Is TV Japan still on 61.5 and 148?

GaryPen

Rich or poor, it's good to have money.
Original poster
Supporting Founder
61.5 and 148 Internationals?

It seems that the single dish required to receive 110, 119, 129 and 118.7 is quite expensive. (Dish 1000Plus was the only thing I could find, which cost a bundle.) So, I was wondering if TV Japan was still available on 61.5 and 148? If so, I can just add a single dish pointed at 148 to the 4th LNB input on a reasonably priced 1000.2.

But, I've heard that 148 will be going away at some point, and I'm not sure what's up with 61.5 and the Eastern Arc deal. (61.5 can be tricky to see properly from my location, anyway.)

Or, is there actually an affordable single-dish solution for 110/119/129/118.7 that I am missing?

Thanks.

(BTW, for those who are wondering why I would buy this stuff, and not have Dish provide it, it is for a commercial installation at work where we have to pay for our own HW.)

Last edited:
Well, if you are not and have never been a Dish HD sub, then you could upgrade to HD. That gets the Dish 1000 installed and your new HD boxes, getting something quite nice for your upgrade price. Then, later down the road, you could then upgrade to internationals at 118.7 that could be less expensive than if you had to pay for the 1000+ yourself because it would require only a change-out of one of the LNBF's, specifically the one LNBF that looks at both 119 and 118.7.

If you are currently NOT an international subscriber Dish will NOT pay for the upgrade; you pay for it, unless you are currently and international sub looking at the wings for your internationals TODAY. Then Dish pays for EVERYTHING.

The problem is that I believe Dish is no longer installing or even activating any new international subs to the wings, even if you already have a dish looking at one of the wings today. 129 is now, officially, the ONLY way new international subs can get those channels. This means you won't be able to subscribe TODAY to any of the internationals on the dish you may have looking at one of the wings. Dish won't activate that. The reason is that Charlie doesn't want to have to pay all the expenses for your 1000+ upgrade just a few months or weeks after you become a an international sub. It might stink, but it is good business sense.

It seems that the single dish required to receive 110, 119, 129 and 118.7 is quite expensive. (Dish 1000Plus was the only thing I could find, which cost a bundle.) So, I was wondering if TV Japan was still available on 61.5 and 148? If so, I can just add a single dish pointed at 148 to the 4th LNB input on a reasonably priced 1000.2.

But, I've heard that 148 will be going away at some point, and I'm not sure what's up with 61.5 and the Eastern Arc deal. (61.5 can be tricky to see properly from my location, anyway.)

Or, is there actually an affordable single-dish solution for 110/119/129/118.7 that I am missing?

Thanks.

(BTW, for those who are wondering why I would buy this stuff, and not have Dish provide it, it is for a commercial installation at work where we have to pay for our own HW.)

Not really. 118.7 is an FSS satellite, thus can only be seen with an FSS LNBF. Unless you want to get a second dish (24" or above) with a stacked FSS LNBF to connect to a 1000.2, you're going to have to go with a 1000+ dish. I just checked DishStore.net, and a 1000+ dish and LNBF will cost you $129. It's not too bad of a price.

Well, if you are not and have never been a Dish HD sub, then you could upgrade to HD.
Thanks. This is for an existing commercial installation. So, unfortunately, none of that applies.

Not really. 118.7 is an FSS satellite, thus can only be seen with an FSS LNBF. Unless you want to get a second dish (24" or above) with a stacked FSS LNBF to connect to a 1000.2, you're going to have to go with a 1000+ dish. I just checked DishStore.net, and a 1000+ dish and LNBF will cost you $129. It's not too bad of a price.
I'm familiar with the whole 118.7 FSS deal. However, I didn't see the 1000+ for $129. That's perfectly reasonable.

Claude's site is pretty horrible. Stuff is listed poorly. Hard to find. Spelling and grammar mistakes. But, great prices! I'll go back and look again.

Thanks!

EDIT: Actually, it's the 500+ that is $129. I would need to add the 129 lnb PLUS a DPP44 switch. That's $129 plus $35 plus $179. Holy that's-way-too-freakin-expensive Batman!

TV Japan is on a Spot to Hawaii for a great reason $$$$$$$$$$

61.5 internationals are in the process of being evacuated, could be weeks could be months before the next language is permanetly moved off. The international channel video compression levels at 61.5 are horrible and should be avoided since they have them all jammed into a few transponders. I believe the transponder with TV japan @ 61.5 is TP 18 and it is by far the most packed with like 15 or 16 fulltime channels jammed onto a single MPEG2 QPSK TP. 148 would be less compressed, but 118 is probably the best place to go for picture quality.

I hope they plan to keep it on 61.5 for a while! I just subscribed a couple of weeks ago. The tech that came out didn't have the equipment to do the 1000+ so he added a wing dish to a 1000.2. (The woman tha took my order really messed things up.) The Dishnetwork CSR on the phone told him to point it to 61.5. I was really suprised they picked that one since I'm way west in AZ. The dish points straight across the roof, but somehow it still gets a good signal.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts