Issues with 771, only specific channels

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Hydroshock

Original poster
Sep 22, 2008
I've been having an issue the past few days, but its been an on and off issue.

Through some looking around. It seems that the signal strengths for 103° keep cutting in and out from 80's to 0 back and forth. Which of course, looking at a channel list with the satellites, those are the only channels getting the 771 error.

Having narrowed it to there, what should I look at to fix this? From what i've read about 771 errors and the "common list of problems" which includes every part of the system...

Maybe your line of site is getting blocked by the waving branches of a tree. I think you should tweak the dish alignment as you should be able to get to the upper 80s for 103.

Well I wouldn't have considered line of sight, but with trees having just sprouted leafs these past few weeks i'm not sure.

I got up on my roof and laid the camera in the dish and took some pictures.

http://i43.tinypic.com/2vkgge9.jpg
http://i41.tinypic.com/343golu.jpg

I don't know which, if any of these trees are the issue. The one in red is a neighbor I have never met, and the tree is huge. The ones in blue I have full access to cutting all I want.

I've never actually done any dish alignment myself or anything. I could move the dish vertically up maybe a few feet but that would be it.

nah it aint those trees. The dish "sees" about 22 degrees higher than what the LNB looks like. So you're way higher than the trees

nah it aint those trees. The dish "sees" about 22 degrees higher than what the LNB looks like. So you're way higher than the trees

I agree. Isn't fluctuating signal strength numbers more likely to be a bad lnb or multiswitch? Do you have another receiver/dvr that you can compare? If not, then I would first check all of the cabling and connections to be sure they are okay.

I just went through all the cabling. The cables themselves are fine, though I did find that a clamp that the installer had attached to a pipe at my house had actually broken apart. It's a clamp that he had used as a ground at the multi switch. I do not have another box to compare. There's only the single HD box.

I just went through all the cabling. The cables themselves are fine, though I did find that a clamp that the installer had attached to a pipe at my house had actually broken apart. It's a clamp that he had used as a ground at the multi switch. I do not have another box to compare. There's only the single HD box.

Since you have one box, then there is no external multiswitch, but there is one built into the dish. I am guessing either it is bad or the lnb is.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)