Is this true

shocker510

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 2, 2005
Johnson City,Tennessee
This guy stops in my brothers golf shop today and says he made a dish 1000. Says he put a Y adapter on a D* phase 3 dish with a dp + twin lnb. Dont remeber what switch he is using, i'm assumeing a dp34 or dp+ 44 because of the primestar dish for 105. Just wondering if he is blowing smoke.

A y adapter would have room for 2 lnbs making it a dish 500 But the D* Triple dish is designed to get just about the same kind of satellite array so it should work to get 110,119,129 you dont even have to change LNBs, just make it a legacy system

shocker510 said:
This guy stops in my brothers golf shop today and says he made a dish 1000. Says he put a Y adapter on a D* phase 3 dish with a dp + twin lnb. Dont remeber what switch he is using, i'm assumeing a dp34 or dp+ 44 because of the primestar dish for 105. Just wondering if he is blowing smoke.

True? Most likely! But why? :confused:

No switch needed for 3 sats. Many ways to do 4 sats.

inwo said:
True? Most likely! But why? :confused:

No switch needed for 3 sats. Many ways to do 4 sats.
Because the Dish was handy?
As I see it, the Dual and one side of the Twin would secure into the Y.
I would be tempted to do that at my new house (previous owner left a Phase 3 dish), but York, PA is beyond the 129 footprint.

Though...I could always pull in 61.5 with a Dual and 82/91 with a Twin.

I dont think York, PA is beyond the 129 footprint. I know of people just a little south of York that have gotten 129 with a Dish300.

The Phase3 dish does 101 110 119. It should work fine picking up 110/119/129, might need to "massage" the 129 lnb a little to find the 1 degree off sweet spot. Also, beware I think Dtv does something wierd with the 110 lnb so you might need to swap it for a dish legacy lnb.

That's just crazy.... :D

There's nothing you'd need on 129 or 148 with your setup anyways...

roachxp said:
I have 4 sats 61.5/110/119/121 with a dp44. How do I get a 5th 129°or 6th 148° in to my setup?
Add DP21s to get the fifth bird. You're not gonna get 6, and I've never heard of a box that supported it anyway.

Note that you will lose the "Plus" features of the DPP44 on ports that are driving DP21s (because there isn't a DPP21 switch ;) ).

BFG said:
A y adapter would have room for 2 lnbs making it a dish 500 But the D* Triple dish is designed to get just about the same kind of satellite array so it should work to get 110,119,129 you dont even have to change LNBs, just make it a legacy system

Not quite. D* usues a modified LNB for the 110 and 119 slots. The 2 LNB's are combined together to create 1 set of transponders. The receivers know there are 3 satellites, but the 110/119 slots are shared, they use different transponders.

The way to use a Phase 3 as a Dish 1000 is as follows:

Remove Triple LNB, discard as it's of no use to Dish.
As 'Y' bracket
Place Dual lnb into one leg of 'Y'
Place one leg of Twin into the other leg of 'Y'

Viola, Dish 1000.

HokieEngineer said:
I dont think York, PA is beyond the 129 footprint. I know of people just a little south of York that have gotten 129 with a Dish300.
I tried to pull it in with my multi-sat setup, but no go (I pull in all 4 other sats that I use in my setup, so skew has to be correct). Perhaps there is an obstruction I don't see. I'll be putting my 61.5 back up this weekend (Just moved into a new house and havn't put the side sat up yet), I'll use it to see if I can snag 129 that way before swinging it over to 61.5

The tribeam with Philly was different.
Yes, the look angle is the same, I have that easily, I can get 148, so that's not the problem.
The problem is that the footprint of the satellite at 129 was designed for 110. The 19 degree shift pushes the extreme Northeast and Southeast out of it's signal path. The satellites don't broadcast 360 degrees, that would kill much power, they only send to a US sized area, which in this case is shifted over.

BFG said:
That's just crazy.... :D

There's nothing you'd need on 129 or 148 with your setup anyways...

I need to get LA CBS in HD I have free waiver for it. I need 129 just in case they add the new HD channels to it, or I just might move my 61.5 to 129 if the Voom channels and CBS-east are moved to it.

Phase III --> poor man's D1000

Well, the old Phase II or Para Todos dish is a snap.
As mentioned above, replace the center wierd LNB with a legacy, and leave the two outboard legacy LNBs.
I think I've seen rectangular-based DishPro LNBs, and if they weren't so expensive, three of those would be great!
Derwin0 said:
The way to use a Phase 3 as a Dish 1000 is as follows:
Remove Triple LNB, discard as it's of no use to Dish.
Add 'Y' bracket
Place Dual lnb into one leg of 'Y'
Place one leg of Twin into the other leg of 'Y'
Viola, Dish 1000.
I have most of that stuff in my hand right now.
You'd have to cut off 2 to 3 inches of the Phase 3's arm to get the "Y" to fit and put the LNBs at the right distance.
(and drill a hole through the arm)
I hate to "modify" something in a way that makes it unrepairable, but that's not always a consideration.
Mounting the Twin hanging by only one mounting screw is a mechanical concern, but an alignment worry, too.

I just get close with compass and inclinometer, leaving final tweaking to some hand-held meters.
So, the fact that the centerline of the antenna and the center of mass of the LNBs is not in a line probably wouldn't matter.
(I can even correct the skew pretty easily if it's off or mis-calculated)
I'd worry the outboard half of the Twin might not get enough signal.

Build one, take some pictures for the gallery, and let's hear your numbers. ;)
I think we can put this myth to bed. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts