Is your Family addicted to FTA ?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

jayelem

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 5, 2006
Chicago suburbs.
When I first setup my system I had my Coolsat receiver 15ft away from my Dish, coaxial was fed thru my window and I had access to my porch roof head first out the window, all of a sudden my room was the gathering place in the house and Grandma would stay alone downstairs, so I moved the receiver to her room and parked the dish on Hispasat.

It was the best choice I ever made , but I feel a little guilty when I blindscan looking around for feeds since it's time consuming and ties up the TV.

Now my Mom (62) is almost a pro with the receiver, the remote travels with her from room to room, if I can't find the remote I look on the kitchen table, and whenever I mention that her favorite channels could dissapear one day, she says " No they can't do that to me " as if it is her right to forever have access to her favorite channels.

Well since theyre hooked on FTA I've decided to get another dish exclusively for them, stationary of course , though the thought of winning that 1.2 meter dish supersystem really would have been the icing on the cake.

So I ask, has your family adopted FTA ? or is it more of an individual hobby they cant relate to ?

My wife and dog think I'm a bit looney going out on the roof, ruining my jeans. Got one pair that has no butt in it anymore due to sliding around on the shingles. Other than that though, she loves being able to see a lot of the channels on G10r

My family thinks I'm crazy too. "You're going back on the roof, AGAIN?" When I finally pulled in G10R and showed them all of the cool stuff on there, THEN they got intersted. Especially when I was getting out of market stations for FREE, and they looked 3 times better than the low quality junk on D*. Now, we'll see what they think when I install my 102g and start watching master broadcast HD backhauls on my HDTV....

I am hooked, and my wife and daughter like watching shows too. I finally have my father inlaw convinced to let me get him set up too :)

Although new to the hobby, I am totally addicted. My wife on the other hand. . . just needs time. I also got my father-in-law and sister-in-law hooked as well ;) "Now to figure out a way to brainwash the wife :rolleyes:

im in the 'what are you doing now' family camp. wife knows its a hobby and lets me run with it, as I dont say anything about her scrapbooking expenses, lol.

My brother thought I was nuts adjusting or moving a dish for the last 3 1/2 years. My parents used to limit me from going outside and moving the big c-band dish when I lived at home when the motor was busted and it used to rest on patio plastic chairs. I was allowed 3 movements per day thru the family room to outside. I had to find other ways to the dish.

My new roommate has seen me for the last week trying to find a place for an antenna to receive the HD Los Angeles locals. Particularly an improvement for KCAL and KTTV. He told me on Tuesday when I had a vacation day and he came home from work and saw me outside again "most people would be happy with one TV and DirecTV. You've got 10 and a new HDTV and you have spent the last 5 days trying to get more channels. Why?"

Just me, sometimes my son and sometimes my girlfriend in the house. I really don't watch much tv to be honest, but searching just to see what's out there is the best part for me. My girlfriend will say "you're an odd guy, you're willing to spend all that time and money for something you're hardly ever gonna use". My son is 5, almost 6 and really doesn't show a preference just as long as there are cartoons to be had, he's cool with it.
Just planning to re-install my BUD but have to remove some trees or branches at the very least and then set up a 1m dish for FTA. I remember back in the "good ole' days" with my 10 footer tweaking and playing just to see what I could get. Sitting there watching a news feed with nothing happening for many minutes, not even a reporter on the screen, just an out of focus background and the occasional car driving by. Then out of nowhere came the reporter, clearing his throat, talking with someone back at the station on his mic., adjusting his clothing, maybe even having a smoke or swearing or joking about something that was going on. Yeah, that was the stuff man!!!!! Now I'm looking forward to all that in HD!!!!!!

The first time she misses Grey's Anatomy (insert any other show you're significant other likes here) on Express-Vu and I find a later feed on the FTA, then she'll understand!!!

Inno said:
Just planning to re-install my BUD but have to remove some trees or branches at the very least and then set up a 1m dish for FTA. I remember back in the "good ole' days" with my 10 footer tweaking and playing just to see what I could get. Sitting there watching a news feed with nothing happening for many minutes, not even a reporter on the screen, just an out of focus background and the occasional car driving by. Then out of nowhere came the reporter, clearing his throat, talking with someone back at the station on his mic., adjusting his clothing, maybe even having a smoke or swearing or joking about something that was going on. Yeah, that was the stuff man!!!!! Now I'm looking forward to all that in HD!!!!!!

They still do that but alot of its on KU now :)

"Geek TV" is what my wife and daughter call my satellite hobby. I've been at it since the 80s, so I doubt anyone is going to disown me over it at this point.

They prefer more mainstream fare, and are most definitely not addicted to FTA ... but once in a while something I stumble upon captures their interest ... and the Mrs. enjoys our New Years Eve tradition searching for live back hauls of celebrations around the globe.

They accept that I have strong nerd tendencies and don't tease me too much about science and technology fetishes. My daughter was however more than a little bit embarrassed when I built an astronomical observatory out back - "Why can't we just be NORMAL LIKE EVERYONE ELSE!?"

Last edited:
I WILL be addicted to FTA

I`ll soon join the ranks as I expect to be operational next week. My thanks to member Shawn Quinn (SHAWN-GT) who fixed me up with LNBs, splitters, a feedhorn and a LOT of technical assistance.
Shawn and IceBerg have been a great help and guys like them are what makes this site GREAT!!!

I'm in the group with the rest of the family saying "don't you have enough already". On my vacation I played around with my homemade OTA antenna and added a sling box. During the week days I'm at one address and home for the weekends and holidays. I have the sling box (well actually I have 2 now) connected to my PVR to be able to set up record timers for I do not miss the shows I want to record. I now have a great collection of shows from RTN on G10R as well as from TCM on StarChoice. One of my StarChoice boxes is left on TCM all the time. I have not purchased too many DVD's in the past year, as I now transfer most of my recordings to DVD. Some I watch right away, others I collect and will watch periodically.

My wife and son prefer to watch Star Choice (they also like the guide, rather than searching for something to watch). I know my wife has never turned on the FTA (hasn't asked how to) while I believe my son has turned it on once or twice.

Occasionally, my wife will watch something on the FTA with me (some of the old shows on RTN). Tonight, for example, she said she wanted to watch something "normal" (guess she doesn't like the foreign programs with subtitles!) so we watched Magnum PI.

No I'm not addicted, now if you can excuse me I have to get my daily RTN fix:D

Well as for me and my mom get's pretty happy, if I get the KU Jayhawk basketball feeds, and any breaking news raw feeds.:)

She is used to my Ham Radio hobbies, and don't mind as long not too many antennas around the house.

But most of time she use mostly on Directv.

I just like to TV DXing, and and any live sports that is live.

I plan to upgrade to a better blind scan FTA reciever when they come out with MPEG-2 and 4 with 4:2:0 and 4:2:2 and maybe add 8-PSK as well too.

Now back to my TV DXing!!!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts