Is this traveling or is it a bad call? (HS JV game)

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

TNGTony

Unashamed Bengal Fan
Original poster
Sep 7, 2003
Cincinnati, Ohio, USA

[youtube]mEMYSh5w9Ho[/youtube]

So, is this a 3 point buzzer-beater at halftime or is this traveling, no shot?
Why? Why not?

I am just interested in opinions out there.

Last edited by a moderator:
That is a walk. He stopped his dribble and then took 2 steps. 1 1/2 would not have been a walk.

I watch a lot of HS bball, my son on JV team now. The way refs currently call games, that is not a walk. They give you 2 steps all the time. They also give the 2 steps into a jump stop. Game ref'd very different that when I grew up. You show that clip to 100 current HS refs and 95+ say it' not a walk.

Three? I see 2, the same number just about everyone takes on a lay-up or slam. I have another discussion going on a HS sports forum locally and there is heated discussion. One says the walk happened before the single dribble, the others are arguing over the 1 and a half vs two steps. It is interesting seeing all the different POVs and informed opinions

I watch a lot of HS bball, my son on JV team now. The way refs currently call games, that is not a walk. They give you 2 steps all the time. They also give the 2 steps into a jump stop. Game ref'd very different that when I grew up. You show that clip to 100 current HS refs and 95+ say it' not a walk.

Agreed. That isn't any more steps than most people take on a layup. Also, I never got the 1 1/2 step rule. What exactly is a half step? To me that is weird wording for a rule book because I don't think it can be clearly defined without requiring an interpretation from each individual referee. I say a step is a step whether it is big or small. I don't know how to take a half step.

I don't know how to take a half step.
I agree! The half step to me has always been the one taken in the act of shooting.

BTW I have no skin in this game. It may have had an effect on the final outcome (The JV coach was eventually T's up for other "questionable" calls), but the final score was more than a three point difference.
The whole game is here

Last edited by a moderator:
Three? I see 2, the same number just about everyone takes on a lay-up or slam. I have another discussion going on a HS sports forum locally and there is heated discussion. One says the walk happened before the single dribble, the others are arguing over the 1 and a half vs two steps. It is interesting seeing all the different POVs and informed opinions
It's the same with some block/charge calls, and pass interference calls in football. There are definitions, but in the end it still becomes a judgement call...

I suspect this is what the NBA calls continuation.
NBA Rulebook said:
Upon gathering the ball, an offensive player may only take two steps before he must release the ball on the pass or shot attempt.
From what I can gather, gathering the ball is when you touch it with your other hand.

I'm not a referee, but I would have called the basket good. It is difficult to watch with that horrible transition they use.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)