Is this possible and legal?

tekkk

Original poster
Aug 3, 2007
Hi all,:)
I have an older Dish super dish setup. I also have a vacation home with no tv in it. I was told I can buy a receiver and satellite dish that is the same as mine, hook it up at the vacation home and just plug in my user card and it will work. Is this ok? I am still paying for the service and not running another receiver or anything like that. I am just moving the location of my existing setup. Or could I just buy a dish that is compatible with my receiver and bring the receiver with me when I go... Will it work, and above all else is it legal?

Thanks! :hatsoff:
Tekkk

Hi all,:)
I have an older Dish super dish setup. I also have a vacation home with no tv in it. I was told I can buy a receiver and satellite dish that is the same as mine, hook it up at the vacation home and just plug in my user card and it will work. Is this ok? I am still paying for the service and not running another receiver or anything like that. I am just moving the location of my existing setup. Or could I just buy a dish that is compatible with my receiver and bring the receiver with me when I go... Will it work, and above all else is it legal?

Thanks! :hatsoff:
Tekkk

It will not work.
Each card is "married" to the receiver. you can't just swap the cards.

Now you could setup the dish at the vacation home, and then just bring a receiver from home to the vacation home.

Well, then, if it's legal I'll do it! It beats watching dvd's at night. LOL
Thanks!!
tekkk

I took is as to using the access card in another receiver. Taking receiver to another address is illegal and he said he would do it if it was legal. I never heard or read anything about the legality of moving the access card.

Because moving the access card won't work; :)

and moving the receiver to a different address is illegal.

I wouldn't quite call it illegal. There is no law that is being broken.

Ok, not illegal -- but it violates the terms of your contract, and thus if caught, your service could be terminated.

Running two Dishes and two receivers at TWO DIFFERENT ADDRESSES under one account is in effect stealing satellite; which we do not condone on this site.

I am kind of amazed this thread has continued as far as it has :)

Under your scenario using a Dish receiver in an RV is illegal.

Yet it's done all the time and up until 9 months 10 months ago, Dish offered you a waiver to
watch television in your RV.

Now if he was to take one receiver to that second home and LEAVE it there, that's a violation of the terms of service. If he's carrying one for a weekend at a cabin it's really pushing the line to say it's a violation.

Dish made us get a seperate account for the RV, we could not take one of our home boxes with us.

Dish's website says that this is an option for RV owners.

"Mobile Service is for people on the go, such as truck drivers and RV owners. You can order up to nine movies before your smart card becomes full. Once your smart card becomes full you will need to connect your receiver to a phone line in order to clear the purchases. This service is $20.00 per year (not available monthly), and is only available on one receiver per account. Please call our Customer Service Center at 1-888-284-7116 to start Mobile Service."

DISH Network -- FAQs

Under your scenario using a Dish receiver in an RV is illegal.

Yet it's done all the time and up until 9 months 10 months ago, Dish offered you a waiver to
watch television in your RV.

Now if he was to take one receiver to that second home and LEAVE it there, that's a violation of the terms of service. If he's carrying one for a weekend at a cabin it's really pushing the line to say it's a violation.

Ok, without a doubt, if he is permanently putting a second receiver in a second location, it violates the TOS.

The question is about whether it is ok for a weekend? Why does time of a second location being active matter? I bet Dish's legal department would disagree with your interpretation, just my 2 cents.

oh god here we go again...the morality thing.

If you take it to the cabin for the weekend, there is no issue. The rule states that you cannot have 2 receivers at different addresses on one account. I interpret that as one receiver at home one at cabin all the time.

Taking it to the cabin for 2 days and moving it back is not that bad. We've done it for almost 10 years now. Dish won't care...just dont plug it into the phone line at the cabin.

my aunt has one in the motor home...and that thing is bolted in there...Dish knows its in the motor home and its on the same account as her 3 receivers in the house

And I wasn't interpreting his desire to just put it there for a few days; I can definitely see how that is different than leaving it in the cabin permanently.

:)

If the audit department calls and you, your going to have some problems if the receiver is not there when they call. If you have one receiver on your account they wont audit you anyways (99.999% unlikely) although I have read on here where someone with one receiver has gotten audited.

FSN South HD

Do i have to buy new eqipment to switch from dishnetwork to Directv?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)