Is this possible???

nickg420

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 31, 2005
Flowery Branch, Ga
Hi, everyone new to this site and Dish Network. I currently have a 625 DVR on 2 televisions at home. I will be recieving and 811 HD Reciever Friday. I would like to piggyback, for lack of a better term, the 811 on my DVR just for when I want to watch HI-Def programming but keep my dvr capabilities as well. I'm sure this is possible my only question is will the installer do this or say " no way if you want that call and order the $600 DVR with HD"? I know I will not beable to DVR Hi Def programming but that's not that big a deal as what I watch in Hi-Def will be live anyway.

Also, will my 811 allow me to view OTA HD signals as well without the addition of an huge outside antenna? My subdivision tends to frown on that sort of thing if you know what I mean.

Thanks for all help in advance.

Nick

nickg420 said:
My subdivision tends to frown on that sort of thing if you know what I mean.

Thanks for all help in advance.

I am in the same boat my home owners association does not allow anything other that a dish antenna outside the house. But I went with a Wine Guard antenna in my attic and I am able to pick up 8 or 9 HD channels when they are boadcast. Some of the channels are local weather and PBS. But I am only 28 miles from the stations if that helps any.

You have the right to install an antenna for OTA reception regarless of what the HOA says, it is an FCC regulation. Search for it and print it out and show it to them, they cannot stop you unless you are in an Historic region.

Nick, I'm not familiar with the 625, but I use a Panasonic E-85H piggybacked with my 811 and get great recordings from it. I have burned over 500 DVDs using this unit.

The 625 is the Dual Tuner DVR unit from Dish Network. Currently I have my main television as TV 2. I just want to piggyback the 811 for Dish Network HD Package and OTA HD broadcast only.

The thing is Dish network sells the 942 for like $600 wich does HD and DVR in one unit, and I'm getting this reciever for free. So actually I'm trying to do what the $600 942 does for free. I just hope the install tech doesn't get all by the book on me and tell me it's against Dish Network policy or some mumbo jumbo, and try to talk me into buying the 942.

I live about 50-60 miles from atlanta is there anywhere I can go to give me an idea of what HD and digital channels I can expect based on my location?

I understand that. I know I will not beable to DVR any HD programming and that's fine. I just want to have DVR capability for normal satelite feeds and be able to watch HD programming when I want on the same TV without spending $600 on a reciever.

So, if I piggyback the 811 theoretically I can still DVR normal sattelite from the 625 and when I want to watch HD flip to the 811 and watch my HD programming through it whether it's OTA or from Dish Network. Did that make any sense?

Nick, you can also DVR the HD shows via S-Video and get decent results. That's one nice thing about the 811, it outputs all ports hot at the same time so you can even record an HD show in SD as you watch it. Get yourself a combo DVR/DVD burner so you can archive movies and shows.

yea you can do it, all the installer or yourself has to do is split the second tuner output with a two way splitter running the second line to your 811's 8vsb tuner cartridge coax input or if your tv has a second ant port on it.

I also live about 60 miles NE of Atlanta, but I can't receive the stations reliably due to the terrain. Try typing in your address on www.antennaweb.org , and it can give you an approximate listing of stations you could receive. It showed me that I would receive no digital stations, but I was able to receive Channel 11 NBC (digital channel 10) reliably with the most recommended antenna for our area (Channel Master 8-bay UHF, sorry but I can't remember the model number).

Try using the forum under Yahoo groups, ahdtv ( http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/ahdtv/ ). You can get some very good, Atlanta specific info there.

Good luck,
Anthony

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)