Is This Wiring Diagram Correct

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

AlaJoe

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 5, 2005
After my first post here I have come to realize that Dish network and I have different definitions of Professional Installation. I still want the dish though and do not mind doing some work myself to get it done right. I will not have wires stapled to the outside of my house or laying on the ground. I want all my wires in the interior walls and have no problem doing this labor myself so I ask these questions:
1) Is the wiring diagram I have posted here http://www.joefoster.com/ a correct solution?
2) If I run all this wire myself and put outlet boxes in the walls and clearly label all these wires will the installer put the end connectors and faceplates on the boxes and make up wires to go from the boxes to the TVs.
3) Will I have to provide the wire faceplates and such?
I understand that DN does not want to pay the labor that would be involved in doing things professionally and I can live with that but am I going to have to eat the cost of the materials also if I want my install done right?

Joe,

As a former DN technician and a current independent installer, I can tell you that your diagram is correct. Just out of curiosity, what dish will you be installing? If it's a Dish 500, you could save cable and money by just running one RG6 cable to each receiver and use a DishPro Plus Twin. If your gonna get a Superdish, then you'll have to stick with your current diagram unless you wanna shell out the money for a DPP SW44. (Don't do that.)

It all looks good. If you ran all the cables internally and just had the cable ends sticking out of the boxes the installer would probably be ecstatic. The less cables he has to run, the better, for both you and him. DN Tech's carry dual and single wall plates and hardware and all that so that comes free with the install.

Bottom line is that if you want your installation a certain way other than the 'normal' install then yeah, running some of your own cables would be good. But don't go overboard, the guys gotta make his money somehow. ;)

Jason

I was just going for what is included at no charge. What would that be? Is there some reason to do an upgrade of some sort?

I wish you were my customer AlaJoe :) If the installer shows up in his own truck wearing regular clothes he's probably a sub so try not to bust on him too badly. I'm one of those guys and the people I sub contract for have NEVER given me any wall plates even though I have asked many many times.

LM

If you have the time and the ability I would run the extra RG-6 cable. Even if the tech brings a DPP LNB, you never know when you may need another cable for something in the future, or if a cable fails. Also run a phone line as well if they are not already run.

Some suggestions that worked for me:
I had laready drilled holes through floor into wall where I wanted the connection (where I had run coax for cable TV connection. So I told installer where holes were and he fed them through same place. Saved time and made me more comfortable that it would be done right.
He provided faceplates but not boxes. I later removed his faceplates and installed "old work" boxes. Makes faceplates stay on better. When I showed him what they looked like, he was surprised and was thinking that he would install them for others at extra charge. So I recommend cutting holes in wall and just placing boxes there. It gives a bigger hole (so he can get hands in to fish wires) and then he'll probably run the wires into the box for you at no charge. This way you won't have to retrofit as I did.

You know your house and where cables are. Installer was more than willing to use my ideas so figure out ahead where coax runs should be. Saved him time. For example, I had cable run to 2 rooms that came off of a splitter in basement. So I had him put 322 receiver in room where he could cleanly run his coax where my coax went through floor then use my coax as feed from the 322 back to splitter (which he removed) then connected to coax previously run to other room.
When he ran his coax from antenna to inside, I had him run it under deck and neatly along side of house and enter just where cable TV entered so all connections (cable TV, electric, gas, satellite) are colocated. I knew this allowed an easy connection into house
JohnP

"Old work" boxes are OK, but they also make square rings that will hold the faceplate just fine.

Especially good for those few times when there's not enough clearance for a box.

AlaJoe said:
After my first post here I have come to realize that Dish network and I have different definitions of Professional Installation. I still want the dish though and do not mind doing some work myself to get it done right. I will not have wires stapled to the outside of my house or laying on the ground. I want all my wires in the interior walls and have no problem doing this labor myself so I ask these questions:
1) Is the wiring diagram I have posted here http://www.joefoster.com/ a correct solution?
2) If I run all this wire myself and put outlet boxes in the walls and clearly label all these wires will the installer put the end connectors and faceplates on the boxes and make up wires to go from the boxes to the TVs.
3) Will I have to provide the wire faceplates and such?
I understand that DN does not want to pay the labor that would be involved in doing things professionally and I can live with that but am I going to have to eat the cost of the materials also if I want my install done right?
If you have the time and know-how to snake the cable, install outlet boxes, and figure the proper way to wire the whole thing, why not finish it yourself. Installing the connector and cover plate is the easy part. Then you know the job is done right.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)