is this legal with Direct TV?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

robertjp

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 22, 2004
Upstate NY
I have a direct tv account at home with 2 recievers, 1 HD pvr and 1 regular sd reciever. We have a cottage 150 miles away. Am I allowed to put up a dish at the cottage and take the sd reciever back and forth? (I know I will have to setup in each place) Will the reciever work and is D tv ok with this? Thanks

P.S I have an old fashion 18" round dish that I would use at the cottage with 1 LNB (2 wires coming out) is this a dual lnb or single?

Dual LNBF in that dish, ie one sat - two tuners.

Legally ? See that contract you signed; but many ppl doing that without hesitation ;).

I have a direct tv account at home with 2 recievers, 1 HD pvr and 1 regular sd reciever. We have a cottage 150 miles away. Am I allowed to put up a dish at the cottage and take the sd reciever back and forth? (I know I will have to setup in each place) Will the reciever work and is D tv ok with this? Thanks

P.S I have an old fashion 18" round dish that I would use at the cottage with 1 LNB (2 wires coming out) is this a dual lnb or single?

Your "old fashion" will work fine. You only need the 101 (most likely) unless your locals are elsewhere.
I cannot speak to the legality but it'll work. IMHO if you are only in one place at a time, it's OK... that is not an official answer.

:cool:

yes that will work fine. The LNB is a dual.

Many folks do it (we are one of them) who take a receiver to the cabin/cottage/lakehouse with no issues. But some folks will post their goody goody "oh thats illegal per your TOS" but as posted above, many many folks do it. Now if you leave the receiver there permanently then it becomes "account stacking" or account sharing which is wrong

OK thanks guys, I will work on it.

What is the name of the switch that will combine the 2 lnb wires into 1 so I can run it to the reciever?
Or can I only use 1 of the 2 wires?

OK thanks guys, I will work on it.

What is the name of the switch that will combine the 2 lnb wires into 1 so I can run it to the reciever?
Or can I only use 1 of the 2 wires?

Take the SD box and you only need 1 of the wires. Don't forget to go through the set-up menu to pick the round dish.

I've always thought that as long as you are using YOUR account in only 1 location that DTV shouldn't get their panties in a bunch. Technically against the TOS - yes. Really wrong to do - no.

Where can I find what satellites are available at that zip code (13679) and how do I know which one to shoot at? Or which one has the most channels? Im not really fussy there with locals, etc, just want a bunch of channels. (using a generator for juice, so whatever I get is a bonus). Thanks

OK thanks. So its ok to disconnect 1 wire from the LNB and just hook the other wire directly to the reciever?

If you need to know where to point the dish just repeat sat setup and enter the zip as to where you are located and it will give you settings for your dish... oh and dont hook up a phone line

I know its not technically right but can I combine a rg59 wire to a rg6 wire and will it work? Is the rg6 wire fatter than a rg59? Thanks

P.S You guys are the best.

I've actually gotten work orders from directv for upgrades 2 boxer 1st in living room 2nd in living room .... of RV so go figure Ive also done movers connects in peoples vacation homes so the could bring thier receivers from another state - go figure

I know its not technically right but can I combine a rg59 wire to a rg6 wire and will it work? Is the rg6 wire fatter than a rg59? Thanks

P.S You guys are the best.

Yes, the RG6 is fatter than the 59. Stick with the 6 for best results. Don't forget to take a compass for aiming if needed.

robertjp,
The wires are different size but the conectors are the same size and you can barrel them together for a last resort...
I would not recommend it. The fewer changes you can make, the better off you are. Run a new wire if possible

OK thanks. I have 1 more question. When I go to setup mode (Where it asked you what kind of dish (I put in 18" round) , the "switch type" is grayed out to "multiswitch" What do I do there? I cant change it and I dont think I have a multi switch since its 1 lnb and 1 reciever. Will that be ok being on multi switch?

OK thanks. I have 1 more question. When I go to setup mode (Where it asked you what kind of dish (I put in 18" round) , the "switch type" is grayed out to "multiswitch" What do I do there? I cant change it and I dont think I have a multi switch since its 1 lnb and 1 reciever. Will that be ok being on multi switch?
You should not have to do anything there.

OK heres an update. I hooked up the 18" round dish at the cottage and I finally got it to work.
Had 1 opening left between the trees and it worked! Got the 101 sat with tons of channels but no locals. It wouldnt tune the NYC locals I think because I get my locals home in Rochester, NY. I guess Ill just deal with no locals unless there is another way. Thanks for all the help. Now my next question;

If I wanted to buy a separate box for the cottage would it work by just switching the card back and forth or do I have to bring the box itself back and forth? If I bought a cheap used
D tv reciever, couldnt I just swap the card each time? If I got another box from D tv, then Id have to pay the monthly fee for the extra line right? hmm... Thanks Im open for ideas.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)