is this Retro Jams channel even legal?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

DapOrp

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 31, 2005
I've been noticing after sadly watching this Retro Jams channel that's taken over The Tube's former spot on G10R, that some of these videos they play do not look like they were taken from a legit source.

Several of the videos I've seen are of sub-standard quality and have clear indications that they were initially aired by MTV at some point. They almost appear to be video captures downloaded from the internet, or playbacks of someone's old VHS collection from when MTV actually played videos.

Who runs this channel? and where on earth do they get these videos from?

my best bet to answer that question would be to ask any advertisers who the cut the check to...

keep in mind that the copyright laws aren't always black and white overseas.

For example under the FCC rules you cannot say various words (remember George Carlin's old bit) on radio or tv...

I've got a shortwave and China radio international for some reason was playing Enieme's music without bleeps....

Well, I honestly haven't seen any commercials on this channel either. :)

DapOrp said:
I've been noticing after sadly watching this Retro Jams channel that's taken over The Tube's former spot on G10R, that some of these videos they play do not look like they were taken from a legit source.

Several of the videos I've seen are of sub-standard quality and have clear indications that they were initially aired by MTV at some point. They almost appear to be video captures downloaded from the internet, or playbacks of someone's old VHS collection from when MTV actually played videos.

Who runs this channel? and where on earth do they get these videos from?

My response is ... Do I care?

I thought that the videos looked poorly encoded but figured it was someone that didn't give a darn about what they were doing.

One thing I have noticed is that there appears to be a couple "standard" tapes that they play with all the same videos in a row playing back to back. Likely someone recorded a couple hours of videos on one tape and they just swap tapes every few hours. Quite possibly they could record six (or eight??) hours on a VHS tape and switch this once a shift.

its a nice channel...yeah the Tube was ncie too, but thats gone

so lets just enjoy what we have here :)

retro TV vs Tube TV

It would appear to me that the deal that Equity had with TubeTV has fallen apart for whatever reason. If you go to TubeTv's website, they seem to be modifying thier business plan a bit and going after HD station additional bandwidth (I refuse to call it multicast, because it's not). I suspect that Equity wants to do the same with their digital tiers, but could not strike a deal with TubeTV, thus Retro TV.

Lyngsat says that they are on AMC3 @ 4036, SR 3679. I cannot see AMC3 from here, can anyone verify if it is still there?

Also - I'd bet my left arm that they are not using VHS tapes. Digital storage is cheap, and streaming digital into a mux is infinately easier to manage than tapes. This is low quality encoded stuff. I'd bet it's at CIF.

Interestingly enough, you can watch RetroTV at thier website (which I seem to be forbidden to post the link here) . It is encoded in CIF running at 273 Kbps. I suspect that this is the lowest common denominator, which explains what we see on G10R.

Equity is not known for high quality video/audio. Listen to KEGS for example and listen to the audio overruns. That being said, I could almost live without Dish network with the programming that Equity has on G10R.

Matt
Tuolumne, Ca

Yup. Like I mentoned in another thread, The Tube is available as an OTA Digital station in my area. I was very surprised when I scanned my channels and The Tube showed up.

Very surprised, and very happy. :D

LOL...this reminds of me of when one of the many Farsi-speaking channels on IA-5 was airing a video with the "VIVA" (German music video channel) logo still on it! I got a kick out of that!

tvdxer when you saw this video?
what channel was playing it?
are they playing more videos from VIVA TV?
I love this channel thats why I am asking

thx

Sierra Matt said:
Lyngsat says that they are on AMC3 @ 4036, SR 3679. I cannot see AMC3 from here, can anyone verify if it is still there?

Matt
Tuolumne, Ca

I recently tried getting the Tube on C-Band AMC3, but was unable to get anything.I inquired to them and in a recent email from the tube, stated that they are stilll on AMC3.
I too would like to know if anyone is able to get the tube on AMC3

Jerry

VHS vs Digital Storage

Yes, digital storage is cheap. A VCR can be had for about $100 and a VHS tape for about $1. Maybe it is not a VCR but a burned DVD of videos in "linear" format rather than in "digital" files that can be randomly accessed. Thus you get four hours on a DVD+R (about $0.29) and a cheap DVD player about $29. So drop the VHS tape and move to the modern digital format.

But the same songs appear back to back at least when I was watching over servral nights. (Surprisingly I only rarely lose the 11700TP lately). In any case I'm going to log the videos and their order the next few times I watch and see if I'm imagining things or if they are repeating the same play list. Maybe it is because I'm so familiar with the videos that they just look the same. For some reason, though, I don't get the feeling that this is a "media server" streaming videos. But I'll have to see what I discover when I actively log what I see.

jjpicou said:
I recently tried getting the Tube on C-Band AMC3, but was unable to get anything.I inquired to them and in a recent email from the tube, stated that they are stilll on AMC3.
I too would like to know if anyone is able to get the tube on AMC3

Jerry
HI Jerry,
Yes the Tube is still on AMC3 (ac-3 audio), i was watching it last night.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts