Is upgrading from a 625 to a 622 a big deal?

The Harrington

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 3, 2006
NYC/Lehigh Valley, PA
The reason I ask such a silly question is that the folks at Dish insist on coming to my house to do an "installation." What exactly do they have to install? I was assuming it's just a matter of unplugging the old and then plugging in the new. Not exactly rocket science. All I want is for them to mail me the damn receiver and then I'll mail them back the old one like I did when the HD on the 625 failed. Am I missing something?!? :confused:

The reason I ask such a silly question is that the folks at Dish insist on coming to my house to do an "installation." What exactly do they have to install? I was assuming it's just a matter of unplugging the old and then plugging in the new. Not exactly rocket science. All I want is for them to mail me the damn receiver and then I'll mail them back the old one like I did when the HD on the 625 failed. Am I missing something?!? :confused:

It's not costing you anything so let them do it. In my case, line of site dictated installing a second dish to get 61.5 since a tree was blocking out 129. Had I tried to self-install, I would have been in a mess. You never know. This way, you're covered.

It's not costing you anything so let them do it. In my case, line of site dictated installing a second dish to get 61.5 since a tree was blocking out 129. Had I tried to self-install, I would have been in a mess. You never know. This way, you're covered.

Thanks for the info. Does that mean they may need to install a second satellite dish? Or is that something they have to do to grab the HD signals?

I just upgraded a 625 to a 622. I already had 110, 119, and 61.5 (2 dish system) because I think a couple of our locals were on 61.5.

If you already have the satellites (you may need 129 instead of 61.5 depending on where you are) then this is a receiver swap. In fact the installer did his paperwork while I swapped it out. (My suggestion... I didn't need him clawing around inside my AV stuff).

I made it so easy for him that he went around and changed out any connections that weren't 3GHz rated, put some new ends on cables, AND left me a couple of connectors to change out 2 wall plates after he left.

I'm not one of those people that's super annoyed by having an installer come out. People have to make a living, but yeah, it would be nice to just have them mail you the receiver just for teh convenience factor.

Again... assuming you already have all the satellites you need, this is a receiver swap. OH! Except you'll want to ditch the s-video from teh 625 and get an HDMI or component cables to hook up the 622. :)

Dish needs to install a new dish as well. A Dish 1000.2 is what is required, a 3 lnb device for 110, 129, and 119. That is why they need to do an install.

Thanks for the info. Does that mean they may need to install a second satellite dish? Or is that something they have to do to grab the HD signals?

Yes, in Lehigh Valley they need to add 61.5 to your setup. Also, if you get your locals, the Phily HD locals are also on 61.5. If it is not added you will be missing out on over 30 of the HD channels, not counting the local HD.

Be happy about getting a second dish for 61.5. Yes, it's an additional dish. But in your location, you will get a much better signal for HD etc than you would from 129.

Just called and set up the appointment. By this time Sunday I'll hopefully be seeing things in High Definition. One other question -- above garys said the locals are on the 61.5 -- is there a list available that shows what dish you need for the different HD locals such as NYC or Wash DC?

Let them do this first installation since you need the new dish, alignment, etc. Then after this one you can probably self install, self activate any future additions or changes. When I first went HD in Dec. '05 with an 811 receiver, I had them do it and it was essentially the same deal - move my old D300 to "see" 61.5, install a new D500 for 110/119, install a DPP44 switch, etc. There was only 1 new cable to run from the LNBs to the switch, but I let E* pay for that as well. I have made 2 subsequent changes myself (622, 211).

I think E* ought to allow some credit for us DIY'ers when we save them a truck roll...!

Here's your dish channel chart (credit to TNGTony and others). It will tell you what channels are on which satellites:

Dish Network Channel Chart (Unofficial)

The links to the lists by channel are down a bit. Look at 61.5, 110, 119. I assume those are the only sats. you'll be seeing with "standard" programming including national and local HDs. Don't forget that you need to sub. to locals to get the HD locals via sat. You might also have a good shot at receiving a lot of locals (SD and HD) over-the-air from your location, maybe even with a cheap indoor antenna! If you're getting a 622, that will allow you to take full advantage of its capabilities like recording 3 HD channels at once!

BRgds...

Let them do this first installation since you need the new dish, alignment, etc. Then after this one you can probably self install, self activate any future additions or changes. When I first went HD in Dec. '05 with an 811 receiver, I had them do it and it was essentially the same deal - move my old D300 to "see" 61.5, install a new D500 for 110/119, install a DPP44 switch, etc. There was only 1 new cable to run from the LNBs to the switch, but I let E* pay for that as well. I have made 2 subsequent changes myself (622, 211).

I think E* ought to allow some credit for us DIY'ers when we save them a truck roll...!

Here's your dish channel chart (credit to TNGTony and others). It will tell you what channels are on which satellites:

Dish Network Channel Chart (Unofficial)

The links to the lists by channel are down a bit. Look at 61.5, 110, 119. I assume those are the only sats. you'll be seeing with "standard" programming including national and local HDs. Don't forget that you need to sub. to locals to get the HD locals via sat. You might also have a good shot at receiving a lot of locals (SD and HD) over-the-air from your location, maybe even with a cheap indoor antenna! If you're getting a 622, that will allow you to take full advantage of its capabilities like recording 3 HD channels at once!

BRgds...

Thanks for the link - had exactly the info I wanted. I will be getting my locals through Dish and have looked into other OTA channels. Problem is the Lehigh Valley is just that, a valley, so I am told it may be difficult to get the clear line of site needed to grab a good signal. I am still going to give it a try but I am not going to kill myself installing an antenna given I will already be getting my locals.

I talked to Executive Relations and they had to 'add' the 61.5 to my customer profile in order to just ship me my VIP722. As it was, I needed 2 VIP211s anyway, so I had to talk to them in order to get that through DIU.

The guy I talked to didn't know why the 'ship upgrade' wasn't allowed. He talked to someone else in the department and they told him that it was just because Dish didn't know I had a 61.5 (I installed it myself last week and my self-install was originally sent to me as 110/119 from American Digital Dish).

You may have to talk to someone in Exec Relations, but I have many reasons why I don't want the installers here. I don't trust them, I ran all my own stuff, and this gear is going up on a 48 foot telecom tower which they're not insured to be climbing. Right now it's all installed on a 8 foot 4x4 of Douglas Fir on the side yard until the tower goes up.

EDIT: I'm going from a 721 and 3 311s (I own the 721 and 1 311) to 2 VIP211s and 1 VIP622 (and my 1 311). I have a DP34 (got it off ebay) and 2 Dish 500s (one's a quad and one's a twin at 61.5). I let them know how things were config'd here as well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts