Issue Loading SatDreamGR NA Into My Edision Mio 4K

The North America Project image only supports North American standards and doesnt need a "patch" for operating with North American TVs only compatible with 60hz refresh. TNAP only offers 60hz refresh and only resolutions supported by NA TVs. There is nothing in the TNAP wizard that could set to any 50hz or a resolution not supported by NA TVs.

The SatDreamGR image is different and it offers all 50hz & 60hz refresh and resolution settings.

There is something else going on. What resolution is your TV set to? Did you connect with the new HDMI 2.0 cable that you ordered? What is the maximum resolution that your TV supports?

Your question also makes me wonder if he's using an HDMI switcher or AVR or device in-between the MIO and the tv set that's flaky in some odd way.

If so, and if he hasn't already tried, he needs to connect the MIO directly to the HDMI port on his plasma to finish setup, and then go from there to figure the 'why' beyond that.

Reactions: JFOK
Ok, I'm using an LG 1080p 3D tv set from 2013, which is more multi-standard apparently than your Plasma. I meant no offense against your tv set.

Hi Mike,

I didn't feel offended regarding your comments about my TV, but my TV took it hard. ;)
Actually I was just trying to explain to you that my TV isn't a cheap piece of crap. Its not going anywhere soon...hopefully...and so I'm stuck without an interesting image to try on my stb. I really like this plasma that's all.
I really do appreciate all your helpful suggestions.
I may try some other ideas that were posted after my thread to you this morning, but may step back from trying for a day or two.
Need a breather.

John

Last edited:
Reactions: primestar31
Brian,

My Panasonic ST30 is capable of several refresh rates. I don't know them off the top of my head.
I use 60 HZ with both OpenVIX and OpenATV and have no issues.
I received the new HDMI cable on Tuesday but haven't connected it yet. Will do so tonight if I find the time.

John

Your question also makes me wonder if he's using an HDMI switcher or AVR or device in-between the MIO and the tv set that's flaky in some odd way.

If so, and if he hasn't already tried, he needs to connect the MIO directly to the HDMI port on his plasma to finish setup, and then go from there to figure the 'why' beyond that.

Mike,

My stb HDMI is connected to my Onkyo tuner, which then goes to my TV. I tried a direct connect to the TV early on but it didn't help with the issue.
Maybe this new HDMI that I mentioned to Brian may help move me in the right direction.

John

Mike,

My stb HDMI is connected to my Onkyo tuner, which then goes to my TV. I tried a direct connect to the TV early on but it didn't help with the issue.
Maybe this new HDMI that I mentioned to Brian may help move me in the right direction.

John

You've gone through more than I did my first day, and I thought I was going to lose my mind, lol. By the way, I wasn't intimating that your tv was crap, more along the lines of that some older HD tv sets don't handle all the video standards that the newer ones do. I know my first HD tv, which was an Olevia 37" lcd didn't handle HDMI encryption standards, which became an issue later as I was a Dish Network sub with a VIP622, and they turned that on for some movies. ZAP, the screen would go black.

When was "early on"? Was that before the NA SatDreamGr image came out? Maybe at that time you were trying to load the generic image? You might be dealing with two issues here that appear to be the same, IE: the european image might have gone to 50hz, and now it might be something with the HDMI cable or tuner, etc. Also, if that set has more than 1 HDMI input, try the other ones also.

Feel free to take some time off. After El Bandido at LegitFTA helped me through my stuck file problem, I basically didn't do anything else for 4-5 days except watch some tv and let it all soak in. In fact, I didn't even flash another new image until two days ago on Tuesday, 1 month after first turning it on. I did two different images, one right after another (1/2 hr in-between to check out the first one (OpenVix) into different slots.

Last edited:
Reactions: JFOK
Brian,

My Panasonic ST30 is capable of several refresh rates. I don't know them off the top of my head.
I use 60 HZ with both OpenVIX and OpenATV and have no issues.
I received the new HDMI cable on Tuesday but haven't connected it yet. Will do so tonight if I find the time.

John

From the manual for the 55" ST30 model. (Other sizes should be the same)

Supports 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i and 1080p. Refresh rates supported are:

Screenshot from 2019-03-14 14:54:45.jpg

Hope this helps! :)

Mike,

Early on was when I first started my attempt to load the SatDream TNA into my Edision Mios, right after this image was released.
Again, I know you weren't calling my TV crappy, However, I just cant convince my TV otherwise. ;)

John

Last edited:
Reactions: primestar31
Yes, that is what is being suggested.

Seems that the OpenVIX image is not allowing multiboot images to load.

I just flashed a 4/28/19 multiboot image of OpenVix over my older version of OpenVix in slot 3. I could NOT do this while booted in the older version of OpenVix, it wouldn't work. I rebooted back into the NA SatDreamGr in slot 1, and used that to flash the latest OpenVix over slot 3. I had previously made a backup of my settings in OpenVix, and had to restore those with another thumbdrive I had that they were on.

Since OpenVix doesn't technically provide "Multiboot" images, I downloaded their regular "USB" image, unpacked it, and followed these directions in the quote below from El Bandido to remove the "emmc.img" and "splash.bin" files, then I repacked it as a ZIP file using 7zip and added "multiboot" on the end of the name.

It all worked perfectly that way.

The Official OpenVix image for the MIO has been released (see link below).
http://www.openvix.co.uk/index.php/d...ion-os-mio-4k/

The OpenVix image is OE Alliance based.
OE Alliance based images are packing the regular emmc.img file and the rootfs.tar.bz2 file in the same folder. I do not know why they do this, but I guess they do it so the download will work as the main or install image, and also work as the multiboot image. Doing it this way makes for a big download, but maybe having one download instead of two like the Pli images have makes for less confusion?

If you want multiboot, the emmc.img may be deleted, and the splash.bin files may be deleted form this folder.
If you want to use OpenVix as the main image, then the rootfs.tar.bz2 file may be deleted.
If you do not want to see the OpenVix logo for every boot on the other images that are stored in the receiver, then delete the splash.bin file too.
I do not think many MIO users have seen the Edision boot logo because OpenATV writes over it with the splash.bin file. The only problem with that is you see OpenATV logo on every boot for all images in multiboot.

The OS Mio is capable of reading both NTFS Windows type file systems, and Linux type file systems. My usb drives for image file loading are formatted to be used in any operating system, Windows or Linux.

Reactions: Titanium
OpenVIX couldn't be updated via online when running the OpenVIX image? Thought that I had previously accepted an online OpenVIX update on a previous version release.

Not with my previous version of OpenVix, it was a "customized" version from El Bandido when I was beta testing things. When I tried an online update, it gave me an error something paraphrased like "kernel is changed, must update via USB"

OK, the "NORMAL" OpenVIX images in distribution provide auto updating. :)

Boy, those experimental images sure have caused some glitches for you! I usually dump the experimental images right after testing so I have the typical experience of the image and not be confused by experimental changes (intended or not).

Reactions: raydio
Well, it's "normal" now, lol.

I was never sure if EB was going to ask me to try something else, so I kept the RC version of NA SatDreamGr, then he updated it with the new drivers for the "Movies" issue on 101w. Then this OpenVix image was the only other special one. So, I have to flash something over that RC version of SDGR eventually. I might put the newest version of NA SDGR there, once it's released.

I have NO problems being a beta-tester, since it hopefully will help us ALL out eventually. Yes, it gets confusing at times, but it sure is an interesting learning experience! Wow, am I learning! LOL.

With 4 slots on this receiver, it makes it easy to play without causing issues with the "main" image.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)