Is this the Future of DVR's

:welcome to Satelliteguys.

You know I have wondered that for a long time now.

When a seperate license is requried to add a show to streaming video service, you will always have conditions placed on the streaming content.

Products such as a standalone TIVO, or slingbox are not tied to the content. When you seperate the product from the content, you increase customer freedom. To some degree, a built in DVR is not tied to content. There is only one broadcast of that content, one broadcast means one license, not two as with VOD.

Ondemand has some advantages, but with this move by ABC, you can bet EVERY program provider will require the same thing. This is good for Satellite.

I wonder how this impacts the Comcast deal with TIVO. If they are going to use TIVO as the user interface for DVR and Ondemand, does that mean no FF on DVR recorded programs?

When a seperate license is requried to add a show to streaming video service, you will always have conditions placed on the streaming content.

Products such as a standalone TIVO, or slingbox are not tied to the content. When you seperate the product from the content, you increase customer freedom. To some degree, a built in DVR is not tied to content. There is only one broadcast of that content, one broadcast means one license, not two as with VOD.

Ondemand has some advantages, but with this move by ABC, you can bet EVERY program provider will require the same thing. This is good for Satellite.

I wonder how this impacts the Comcast deal with TIVO. If they are going to use TIVO as the user interface for DVR and Ondemand, does that mean no FF on DVR recorded programs?

Time to break out the VHS!

I came across this story when up in NYC earlier this week, corporate pilot. The talking heads where saying this was just the start. The networks where talking about this eventually being applies to OTA, cable and sat transmissions, not just PPV.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts