Is This Right?

TimR21

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 8, 2003
The hard drive in my leased 522 gave up the ghost. Ok. No problem. I work with computers and hard drives all day long - it happens - the drive broke.

Here's what I don't understand....I had this 522 intsalled in late October of 2005 when I had my "free" Dish Mover. So, when I called Dish (tech support option, of course) and told them to send me a new one I was shocked when she said there was only a 90 day warranty on the 522!??!!! First, it's a leased unit - shouldn't they be responsible for supplying me a new one regardless of a warranty? I mean isn't understood that I'm agreeing to pay them a monthly fee for the device in good, working order?

Anyway, she proceeds to tell me that it will cost $36 for them to send me a new one OR I could sign up for the $5.99/mo warranty and they'll send me a free replacement right away. After confirming there was not commitment time on the warranty I opted for that (afterall, I needed to have this wrapped up before the next episode of 24!)

I still just don't understand how they can charge me to replace their unit that failed!! It is presumed that they're supplying me with working equipment as part of the lease agreement isn't it? Can someone explaiin this "lease" racket they've got going on here? Or can you let me know if I just got scammed by a bad round of CSR roulette?

Thanks,
TimR><>

Ah, Yes, but most car leases are only for 2 years (within the warranty), just so this situation doesn't occur. (However some companies are moving towards longer leases 36 and 48 mths).

TimR21 said:
Sounds like a great reason to buy a car rather than lease!

TimR><>

That is a totally different discussion. For some buying makes sense, for others leasing makes sense. Same goes for STBs. I prefer to lease but others prefer to buy.

TNGTony said:
When my leased car breaks down I have to pay to fix it if it is out of the factory warranty. I even have to pay for maintenance!

See ya
Tony

And if you lease (or rent) a house and the roof falls in, you pay for it, right?

It all depends on the agreement that was signed by the lessor / lessee, nothing more, nothing less. Also, your rights MAY depend on the state of your residence.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts