Is VOOM selling subscriber data to direct marketers?

analog8

Original poster
May 21, 2004
I attempted to sign up with VOOM last month but it turns out I have no line of sight, so I ended up with no VOOM.

Today I received some unusual junk mail. It's a $34.95 'special offer' to subscribe to 'Satellite Direct' magazine. It's one of those phony ones designed to look like an invoice. :mad:

I am very careful who I give my details to. I have never subscribed to any sort of home theatre or AV magazine and in fact I receive almost no junk mail. I've never received any junk mail like this before so the coincidence is way too high.

So who sold my personal info? It was either VOOM or the installer. Either way, I'm mad about it!! :mad: :mad:

If you read VOOM's privacy policy at http://www.voom.com/util/privacy.jsp it basically lets them give your info to anyone they like...pretty damn pathetic if you ask me. At the very least they should allow you to opt out online instead of requiring you to call them.

What is next? Will I start getting calls at home to sell me something?

Companies and individuals that may have such authorized access to your personally identifiable information include our employees, billing and collection services; credit reporting agencies; installation, repair and subscriber assistance subcontractors or agents; sales representatives; attorneys, consultants and accountants; software vendors; service suppliers; auditors of service providers; marketers of VOOM products and services; entities affiliated through common ownership or control with Rainbow DBS, strategic partners offering or providing products or services jointly or on behalf of Rainbow DBS; consumer and market research entities; or a purchasing entity if we sell or transfer ownership of all or a part of the VOOM Service or Rainbow DBS; and authorized representatives of government.

By using the VOOM Service, you expressly authorize Rainbow DBS or its authorized agents to contact you. Subscribers may opt out of certain VOOM promotional or marketing information calls, e-mail or direct mail by contacting us at 1-800-GET-VOOM.

analog8 said:
I am very careful who I give my details to.
You contradict yourself. You are careful yet you knowingly accepted VOOM's privacy policy which you criticize as being "pretty damn pathetic"? You are your own worst enemy.

analog8 said:
So who sold my personal info? It was either VOOM or the installer. Either way, I'm mad about it!! :mad: :mad:
Your logic is not solid. You'll need more direct proof to show the link. Contact VOOM and see if one of their associates is this "Satellite Direct" magazine. Even so you seem to want to start a controversy simply because you didn't read the fine print and you don't like using the phone as a way to opt out.

well u know what i also got that thing he is talking about as well and was like wtf is this? and i have never recieved anything like that before so i would have to agree it came from voom.

Years ago junk mail was almost all there was. Junk mail doesn't bother me a bit. If somebody wants to spend the money to send me junk that's their problem. I'm not the one paying postage :)

No matter how careful you are all valid US addresses are published by the USPS (that's how your +4 gets on mailings) and the names of the people living at those addresses are easy enough to find.

Calling is a different story. There is a national Do Not Call List if one is getting calls then they didn't sign up, and if you just signed up it takes 3 months to go into effect. Even if VOOM sells your phone number your not going to get calls.

I wouldn't blame VOOM for a Satellite Direct mailing. Your credit card could have sent it to them when they saw a charge for a satellite tv service.

Well I think it is voom... I got the same mail out yesterday.. I just threw it away. Just reading this post shows two things..

1) Some people let things get to them that are not that significant.
2) Some people will go to the grave to defend Voom.

I am 99% certain this was done through a Voom channel but who really cares.. It takes 2 seconds to throw it away.

I got it too. Since it was geared to DirectTV I think it was Installs or the local installer selling the info.

A little on direct marketing...

Since I'm in a sort of direct marketing type business (I sell mortgages), let me explain a few things about direct marketing.

First, although it may look like it came from a Voom list they sold it doesn't mean they did. I'm not saying it did or didn't. Anyone can buy a list from the post office, yes, that's the US Post Office. Anyone can also go to one of a number of companies who sell lists and buy one there. If you go to one of these companies you can narrow your targeted list to just about anything. If you've ever bought a car, had cable/phone/internet service, filled out a regirstation card, etc. your information is available. Basically, if you're breathing your information is out there and available for purchase.

The second thing is, remember, these companies are just trying to do business. They're not standing at your door and bothering you. You have the option to throw away the junk mail you've gotten. If someone calls your home, you have the option of putting yourself on the, "No Call," list (trust me, we take this VERY seriously). If they call you and you're NOT on the, No Call," list you have the option of politely saying no. You don't need to hang up on anyone, just say no thanks.

Basically, I'd suggest just getting over it. This is not a big deal at all. I'd be more concerned with the amount of spam out there than getting a solicitation for a magazine.

The Rickster

you know if you are really peeved, just send the postage paid envelope back empty. That's what I did for political junk mail, until they got the point. Or you could take a hint from Maddox and send them your local grocer or pizza coupons.

If other people are getting this junk mail then my suggestion there is possibly some connection to VOOM service looks more solid.

analog8 said:
I am extremely paranoid about privacy and have used numerous means to keep my personal info private...

May I ask why you are "extremely paranoid" about it? I am just curious why some people like or prefer to be "extremely paranoid" instead of being, well, kinda "normal".

If it came from voom selling your name then You agreed to it.

Companies and individuals that may have such authorized access to your personally identifiable information include our employees, billing and collection services; credit reporting agencies; installation, repair and subscriber assistance subcontractors or agents; sales representatives; attorneys, consultants and accountants; software vendors; service suppliers; auditors of service providers; marketers of VOOM products and services; entities affiliated through common ownership or control with Rainbow DBS, strategic partners offering or providing products or services jointly or on behalf of Rainbow DBS; consumer and market research entities; or a purchasing entity if we sell or transfer ownership of all or a part of the VOOM Service or Rainbow DBS; and authorized representatives of government.

By using the VOOM Service, you expressly authorize Rainbow DBS or its authorized agents to contact you. Subscribers may opt out of certain VOOM promotional or marketing information calls, e-mail or direct mail by contacting us at 1-800-GET-VOOM.

Stop whining

Hmm...

I can certainly understand someone being paranoid about giving personal information over the telephone to someone who calls to solicit business from you. I deal with people who are interested in doing a mortgage with me but are afraid to give their social security number out over the phone. I guess I'm still having a tough time understanding what bothers anyone so much about junk mail.

Ok, I also understand you don't want your information traded/bought/sold/etc, however, it will be VERY difficult to keep everyone from doing this with your information. As you pointed out, Voom admits they may share your info with someone else. The same goes for many other companies. Just because someone posts a privacy policy on their website does NOT mean they aren't sharing info. You can certainly go to the measures you've gone to in order to keep off various mailing lists but is it really worth it? I could understand if you were talking about your social, your health information or something more personal but your Voom information? That IS paranoid.

Also, if you are on the Do Not Call List and are still getting calls from a telemarketer you can pursue legal action. The laws are very strict and the company is facing stiff fines if they are, in fact, in violation of the Do Not Call laws. However, just remember, if you've done business with a company and they own another company, that other company can (many times) call you without worrying about it. My guess would be the calls you are getting are legal calls since the fines are so high for violating those laws. Our phone system is tied into the national list and we cannot get out to a number which is on the list. However, if that person indicated they would like to speak with us or if they've done business with my company in the past we are allowed to call them.

Anyway, I just don't really know what the big deal is. Heck, you still don't even know if this was something which came from your interaction with Voom.

The Rickster

I got it too, I can tell you it most certainly is a result of voom giving out our information. I have 2 addresses where I stay, and the one where voom is installed is not where I receive my mail. However, I get this satellite junk mail with my name on it sent to an address that only one company knows of, namely voom. So this junk mail and any future junk I get at this address I, and the rest of us, have voom to thank. Maybe I have myself to blame for not reading the small print somewhere, but it wont stop me from lowering my esteem for a company which employs such shady practices.

Oh My Goodness!!!

Just as I opened this thread, I got an email from someone worried about my anatomy. Must be a connection!

Quick, all you posters concerned about "unwanted solicitation", leave this forum and never return! I'TS FOR YOUR OWN GOOD!!!! :D :D :D

???

How do you figure Voom, "employs such shady practices"? They tell you in their privacy policy what they may do with your information. Either way, just get over it already. It's not a big deal. It's a figgin' piece of paper!!!!! Sheesh!

The Rickster

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts