Issues with Directv and New WI-Max Internet

Status
Please reply by conversation.

bavaria14

Original poster
Feb 17, 2011
Indiana
Hello all,

I have a strange issue. I have had Directv for a while and it has worked with out issue. The signal strength is 90 to 95.

Recently to get away from dial up, we have access to an Internet provider that provides WI-MAX internet. He installed his radio receiver about 8’ from our Directv dish. His radio gets power through the Ethernet.

Now for the fun part. Since I have installed it, I have several Directv channels that act like a rain storm. In that I mean, I get pixilation and garbled sound on some channels. Maybe 10% of the channels. Signal strength is still solid 90s.

The minute I unplug the WI-MAX radio, the picture and sound is perfect. The minute I plug back in the power to the WI-MAX radio, the picture goes bad on those channels.

It is my understanding that they use vastly different channels and band widths but the only thing I can find is when I give power to the WI-MAX. That is all that has changed.

Any ideas on what could be happening?

Thank you for any help or advice you can provide me.

Obviously, there is interference happening. If a frequency used by the WiMax is a multiple of some sort in the LNB, you've got trouble.
Have the WiMax unit moved away from the dish. I'll let others give some technical details.

Maybe a shield between the dish and the WiMax radio could help.

Some additional information. The system they use is the AirMax Nano Station M5. It's frequency range is 4.9 to 5.9GHz. I'm not sure if this helps any.

Sometimes moving the radio is easier said than done due to trees and other things that block the line of site for both the Directv and the Wi-Max. I guess what I am hoping for is someone to give me an answer that it would be the frequencies and not something else causing the issue and if it is how far appart do they need to be. Thank you again for everyones feedback and help.

Some additional information. The system they use is the AirMax Nano Station M5. It's frequency range is 4.9 to 5.9GHz. I'm not sure if this helps any.

5.9 GHz is a harmonic of 11.8 GHz and depending on how bad the leakage and power is... it's close enough to cause issues in the Ku-band most likely...

Cheers,
Kermee

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)