Is ViP722 HDMI Audio only 2 channel?

kscott

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 8, 2008
I could have sworn I'd read something about this on here, but I've searched every way I can think of and I can't find anything.

Is it a known problem that the ViP722 only outputs 2 channel audio over the HDMI cable?

If I use the optic output I get 5.1 - but the audio coming via HDMI seems to only be 2 channel??

I guess it could be my TV (Samsung LN46A950) not interpreting it correctly, but I don't think so.

Any info would be appreciated-

Thanks-

My main TV is a Samsung and it does not pass through 5.1 audio. HDMI carries audio to the TV which can be heard via the TVs two speakers and sends the same 2 channel audio track back to the receiver. An optical cable direct to the receiver was required get 5.1 sound from the 722. And then you get in to lip sync issues that can drive you mad. You get it set perfectly for one station, change the channel and lip sync issues return.

My advice is do not adjust lip sync. Live with it for a couple of weeks and it will stop bothering you.

Most TV's I know do not pass the 5.1 from HDMI back out the TV's Optical out. I'm not sure of this question... maybe someone with a HDMI input on a 5.1 receiver can chime in.

As far as I know, many TVs (at least Samsung and Sanyo) do not pass through 5.1 audio from the HDMI input. (I tried it with a PS3 and the 5.1 audio did not pass through either). The 722 does output 5.1 audio if you connect it to a receiver that decodes the audio from the HDMI. I have my dish receivers connected with a seperate optical cable because of this.

Something I heard at one point was that optical only passes 5.1 in bitstream mode where E* HDMI only passes 5.1 in linear PCM mode. They don't jive. To get 5.1, you have to run either HDMI to a receiver or run optical to a receiver and HDMI to a TV.

And just to clarify it's not just a 722 thing, I've seen this many times from people hooking up PS3's XBox360's, etc to their TV. The TV just won't pass the 5.1. It would be nice if it would.

Most TVs have horrible audio and it is only 2 channel. TV manufacturers aren't going to put in extra components to pass 5.1 audio at an added cost when the majority of users only use the TV speakers anyway. You'll have to invest in an HDMI receiver, but watch out! A lot are only video pass through, meaning they only pass video (as well as the audio) via a switch and don't decode the audio. You'll need to spend an extra $500 to $600 bucks for that.

And just to clarify it's not just a 722 thing, I've seen this many times from people hooking up PS3's XBox360's, etc to their TV. The TV just won't pass the 5.1. It would be nice if it would.

Exactly!!! As I and many others have stated before on this matter....your TV is not a Media center or AV receiver or distributer. Most TVs WILL NOT pass anything other that stereo or poorly matrixed surround. If you want true 5.1-7.1, spend a few bucks and get an AV receiver that passes those signals. Onkyo is one of the brands that pass those audio streams. Do a search. There are many others.

As far as I know, many TVs (at least Samsung and Sanyo) do not pass through 5.1 audio from the HDMI input. (I tried it with a PS3 and the 5.1 audio did not pass through either). The 722 does output 5.1 audio if you connect it to a receiver that decodes the audio from the HDMI. I have my dish receivers connected with a seperate optical cable because of this.

My Sanyo 42" has no problem passing 5.1 from my 722 into my Sony receiver. HDMI from 722 to HDTV, Digital output from HDTV to receiver.

There isn't a TV made that will pass 5.1 DRM act won't allow it Why would you want to anyway ? Tv's are for video, A/V receivers are for audio You can get a nice Onyko 605 for around 400 bucs .

v

I know that Samsung DLPs pass out 5.1 only from the ATSC TV input. They give stereo from all other inputs. You should send the optical output directly to the receiver. I bought an RS 4-way switch for the optical from 2 722s, DVD+R, and TV. Pain: it is manual.
-Ken

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts