GEOSATpro Issue With Composite Video Connection

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Larry1

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 24, 2005
Port Hope, ON Canada
I have now had my MicroHD for 2 days and am having an issue with the RCA video out. What I have observed is that the connection with the plugin on the back of the unit to the supplied cable is touchy. I am connecting with the RCA cables as I do not have a HD tv. When the cable is plugged in the back, and pushed all the way in for the cable is firm against the case, there is no click or indent as the plug is pushed all the way in. The black plastic of the jack on the microHD unit is very slightly recessed or at just even with the plastic of the case. If the cable is pulled out very slightly.... (thickness of a few pieces of paper, about the thickness of a fingernail, less than the thickness of a business card) the video is disconnected. Slightly further again and the audio cuts out. I have tried a simular audio/video cable from an original SlingBox and was surprised to find the plug on the SlingBox was significantly shorter, but the tip and individual connections appeared to be spaced the same, except the last connection (cable end not tip end) was shorter. I expected to have no video as the plug was shorter, but found I did have video, but was missing one audio channel.
Can you please check your bench units there and see if you have simular issues with the video cable connection. (or if it is just this unit I have) I would not want to RMA the unit if this is normal, but would like to get it exchanged if this is "just the unit or cable I have".
Now just incase there are different suppliers for the cables, the cable from the extreme tip of the plug has a 5mm tip, then the next connection (including the approx. 1/2 mm black insulator) is 3mm, the another 3mm length (including the approx. 1/2 mm black insulator) then a 6mm length (including the approx. 1/2 mm black insulator).
I have sprayed some contact cleaner on the plug on the cable (not in the jack) for it is wet (but not dripping) and plugged it in and out a few times to see if cleaning the connector helps. Will see if I loose the video again over the next few days.

My composite output has never been right. I can tweak it in/out, firm/not so firm and I still only get black and white video. Could that be a problem with the cable or something in the MicroHD itself?

DRCars

My composite output has never been right. I can tweak it in/out, firm/not so firm and I still only get black and white video. Could that be a problem with the cable or something in the MicroHD itself?

DRCars

BW video has nothing to do with a composite video AV jack.

If you would like it bench tested, please process a RMA through your reseller. We repair if factory defect.

Are you using the original composite cable that came WITH the MicroHD receiver? It sounds like you are, but I want to confirm that 100%.

It's not easy finding a 3rd party cable that will work properly, wiring-wise. There is no standard for wiring on these particular cables.

Also make sure you have the video set to 480i in the menus. IF it's set to 576i (Pal) it'll be black and white

Well just wanted to update that after a few days my video connection is still fine. Just wish the connector had a more positive feel or indent/click when it was seated, but it is working fine.

I would like to chime in here.... I have been using the composite out on mine for several days while I've been tweaking my dish settings. I noticed that the connection is very touchy and it does 'wiggle' a little which puts static lines in the video ( I haven't been listening to sound, so don't know the effect, if any, there). With the Micro being so..micro, the weight of the coax hanging off the back will tilt it back and that flexing of the back panel will cause problems for the 1/8" composite jack connection. It's no big deal for me because I use HDMI for normal viewing, but it is definitely an issue. I think one of these days I'll mount the Micro on some kind of 'plate' to make it more stable.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)