Is this sat setup possible?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

john81

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 18, 2009
North Pole
Ok, I would like to combine the 72, 129, and 148 sats on a sw-21 + sw-21x 3 sat setup. First of all, is this possible (has anyone done this)? And if so, what input does each sat go in?

The reason I would like to do this, is because I am on the west coast (very little reception to 61.5), and want to take advantage of the MPEG4 programming on the 72, instead of 110/119. Oddly enough the 72 comes in fine.

Thanks for any input!

Better Solution

Ok, I would like to combine the 72, 129, and 148 sats on a sw-21 + sw-21x 3 sat setup. First of all, is this possible (has anyone done this)? And if so, what input does each sat go in?

The reason I would like to do this, is because I am on the west coast (very little reception to 61.5), and want to take advantage of the MPEG4 programming on the 72, instead of 110/119. Oddly enough the 72 comes in fine.

Thanks for any input!

First of all I am not sure why you would want to get 72.7, I know you said you want the mpeg4 compression scheme, but first you MUST have vip recievers, but with the talk of 21 SW's I am assuming you know that already... I think 21 SW's are not the best solution to begin with, what LNBF do you have now? If you have a 1000.2 you can simply run a split dish into the LNBF port and whalla you have 72.7... or you can do three single dishes with a 34 SW, I think that is the best solution if you MUST have 72.7...:cool:

If you do that, the receivers will explode!:eek:

Thanks for any input!
Honestly, the only thing you'll gain is SD programming in MPEG4. You won't notice any improvement in PQ with MPEG4 on SD. All the HD programming is MPEG4 no matter which sat. it comes from.

Thanks for the replies.

I do not own any dish 1000's (nor do I plan on buying one), I have 3 separate dish 300's running all on legacy lnb's. I have an sw-21 and sw-21x...theoretically this should allow me to run 3 sats into my ViP receiver.

I want the programming from 110,119,129 and 148...a total of 4 birds. Therefore, the 72 is ideal because it comes in with great signal and it takes the best of 110 and 119 into one bird. (the 77 is garbage for me). Also my location has almost no signal for 61.5, so that is out of the picture.

I'm just wondering if it is possible to put the 72, 129, and 148 through a sw-21/sw-21x triple sat setup?

If you do that, the receivers will explode!:eek:

I don't see why? Aren't all receivers compatible with legacy equipment?

or you can do three single dishes with a 34 SW

Do you mean an SW64? SW 34's are used to combine a 2 sats and an OTA signal. I know other multiswitches are possible, I'm just wondering I can use the sw-21 and sw-21x I have now.

Any further feedback would be appreciated!:)

john81 said:
I'm just wondering if it is possible to put the 72, 129, and 148 through a sw-21/sw-21x triple sat setup?
Should be. Run 2 LNBs into the SW21x, the SW21 will take the SW21x output on input 1 and the 3rd LNB on input 2. Run a check switch. Make sure your receiver has the purple G3 smart card for 72.
21 SW's, 34 SW, SW 34's
None of these is the name of any Dish Network switch. Note john81's resulting confusion. SW## indicates a legacy switch (SW21, SW64, etc). DishPro and DishPro Plus switches are DP## and DPP## (DP34, DPP44, etc).

no it won't work.. you can't switch a switch.. they will burn out.

not to mention the 148 is being retired.

why not use your 3 legacy lnbfs with a 64switch and a W bracket on a 1000 reflector? or you can use the same switch with your 3 300 dishes

The SW21X is equivalent to half of a SW42, which indeed can be cascaded with an SW21. Been there, done that. :)

You're wanting MPEG-4 programming which assumes you have a ViP receiver. They are DishPro but fully compatible with all legacy dish equipment.

If whatever three satellites you point those dishes at has the channels you want, go for it!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)