Is this correct (upgrade to hd dish and dvr)

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

BASDSucks

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 14, 2006
PA
As of right now, i have a DVR 625 that i use on both the tvs in my house (32 inch sd tv and a 34 inch hd tv w/ upscaling). I called dish to see about a HD upgrade, just locals and not like 30 HD channels i wont watch. And the guy on the phone said it would be $179+ tax for the new dish, hd dvr and installation.. That cant be right... can it.. Im still on my 18 month commitment and they wanna charge me 200$ more just for 4 or 5 Local HD channels?! Is there anyway to not pay all of that at one, i definitely dont have that much money to spare just to watch lost and prison break and stuff in HD

Well I assume you got a free install with what you have now. You are still under your contract and now you want more stuff. So yes that sounds about right.
That sounds pretty good to me considering that the new receiver you want is around $500-$600 if you bought it right out and the Dish is over $100 and plus labour. Also yes if that is all you want is local channels. You would be better off trying to get something for nothing if you told them you wanted the other 30 HD channels.

Well I assume you got a free install with what you have now. You are still under your contract and now you want more stuff. So yes that sounds about right.
That sounds pretty good to me considering that the new receiver you want is around $500-$600 if you bought it right out and the Dish is over $100 and plus labour. Also yes if that is all you want is local channels. You would be better off trying to get something for nothing if you told them you wanted the other 30 HD channels.

But that $500-600 receiver is not being sold, it is on lease. That is the problem with dish or direct, if you want to change things in middle of the contract, no one is going to care about you. Thats one good thing with cable, at least there is no contract, no upfront fees. I moved out of dish for the precise reason of these upfront fees (then, they wanted me to shell out $700 for 942, which soon would've been replaced by 622 (which was not disclosed by their sales, but I got it through this forum). Since I was out of contract, I got a great deal with cable without any contract. So far, I am sticking with it.

It is good that Dish has also removed the upfront DVR lease fees for new customers and you have an option of not getting into the contract by paying the $49.

If all you need is the local HD, OTA seems like a economic option.

If one were to buy a 942, what fees are we looking at to get it to work? I have a 625 with At100 w/locals. I don't want HD programing other than OTA. What is the difference between the 942 and 622?

Thanks

942 is a dual tuner dvr mpeg2 HD receiver (however, the HD programing will not be activated on this unit any longer unless you already have an HD pack or have another HD receiver activated on the account first) with tv1 and tv2 outputs. It has a third tuner for OTA (digital and analog, analog connot be used by dvr). It has a slightly smaller hard drive for recording. Similar unit to 622

It sounds about right. I am in the middle of my current contract under my SD DVR, and I will be upgrading next week to the HD DVR. It gets a little hairy. Dish will provide a new HD DVR and free installation all for free...but this is how it was described to me. The new customer will pay $249 up front fees. They will get a $49 credit on their first month's bill for the "installation." Then the customer will get a $20 per month credit for 10 months off of their monthly package payment...thus giving them a "free" HD DVR. HOWEVER, their "Dish Builder" site said NOTHING about any up front fees. Still confused, but here's the deal their going to give me...I pay $179 up front and get a $49 credit off of my first bill after the installation. I currently am in the middle of a $10 per month promotion that I will keep and then I will get another $10 per month off for 10 months. (I think I have about 5-6 months left on the other $10 promo.) So...as Dish says...in the end I'll only be paying $29 for the upgrade. At least from their point of view. It's a long way around it...but I DON'T want to go to cable and DirectTV is more expensive. I bundled my Dish with AT&T so I get another $4 off per month, so my DVR fees are almost free as well. I will pay $140 per month for my DSL, Dish, home phone and my wife's cell phone. Once the promos are gone...I'll pay $160 for the same services...when I bring my wife over to Sprint with me...I'll drop the Cingular and only pay $120 for phone, Dish and DSL. Not bad with HD programming as well. (Sprint will only charge me $15 per month to add her line to my service.) So...not too bad in the long run.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)