issues with a 2 hopper no Joey set up

Mike Arrasmith

Original poster
Sep 12, 2012
Dayton, OH
I had 2 hoppers installed Monday, since then one box has worked perfectly. The other will not record primetime, and only recognizes one tuner after 8pm. The guide will also not update. Tuesday I had a pair of techs come out, who switched the wall plates. I had a tech out today who installed a HIC and changed some settings. I have to have him come back out tomorrow to hopefully get a new box. I am having trouble finding any info on this issue. I promise not to vent my anger here because I am losing my family vacation by having to be at home at least four days in a row for techs. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

The first thing I would suspect would be the wall plates. Second would be cable that's not capable of 3GHz. Third would be connector quality. This sounds like an issue between the node and the Hopper. Perhaps swapping the Duo Node could do it. Are the unused ports of the Duo Node properly terminated using 75-ohm terminators?

Did they even USE the proper node? That would be my question. Look in the manual linked in the stickies on this site, and decide which should have been used for your two Hopper set up. I have the same set up, but cannot remember what node was used. Make sure they used the correct one. Thank goodness I have good tech guys here. Thank you Via Satellite! I have heard so many horror stories.

Now my second Hopper has stopped working. Too bad I wasn't home when the techs showed up unannounced, at 8:30 am on a Saturday. The wall plates were changed Tuesday, to "colored." I mentioned the 3ghz line to the techs, and they told me I apparently didn't know what I was talking about. The Duo Node is installed, but I don't think it is installed right. I am torn between using a bunch of 722k's, or looking at a different provider. I like direct tv's newest whole home DVR, but they are only allowing one per household.

run through all the wiring diagrams... http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=279755

What kind of rated cable is currently connecting the hoppers to the node? Is it even RG6? (you can usually figure out from the jacket)

How about listing all your equipment? type of dish, any extra switches, taps, splitters, etc

node, lnb, wiring... basically all the basics need to be checked. I would consider messaging DIRT and seeing if you can get a field supervisor out there at this point.

Last edited:
Cable is RG6, should I try to use RG11? I believe the dish is the turbohd 100.2 eastern arc. Nothing extra, just the duo node. There is an unused splitter in the box as well. I asked for a supervisor, and when he came out, he added a HIC, then said everything looked good and left. They are supposed to be here between 12 and 5 today (Sunday) to "fix" it. I have one hopper box from dish on its way, should be here Tuesday. With these issues happening in more than one box, I might just replace the hoppers with a few 722k's.

Attachments

• IMG_20120916_002227.jpg
    IMG_20120916_002227.jpg
    347.8 KB · Views: 215
  • IMG_20120916_002256.jpg
    IMG_20120916_002256.jpg
    352.9 KB · Views: 227
  • IMG_20120916_002308.jpg
    IMG_20120916_002308.jpg
    220.1 KB · Views: 201
  • IMG_20120916_002315 (1).jpg
    IMG_20120916_002315 (1).jpg
    545.4 KB · Views: 213
are the hoppers connected to the host ports of the duo node? 1 hopper per host port. hard to tell from the pictures as i can't see anything on that second host port.

The only thing that should be on the client port is the HIC since you have no joeys.

Well the hard reboot fixed the Blockbuster internet thing, but as soon as I tried to hit watch later, it once again lost internet connection and I'm back to :" connect internet to your hopper message to use this application." So it looks like this software update has made the internet connection flakey and hard to keep it connected,even when the hopper shows it is connected in all the tests . Good thing I don't really use it that often.

It LOOKS like there is a fitting behind that gob of brown stuff in front of the bottom host port for the 2nd hopper. I'm assuming the hic is connected off the client port and not off a tap somewhere else in the sytem. Either way that's a sloppy mess of cable at the node. You may just have a bad hopper. Keep us updated.

Got the node replaced, things are running much better. Only thing still wrong is primetime anytime. I have it enabled, and see the yellow pages boxes of the guide. There is nothing recording though. Any suggestions? Thanks for all of the help so far.

Got the node replaced, things are running much better. Only thing still wrong is primetime anytime. I have it enabled, and see the yellow pages boxes of the guide. There is nothing recording though. Any suggestions? Thanks for all of the help so far.

might want to wait a day and see if it records tomorrow night. If it doesnt....

Try swapping the rooms that the hoppers are in and then activate PTAT on this hopper. That might help you figure out whether there's a problem in just one location or to the hopper itself.

Last edited:
Got a new hopper from DISH today, tried hooking it up, but it won't even download the software. Box turns off every two hours and we start all over. I think I am just going to run 1 722k upstairs, and 2 in the mancave.

Did the new hopper run through the check switch upon powering up? You want the 833 screen, not 015. You may have to factory default it using the front panel buttons.

The early batch of hoppers was like this, although the more recent ones have been ok.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)