It got a little windy while I was gone

Status
Please reply by conversation.

rv1pop

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
We left December 3rd and got back March 13th. When I looked around this is some of what I saw. If these do not make sense or are in the wrong order I will comment more. My wind gauge is broken, registered 134.5 MPH. A neighbor said his showed a peak of 186 MPH.
first 2 are a Primestar 84e mount empty and dish is 60 feet from the mount. 3rd is my OTA antenna, off the roof and onto the empty C-Band pole which heaved out of the ground. The OTA must have come down after the 10ft left the pole. Then pictures of the Winegard, 3 of the dents, one bent bracket, the button hook (2) and the cut cable.5th picture is the cap off the LNB

Attachments

• dent pic 2.jpg
    dent pic 2.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 256
  • button hook & cable.jpg
    button hook & cable.jpg
    846.4 KB · Views: 294
  • LNB cover.jpg
    LNB cover.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 312
  • OTA and C pole.jpg
    OTA and C pole.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 300
  • dent pic 1.jpg
    dent pic 1.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 237
  • C-Band dish on ground.jpg
    C-Band dish on ground.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 317
  • Bent bracket.jpg
    Bent bracket.jpg
    862.2 KB · Views: 271
  • Buttonhook and LNB.jpg
    Buttonhook and LNB.jpg
    925.9 KB · Views: 266
  • Primestar 84e.jpg
    Primestar 84e.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 273
  • Empty Primestar mount.jpg
    Empty Primestar mount.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 335
  • cut cable.jpg
    cut cable.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 259
  • dent pic 3.jpg
    dent pic 3.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 257
Last edited:
Well, that was my thought also, but the local weather people say NO! It also took my stove pipe off at the roof line. The primestar dish was not fastened tight as I had been looking for sats, but it lifted it right off the post. The four stainless steel bolts holding the C-band dish to the mount ---I have not found them all!
The LNBF has the connectors pulled out of the case which is broken. Fortunately all my Sat receivers were disconnect from power and from the dishes. The switches were still hooked up and the KU still works fine. I have not tred C-band but with the dish on the ground - well I doubt I would get any signal - and since the LNB is......
The weather station is now completely dead as if it took a lightning strike but had locked on 134.5 MPH. It would not reset and when I powered it down it would not come back to life - oh, except the clock does work!

Wow! No wonder you needed those side arms for your GEOSATpro 90cm dish!

Have you ever considered digging a dish pit and build up a earth berm on the side so the dish look angles are clear? This would help keep the wind load off the dishes.

Down here in Orange County, just south of Los Angeles, the early settlers put in eucalyptus trees to block the wind.
Some of the surviving trees are now 4..6 feet in diameter.
I'm guessing 50..60 feet tall.
And, after tree trimming, the neighborhood has a delightful smell ! ;)

No wonder you needed those side arms for your GEOSATpro 90cm dish!
Can you supply side arms without a 90cm dish? My 38" dish would benefit from side arms in high wind given multifeed workload, but I can't put just about any arms "around it", since product appearance means a lot around here. :)

Can you supply side arms without a 90cm dish? My 38" dish would benefit from side arms in high wind given multifeed workload, but I can't put just about any arms "around it", since product appearance means a lot around here. :)

GEOSATpro 90cm side support arms are available as replacement items for $10/pair plus shipping, but they are designed for a specific dish and offset angle. The angles and length will most likely not be appropriate or suitable for another brand. Why don't you buy some 1/4" or 1/2" thin wall pipe at a home supplies store, cut to correct length, custom bend the tabs, drill and paint?

just what Brian said...

I did that with 1/2 inch (as I recall) for mounting a C-band LNBF, 'cause it was the smallest the store had.
If you think 1/4 inch might be better, then ask for aluminum tubing instead of conduit.
It'll cost more and it'll be in a different aisle.
Alternately, if you find an old TV antenna, you can probably scavenge some 1/4" off it.

Flatten the end with a vice, bend to the appropriate angle with the vice, drill a hole for the screw, and file off the rough edges.
I gave mine a couple of coats of flat gray primer, but use what ya got.
Pretty easy.

edit:
No, I think the smallest conduit they had was 3/4", and 1/2" would have been better for me.
1/4" is probably too small. Well, use what you find and think appropriate.

Last edited:
rv1pop

I'm sorry for your loss. But it looks like your C-band pole was not fixed properly, so Insurance provider may not go with it. :) May be digging deeper and adding some cement will help next time...

Serious winds there Pop, you were probably better off being away! Not too many dishes can take 135mph for long. Hope your big dish is ok although beat up a bit.

Pop-
Time to move to Canby, OR - we are in the banana belt compared to Eastern Washington. And I thought it was a bad winter here!
Bob

If you need some parts to rebuild with, pm me...
I will keep you in mind. Thanks.

A neighbor 2 miles away said the wind was over 100 mph for over 4 hours (6?). The pole was over 5 feet in ground with 1/2 yard of concrete. I think that is about 35 >> 80# bags of cement. (Seems to me they are listed as 3 bags per cubic foot and 27 cubit foot per cu. yard.)

Going to have to relocate the dish to get my drain-field in anyway.

My one meter oval Primestar just 8 feet away did not move!

WOW!!! so little wind today that I almost wondered where I was! Several of my switches will not switch. I still have not gotten my 75E working on all TPs on G19 so the LNBF may have taken a hit. Too many needed things to do on the property without the wind.... My recycle building blew over and I got that back up and able to get things in and out, but I missed the recycle truck this AM, but ready for it next time in 2 weeks. I hope tomorrow is a calm day again so I can do something on the Satellite farm. The front end of our bigger motorhome torqued and the windshield popped out in the wind, so we are trying to get it ready to take in and get it repaired - the only damage covered by insurance.

Pop that place sounds severe! A windshield blows out, that is tough wind. Hope things settle down for you on Saturday. Bit windy here today, but nothing like yours.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts