Is this compelling enough content? YES Network HD in HD all the time

Dish Network remains the only cable or satellite provider in the New York City area not to carry YES, and has indicated that it will not offer YES unless YES asks for a lower subscription fee. YES, however, has a most favored nations clause with all of its cable and satellite operators. If YES lowered its price for one operator, it would void all other contracts. Ironically, YES minority owner Goldman Sachs also has an ownership stake in Dish Network parent Echostar.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/YES_Network

The answer is almost certainly ZERO. Why carry YES Network in an out-market cable system when you would be forced to black out all Yankees games, all Yankees replays, and perhaps half of the remaining programming?
How does DirecTV handle it ?? Is it a regional-only package for them ?? Then again, D* has overpaid for packages in the past and had their entire subscriber base subsidize the cost. I'd read that this is the case with Sunday Ticket, for example.

Not necessarily. "Favored Nations Clause":

What is the clause? Here is an example of typical language:

“In the event of a price decline, or should you at any time, during the life of this agreement, sell the same materials or service, under similar quantity and delivery conditions, to ________, at prices below those stated herein, the agreement vendor will immediately extend such lower prices to ________.”

http://www.esourcingforum.com/?p=21

Baseball is my favorite sport. I watch many games every season. But I would not be in favor of paying even $1/month more to get YES HD. Reason being that I absolutely hate the Yankees and would only watch YES when they played the Red Sox. When playing the other 143 games, the channel might as well be The Soap Opera Network for all I care.

Why do New Yorkers, or New Yorker-wannabees think the rest of the nation is all ga-ga over things New York. Nobody cares. During the Mets/Yankees World Series I remember listening to a NY sports radio talk show, and the guy asked the non-New Yorkers if they were excited about the WS as they were. Needless to say, every call from other parts of the country answered a resounding NO.

I believe the ratings for this WS were very low as well. I don't remember the year. I think Chuck may be correct on this one (ouch that hurt), not worth it.

Why do New Yorkers, or New Yorker-wannabees think the rest of the nation is all ga-ga over things New York. Nobody cares.
Some people don't think outside of their "world". I mean, sure there's Yankee fans in Ohio or Florida or California, but in general, sports teams are regional. I believe that YES Network would be a massive failure outside of the greater NY area and that's no disrespect to NY fans or residents.

Tell me this, how many people in NYC would pay for Fox Regional Sports for Cincinnati ??

Why do New Yorkers, or New Yorker-wannabees think the rest of the nation is all ga-ga over things New York. Nobody cares. During the Mets/Yankees World Series I remember listening to a NY sports radio talk show, and the guy asked the non-New Yorkers if they were excited about the WS as they were. Needless to say, every call from other parts of the country answered a resounding NO.

I believe the ratings for this WS were very low as well. I don't remember the year. I think Chuck may be correct on this one (ouch that hurt), not worth it.

As hall points out New yorkers are very regional in their thinking. When I was in college in Boston many of the students from NY were upset that they could not receive the NY local channels and that the channel numbers for the network affiliates were different from those in NY. Some even thought that the Boston stations should show the NY local news---not just cover NY but actually show the local news from the NY stations.

Despite all politics and preferences exhibited in this thread I would be very happy if E* offered YES preferably as a top tier or premium channel so those that don't want it won't feel as if they are subsidizing others. Having it in HD would be preferred.

What is the problem with you people?. It was already explained that YES is regional network and only wants to be shown in Yankees market, not nationwide. What is it going to take for you people to understand that?. That is how D* shows it. Only people in NY Yankees market receive YES. If somebody else wants it, they have to pay for sports package that includes other RSN's.

Ratings for NYY vs NYM WS were low, but others were even lower. Following year WS between SF Giants and LA Angels was the lowest rated series ever.

If E* elects to carry YES, it should be made available to anyone who would be willing to pay for it regardless of location.

They won't ever offer it. E* wants to be dirt cheap for the channel and YES cannot accommodate that without lowering their cost to all other providers. Also, E* doesn't like RSNs very much as they jack up costs regionally and many customers don't even watch them. I spoke with a rather high up E* rep last year when I had E* and he said they had no plans of adding it and there were no negotiations for it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)