
YES experienced strong usage for YES Interactive last season, as 42% of DirecTV viewers who had access to the service used it. Out of that subset, 82% used it more than once, and 25% used it 11 times or more.

Uhmmmm....not for me. Care little about baseball in general; even less about the Yankees in particular.

Don't mean this as a "slam", just that availability or not of YES network means nothing to me (and probably to a lot of other HD viewers). I'd be glad to see this channel on E* for those that are interested, but not compelling for many of us. NFL-HD, on the other hand, gets plenty of viewing at my house. To each his own....

#1 DMA in the country should be able to watch the YES Network on Dish Network. And as to what you say to each its own... I have never tuned the NFL HD network. :D

But the Yankees shouldn't be insisting on shoving the YES network down the throat of the whole country, and pricing it as a national channel.

Thats the nature of the beast... Everyone wants to be in the basic tier... Just like MLB new channel and all other RSN channels....

BTW, Charlie mentioned that he would put YES HD on Dish Network if could get the same deal as with the Cable operators. It has been more than a year after the cable operators worked the deal with YES but charlie did not keep his promise... cough... again...

Interesting that you mention cable operators. What cable companies and more importantly, what locations carry YES ??

Anyway, # 1 market or not, YES is a regional channel. Don't make me pay for it unless I add it a la carte. Of course YES will never accept that option.

Interesting that you mention cable operators. What cable companies and more importantly, what locations carry YES ??

Anyway, # 1 market or not, YES is a regional channel. Don't make me pay for it unless I add it a la carte. Of course YES will never accept that option.

are all the other RSNs a-la-carte as well? Cable Operators --- the majority of them carry YES -- includling the big ones like comcast, timewarner, cablevision...

My question... is why did charlie not get the same deal as the cable operators... right now YES on cablevision is on Family Package not a basic tier... shouldn't Dish Network be able to get this same deal as the cable operators? (correct me if I am wrong)

"Big" cable operators ?? Cablevision ?? Ummmm, where are they ?? Oh, the NY area.... What they carry doesn't mean squat to the rest of the country.

I'm sure TWC ... in the New York area ... carries YES. TWC in Ohio doesn't though. According to wikipedia, "The channel is available in New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, and parts of Pennsylvania and nationally on DirecTV.". I presume those (4) states to mean "Cablevision" markets. Honestly, does any cableco outside of the greater NY area, i.e. non-Cablevision, carry Yes ??

When I said a-la-carte, I did mean similar to how the RSNs are offered today. Sorry for the confusion.

are all the other RSNs a-la-carte as well? ...
The RSNs are, by definition, regional. They only way to get out-of-market RSNs is to get the (extra cost) Sports Pack. And even then (AFAIK) the professional games are blacked out if you're outside the RSN territory. So WHY would anyone outside the greater NYC area want to pay extra for YES?

The RSNs are, by definition, regional. They only way to get out-of-market RSNs is to get the (extra cost) Sports Pack. And even then (AFAIK) the professional games are blacked out if you're outside the RSN territory. So WHY would anyone outside the greater NYC area want to pay extra for YES?

Just want my RSN in HD......could care less about YES and the Yankees here.

Ahh...Must be spring....The annual YES thread has returned....Where's my shotgun? ;)

NightRyder

LOL. You know if you guys are so demanding to have YES, why are you still on E* to begin with?

When i'm home on vacation or whatever, I love watching Mike & the Mad Dog, by far the best sports talk show in the country and i'm not even a NY sports fan. Center Stage is another great show on YES, very much like the old Roy Firestone Up Close series that was on ESPN for years and years.

It depends on where you live if pro sports are blacked out on the sports pack. Where I live, Comcast Sports Net Chicago is the RSN that is included in my Total Choice Plus package, however, i'm also in the home market for every other Midwestern pro sports team, which I can view games "blackout free" via the sports package.

Thats the beuty of competition. Consumer have the option to choose from a multitude of video providers. And the Video Providers can tailor their offerings to include or exclude(yankee fans) any way they want. Unlike a cable monopoly. E* is free to pick and choose what programming to offer without severley impacting the Yankees Fan Base. Yankee Fans can freely move to another provider without forcing non Yankee fans to support their expensive habit/addiction

I believe that we all pay for channels that we do not want on the basic tier. So where are those channels that we all pay for but I do not want to pay for it as well. I am all for a-la-carte but that is not the real world where we live. I do not want A&E, LIFETIME and some others yet I paid for it because there are others that care about the channel. There is no difference. As I said, this channel and NESN HD blows away every other RSN HD channel out there and yet Dish does not carry it. The compelling argument of Charlie just makes him look dull at best.

As I asked before Charlie was quoted in the Media that if the Cable Operators reached an agreement with YES, he will follow suit. Well he did not--- another promise broken

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts