ISP connection speed mystery. Dish Related??

pvasshep

Original poster
Mar 12, 2005
Maryland
Since getting my Dish Network installed about a week ago, I see that my dial-up internet connection speed is down to 14,400. Though I have a 56 modem - because of my distance from phone interchange - I had only been getting a max of about 26,000. Now that's pretty slow - but 14,400 is WAY SLOWER!!! I don't know if having the dish installed - and the consequent tying into the phone line they require is somehow slowing down my ISP connection or if it's just an odd coincidence.

Any opinions on the matter?

ALso - I was very disappointed to find that MPT - Maryland Public Television - does not appear among my local channels. I called DIsh Networks - but couldn't get a very straight answer. I thought they said it would be added next week - but then they said it wasn't available. Does anyone know anything about the availability of MPT on Dish Network?

Thanks.

Sounds like that's a cable channel. Dish only has to carry over the air channels.

No - MPT is broadcast on various channels all over the state of Maryland. For ex. ch. 22 is local in the Wash. DC area. Ch. 31 - in Hagerstown. Several others that cover the whole state.

welcome to the site. glad you are here.

sounds like the channel is not on the "must carry" list. don't ask me how they come up with what channels have to be carried.

Unplug your receiver and see if that kicks your speed back to the normal sucky 26K.

It could be that the receiver is dragging down the line - maybe because there's too many other devices plugged in. Rule of thumb is 5 devices max on the line - and in rural areas it might be less. How many you got? Maybe you can get down to three - modem, receiver, simgle base unit for multiple wireless remotes.

BTW, rural SLC96-type carrier systems have a max 28K limit on dial-up. It's just the way it is, and there's no way around it unless they offer DSL or ISDN. :(

i had dish since oct 04 and im using the 322 model receiver and had problems with dial up service also. i ended up installing a new phone line from the computer to the outside phone box. then i put in a switch inline that feeds the house phones. when i flip the switch to shut off the house phones i get the full connection speed to my pc . just remember to flip the switch back to the house phones when your done using your pc or your house phones wont ring. also as any one else had problems with that 322 model putting a hum in your phone lines also . i had the tech out here 4 times and they heard it too but dont know what to do about it also they say the 522 causes hum too. i have cat 5 installed in my house and every outlet has its own run back to the termial block. had phone co. to come out and check system out and found no problems with grounds or anything else. well i finnaly figured out the problem myself by installing a belkin wireless phone jack system .now no more phone line hum.i called Dish and told them and they were very thankfull and were goin to tell the techs about it and then gave me 1 month free serviece wow nice of them, huh!

pvasshep said:
No - MPT is broadcast on various channels all over the state of Maryland. For ex. ch. 22 is local in the Wash. DC area. Ch. 31 - in Hagerstown. Several others that cover the whole state.

Actually Ch 22 is in Annapolis. MPT is not a required part of the Washington DMA. DTV is nice enough to carry it but DISH is not. I have wriitten and received non responses about how they can only carry what the FCC allows them to. They could carry the Hagerstown or Frederick stations they have just chosen not to.

Maryland Public Television(MPT) is a collection of 6 OTA PBS type stations managed by the state of Maryland and designed to provide the same signal everywhere within the state. The channels consist of:

Annapolis Channel 22
Salisbury Channel 28
Hagerstown Channel 31
Oakland Channel 36
Frederick Channel 62
Baltimore Channel 67

More info is available at www.mpt.org

As to why D* carries it and E* does not is beyond me. If you look at the channel list at ekb.dbstalk.com/dishlist.htm (don't know if sat guys has one), it shows that Frederick channel 62 is actually uplinked as channel 8083, as well as NBC 25, Hagerstown at 8086 (Rumored by some sources but by no means official) and WVPT 51/42 Stanton/Front Royal, VA as channel 8082. The other 2 are: Channel shows on Lyngsat.com or other reliable satellite scans, but not available to regular subscribers. These would be on the 61.5.

So, who knows. It would be nice to have those 3 channels, but with E* working on adding more DMAs, I don't see them in any hurry to add more channels, especially with the new 1 dish for locals rule.

It is available wiht the Baltimore locals as channel 8732 and a super dish is required. However, what is amusing is that the actually baltimore station, 67, is not the one that they are using...........

WAIT a minute... WAIT!!! There are actually people out there on the internet with DIAL-UP connections!?? Isn't that "so 1997"?!?!

So the latest info - BitTorrent accounts for 1/3rd of the total internet traffic on the net. How does dial-up figure into that!? lol J/K

Sorry! I don't mean to flame anyone.... Believe me!! I got high-speed in '98 and couldn't imagine anyone using anything else!

the same thing happens to me.i first found out about it when i had unplugged all my 508 receivers from the phone jacks due to thunderstorms.when everything is plugged in i go from a low of 40,000bps to 48,000bps.if i unplug all the receivers i have been up to 50,000bps.

Bizzach said:
WAIT a minute... WAIT!!! There are actually people out there on the internet with DIAL-UP connections!?? Isn't that "so 1997"?!?!

So the latest info - BitTorrent accounts for 1/3rd of the total internet traffic on the net. How does dial-up figure into that!? lol J/K

Sorry! I don't mean to flame anyone.... Believe me!! I got high-speed in '98 and couldn't imagine anyone using anything else!

Hey Bizzach. Not only do we have Dial-up, but we HAVE to use dial-up only. And we have to put up with these variable connection speeds. I got tired of 28.8, so I went and got an external modem. That got me up to 44.0 and 45.0, but then that began slacking off to 36 and 38 after awhile. Then we got a new Dell and the internal modem on it sucks. It always connects at 28.8. My wife took the external modem for her laptop, so I am stuck with slow speeds. Oh well, Earthlink Accelerator works alright. Those of us who live out in the country don't get ISDN or broadband or cable. But, trust me, its coming. It's not just Ma'n'Pa Kettle who live in the country these days. We are tech savy farm folk just itchin' for fast internet service. :D

Wow...I couldnt imagine! Right noe, they are running fiber in my neighborhood for Verizon FIOS. So by summer I will have an internet connection of 15Mbs down and 2Mbs UP. I cant wait!

Stacy A said:
I got tired of 28.8, so I went and got an external modem. That got me up to 44.0 and 45.0, but then that began slacking off to 36 and 38 after awhile ...
Assuming you actually are on a rural SLC96-type system, it's not likely you were actually seeing those speeds. Different modems report their connection speed differently. That is MUCH more likely what happened - your system was seeing the PC-to-modem speed, not the modem-to-ISP speed.

Yeah, ugh. If I had to use dial up as my internet connection I would just stop using the internet...

HAH sorry about that post up there. I was just trying to say what BFG just said. I was a little (okay, a lot!) drunk at the time.
Sorry!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts