Is upgrading (VIP 612 to Hopper Duo) worth it?

I forgot to mention one other advantage of switching from a ViP612 to a Hopper Duo: the Hopper Duo has PIP, while the ViP612 does not. Of course, if all you want is PIP, you could just upgrade to a ViP722k instead, and probably keep your grandfathered ViP DVR fee. :)
Pretty sure the only way to get a 722 anymore is to replace a bad one, replace a bad 222 or install new where a 222 would have gone with the DVR disabled

Reactions: comfortably_numb
Actually, it is better than a Hopper Duo, since you have a larger hard drive. (The hard drive in a Hopper Duo is only 500GB, which is still larger than the ViP612's hard drive, but nowhere near 2TB.) :)

And since Dish doesn’t fill it up with commercials and other junk, I should NEVER run out of space ;)

Reactions: pattykay
Pretty sure the only way to get a 722 anymore is to replace a bad one, replace a bad 222 or install new where a 222 would have gone with the DVR disabled
I am pretty sure that an existing customer could still activate a 722 if they purchase a used one. As far as getting one from Dish, yes I believe you are right about that.

Reactions: HipKat
Good luck with that

I, personally, would not risk the money.

It is clear Dish plans to cut support for all but Hopper and Wally boxes. I doubt ViP boxes will see much in the future.

Reactions: HipKat
Good luck with that

I, personally, would not risk the money.

It is clear Dish plans to cut support for all but Hopper and Wally boxes. I doubt ViP boxes will see much in the future.
One way that Dish could phase out the ViP boxes would be to start switching to broadcasting everything in HEVC. Has Dish made any move in that direction yet?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 4)

Latest posts