Is this request unreasonable?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

JDS

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 6, 2004
We subscribed to DISH in 1997, and bought a 4000 receiver (full price) through a retailer. We've had constant DISH service ever since.

Then when Sky Angel moved to 61.5, we paid another $100 or so for an additional dish. (We are lifetime S.A. subscribers)

I conviced my parents and my sister to sign up with Dish, before they had the Club Dish discount program. We missed out on the Sprint/Dish discount, as we were already Dish and Sprint subscribers.

When we moved, the DISH installer came (we wanted a Dish 500) and he said, No how, no way, and left, claiming he couldn't get a signal.

We installed it successfully ourselves, at our cost.

About a yr ago, when our locals became available, we wanted a Superdish. This time, we didn't even bother calling Dish, knowing they wouldn't try to locate a signal. So we bought a Superdish off ebay, and installed it ourselves. The DP34 switch came with the Superdish, and DP44 was unavailable then.

After we bought the Superdish, we realized we had to update our legacy receiver, so we purchased a 508. Then we bought a second 508.

We have been without SkyAngel programming all this time.

Meanwhile, my parents got: free equipment (with a yr committment), a free 501 DVR receiver (Dish wrote to say that their legacy receiver is out of date, and they sent a free remanufactured one), and free Superdish installation. I'm glad Dish helped them, but I don't understand why they won't help me.

I emailed Dish and explained how we've never gotten any discounts or perks, and I had one request: that they would please send us a free DP44 switch. I got a reply that said I should call and ask to speak to an Executive Team member. I did, and I was over 40 mins on the phone. She gave one offer, then I explained how we are long time customers, and I thought Dish could do better. Then she gave another offer, and I felt like I was at a used car lot, not talking with a company who I've been a loyal subscriber for almost 8 yrs. In the end, she said they'd pay $100 and I'd pay $99 for a DP44. I said I could get it cheaper off ebay! She said to buy it from ebay then they'd give me a credit, up to $100. Well, stubborn as I am, I still don't want to do that. I think they are treating their customers horribly.

We are seriously considering leaving Dish and going with Directv. I never thought I'd say that. But we can put Sky Angel on a separate Dish receiver in a different room, and have Directv in two other rooms.

Is asking for a DP44 an unreasonable request? I saw an email address on another post here, to ceo@echostar.com -- should I send an email to him? Should we switch?

Thank you, and thanks in advance for your advice/comments/criticisms.
JDS

You asked for: advice/comments/criticisms

Here are my ideas . . . .

You need to Email the ceo@echostar.com everytime you you have an issue the normal CSR cant handle (or ask to talk to a SR CSR or the Excutive office).

When you Email . .
they will contact you, then you will get the number to a executive office SR SR CSR.
You wont get any better than the $100 already as the ceo@echostar is the ececutive office that you already talked to.

The problem is you should of emailed them years ago, you should of NEVER bought your own stuff, you missed Several $100 dollars worth of discounts over the years. Each year all you would of had to to is do a year contract each time to get the free upgrades.

Basicaly they only give you about $100 per year through the executive office, you missed several chances for this or about $300.

I would just take the $100 and go on.

Same thing happens with Direct TV on upgrades, you have to call and compain to the higher ups. With Direct TV they have a Customer retention department, same as the the Dish Exec office.

Your problem is partialy your fault as you never pushed the issue back then. Nothing you can do now.

now was it an installer from DNS or a sub? If it was a sub, I would bet that it is iffy on LOS and he :smug didn't want to go back there for future problems or having his check pulled for putting it in when there is NLOS. Now the other thing why didn't you call for the free upgrade? One year committment, free SD, heck for awhile free upgrade of a receiver, than they had the Dish'N' IT up promo at $25 they send you a receiver you lease, and they give you credit for your old one? $99 for a DPP 44, that is the cheapest I have ever seen it, is this switch stolen or defective? Asking for a free 'expensive' switch isn't totally out of the question, how much is it to sign up to sky angel again, than they may throw the switch in there out of need.

When we bought our first equipment in '97, we were unaware of any free equipment offers. Last yr, we didn't ask for Superdish upgrade because we knew they would come out here and say they can't get a signal in these here mountains in the boonies. (we can't even get cable or cell phone service) But hindsight being 20/20, I guess we should have called to have them try, then if they couldn't/wouldn't install it and we could, then we might could have called Dish for a refund. Maybe my experience will help someone in a similar situation.

As far as who the installer was that said he couldn't get us a signal ... it was whoever the DISH network sent. I called Dish to set it up. I don't know if the installer was a sub, but it was whoever Dish sent out.

And I later found out, the DP44 on ebay I saw was without the power inserter, so that price wasn't comparable.

Oh! I almost forgot ... I have another question.

Can I hook my 61.5 into the 110 port of the DP34? I realize I will lose 110 programming. ::) It is a legacy dish and single lnb, so I'll need to purchase (or beg Dish for) a Dishpro lnb, correct?

another thing to try, this is by no means as reliable as going with a 44, but find the mad scientists thread on cascading switches. Try putting 2 DP 21s after the 34 and see what you get. I have gotten to work a few times but the 61.5 needs a DP Single or dual on it.

JDS said:
Oh! I almost forgot ... I have another question.

Can I hook my 61.5 into the 110 port of the DP34? I realize I will lose 110 programming. ::) It is a legacy dish and single lnb, so I'll need to purchase (or beg Dish for) a Dishpro lnb, correct?
You'll need a dishpro LNB on 61.5 if you plan to connect it to the DP34 or DPP44.
If you ordered locals that require superdish then you are entitled to get a superdish free (if you agree to 1 year commitment). The mountains shouldn't make a difference unless the elevation angle is too low, but that's not the case because you are able to receive your satellites.
If Sky Angel is something you're paying extra for, then you should have gotten the 61.5 dish free as well.
Just remember next time don't be afraid to complain.
"The Squeaky Wheel gets the Grease"

I would continue with the threat to cancel. If they try to counter offer, say you'll pay for the DPDual, and install the second dish yourself, they provide the switch.

At $100 you're basically paying for a second dish install.. they aren't doing you any favors.

I still don't understand...at any circumstance, $100 for a new dish, a DP44 switch and professional instalation is a heck of a deal. If you did this through a retailer and not Dish, you're looking @ $100 for the second dish, and $150 to $200 for the switch...That's a huge discount off the MSRP price that Dish will give you

this offer sucks if i were you id demand a free 811 a free dp44 free second dish install and 3 months free aep for all the hassles they have put you and your family through
ARGUING WITH DISH IS SIMILAR TO PULLING TEETH

We already have the 61.5 Dish up and we watched it before we got Superdish. So it's installed, aimed, ready to go, except for a Dishpro LNB.

We paid for a lifetime subscription to Sky Angel... so it *is* something I've paid for once. I remember when they had it on 119 when we first got it in '97, then when they switched it to 61.5, there were no offers or deals, just $99 to buy it and we had to install it ourselves. And I'm sure our receiver is authorized to get those channels, but we can't hook it in to our Superdish without a DP44.

No, I don't want a new dish, professional installation or even a new receiver. (We are happy with our 508's that have no DVR fees) Just the DP44.

(Tech17, I think bcshields was saying that I would provide everything BUT the DP44... I'll install, I'll buy the DP LNB.)

I know I should have received the Superdish free like my parents, but based on our past experience, I know the installer would have walked out without trying. That was my own fault for not asking about that then.

And I was amazed that DIsh sent a letter to them out of the blue, saying they were sending a free 501 because their current equipment was too old. I guess if we'd had patience, maybe they would have sent us one, since ours is even older. So I guess Dish isn't all bad, since they take care of some (but not all) of their subscribers.

Thanks so much for the replies. You have given me some ideas to try.

An update: I am pleased to post that Dish Network is helping me out. I sent an email to the ceo@echostar.com address that I found somewhere in a post on this board. (Thanks to whoever posted it!) And I got a phone call from a fellow who works in the executive office and he scheduled a free install of a DPP44 for this Friday! I mentioned that our LNB for the 61.5 antenna is legacy, and he said he'd put it in the work order that if needed, they have authority to install a new DP LNB.

So I didn't have ANY wait time on the phone! And he was very nice.

My previous attempt was a long time on hold, and she was rude, and said Dish would pay for some of it, but not all. And I think she worked in the same office as the other guy. So it really matters who you talk to!

JDS said:
An update: I am pleased to post that Dish Network is helping me out. I sent an email to the ceo@echostar.com address that I found somewhere in a post on this board. (Thanks to whoever posted it!) And I got a phone call from a fellow who works in the executive office and he scheduled a free install of a DPP44 for this Friday! I mentioned that our LNB for the 61.5 antenna is legacy, and he said he'd put it in the work order that if needed, they have authority to install a new DP LNB.

So I didn't have ANY wait time on the phone! And he was very nice.

My previous attempt was a long time on hold, and she was rude, and said Dish would pay for some of it, but not all. And I think she worked in the same office as the other guy. So it really matters who you talk to!

I have used the ceo@echostar email 3 times when I was not being treated fairly. twice my account, once my parents. They are always customer savvy. They do care about the customer, the CSR's only make like 6 bucks per hour so they have less hope!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts