issues with joey parental controls

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

niceguypmp3

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 4, 2013
south central iowa
Morning everyone! We have one HWS, one hopper, and 2 joey's. We've had the joey's unplugged for a couple months and finally decided to plug one in in an area where we only have wireless access, so we hooked it up with a wireless usb dongle from dish. After we got it synced with our wireless and it did it's updates and all, then it works. But an issue we're having is that almost any channel except the cartoon channels, then it says that the channel is restricted and it won't let us view it. I got into the parental controls on the joey and made sure everything was unlocked and everything, but it still won't allow access to those channels. I even locked it all down, saved and exited, rebooted it and then unlocked it all and did the same. It still says the same thing! Last time we'd used the joey, we didn't have any issues like that. It was the kitchen joey and nothing was locked out on it! We tried the 2nd joey on the same connection and have the SAME problem!!! Could it be a problem with using the joey's over our wireless network? I tried getting into the parental controls on my HWS, but for the life of me I cannot figure out the password for it. I didn't think that I'd ever even set one on it though. If I can't remember the password, what do I do then? We're just at a loss because we don't understand why the issues with the joey's now and not before. Even though, when the joey's were hooked up before, they were hooked up with coax to the hoppers, not by wireless. Thank you in advance for any help/suggestions!

That could be one of the reasons the Joey 1.0 is not supported using a USB dongle. It will work, but can present issues, and that is my best bet. Likely not receiving the information it needs. PM a DIRT member, and see if they can send a Parental Hit to your account to unlock all parental locks.

So, you're saying that the issue with the Joey might get resolved if i hook it up with an ethernet cable instead? I can do that if needed, it was just easier to use the usb dongle.

That also is not supported so no guarantees how it would work. The only supported method for the old joeys is a Coax cable from the node.

I tried this setup making sure that my HWS and joey are both hooked up with an ethernet cable, but the problem still exists. If we try to watch anything with a rating over rated G, then after a couple seconds or so, the screen goes grey and pops up with a warning stating that because of the parental rating of the show, then it is blocked from being available. If we have the guide up on any "blocked" show, then it will continue to play but if we exit the guide, it goes grey and pops up the warning. Does anyone know a workaround to get this to work? because of it's location, we can't get coax out to it, but we have buried ethernet cable running to it.

I called dish and after almost an hour of the tech trying different things that didn't work, he transferred me to an advanced tech. The advanced tech after I explained to him Exactly what was on the screen and what it was doing/saying, he stated that it was the parental controls from the tv. When I went into the menu of the tv, by golly he was right! Someone had enabled the V-chip on the tv. We think it was one of our young grandgirls probably playing around with the tv! So, now it's fixed! Now, I feel pretty stupid for not even checking the tv settings, but in all honesty I had never used the parental controls on the tv before. Thanks for the help everyone!

Reactions: charlesrshell

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts