It just works, Not!

Goldengriff

Original poster
Jun 9, 2008
Dish have you ever heard of the statement "It just works!"? You worked on the VIP 922 for over 2 years and could not get it right. Shame on you.........

You own the sling technology, it works great in your sling boxes, how could you not get it right in this unit.

You have EHD on some of your other units and it works great, how could you not get it right in this unit.

You showed The unit at CES 2009 with two room and sling, how could you not get it right in the final unit.

It is understandable to have problems with new technology, but most of what you put into this box is not new but old technology so you should have got it right.

I was expecting a home run with this unit, but all we got was a foul ball.

You can stream hd to your laptop and watch with the sling player, I think not. And most of the time you can't even use the web player for server errors.

Can you play movies from your EHD, nope, you can't

Can you hook up a second tv and watch different channels at the same time, nope you can't.

And there are many more things not working correctly.

How can you say yours works.

In all fairness the TV2 feature wasn't something they included in the advertising for the final box.

While I'm certainly looking forward to the sling feature working properly, I have no need for the EHD feature right now since I was using TiVo's before this. Given that TV2 wasn't advertised I wasn't expecting it. So outside of one ancillary feature that I only intended to use occasionally anyway, it's working fine for me.

Outside of waiting a little bit for the box to have DVR functioning properly (probably due to needing to index the EPG) the core functionality of the box has been working perfectly for me.

In all fairness the TV2 feature wasn't something they included in the advertising for the final box.

While I'm certainly looking forward to the sling feature working properly, I have no need for the EHD feature right now since I was using TiVo's before this. Given that TV2 wasn't advertised I wasn't expecting it. So outside of one ancillary feature that I only intended to use occasionally anyway, it's working fine for me.

Outside of waiting a little bit for the box to have DVR functioning properly (probably due to needing to index the EPG) the core functionality of the box has been working perfectly for me.

You are correct TV2 was not in the final advertising, but it was advertised at the 2009 CES. They were bragging about the 2 rooms with sling and about several other features but and then pulled them.

It looks like they were running too far behind. They just started yanking out what did not work until they had something that pretty much worked and shipped it. One can hope the fix the existing bugs and slow add back in features they took out (like TV2).

But, with Dish there is no guarantee that they will ever do it. They often have grand plans for boxes that never materialize. I suspect they will work out the sling issues, especially if they really are serious about a whole house DVR with HD sling catchers on all the TVs.

You can stream hd to your laptop and watch with the sling player, I think not. And most of the time you can't even use the web player for server errors.

Can you play movies from your EHD, nope, you can't

Can you hook up a second tv and watch different channels at the same time, nope you can't.

And there are many more things not working correctly.

How can you say yours works.

1) I have done this with no problems. Not using a sling player but the Dish website has always worked for me.

2) Don't care about this.

3) Don't care about this. Even when the sling catcher 300 comes out I won't really care about watching something else. Mirrored is fine as long as it's in HD.

Everything else we have tried in the box works fine for us.

I have used the sling feature more than I ever thought I would too. Remotely on several different laptops and desktops as well as my Windows Mobile phone. While the WM app is slow it works as intended.

You are correct TV2 was not in the final advertising, but it was advertised at the 2009 CES. They were bragging about the 2 rooms with sling and about several other features but and then pulled them.

Seems somewhat contradictory to be complaining about them pulling a feature they felt wasn't ready yet while asking for them to ship boxes with perfect implementations. Sometimes stuff just doesn't work out the way you'd hope and you either have to delay the release or pull a feature. Sometimes everything in testing seems to be working fine but when you deploy it to a large number of users there are unforeseen problems. Sometimes everything on your test boxes works fine but there's an issue in manufacturing that makes released boxes have problems.

Let's just face it these units have a pretty complex set of features. I wish that Dish was better about polishing off their products on release. But as far as I can tell core features are working pretty well, I'm starting to think the only reason I'm having trouble with the sling feature is that my unit has a defective ethernet port.

You own the sling technology, it works great in your sling boxes, how could you not get it right in this unit.

I've steamed from the dish.sling.com website in HD AND I've used the one step down SlingPlayer software (not the current off their site), and I've used my iPod Touch. "It just works" for me.

You have EHD on some of your other units and it works great, how could you not get it right in this unit.
This has been the one issue I've been experiencing. I lost a couple of recordings on my EHD so I'm waiting until DISH can get this straightened out before trying any more. Also just because it's worked in other units doesn't mean it will work in all of them. The 222 being a prime example of EHD not getting added. Also they HAVEN'T had a receiver like this before. Not with this combination of software. It's not at easy to build a new platform from scratch like you seem to think it is.

You showed The unit at CES 2009 with two room and sling, how could you not get it right in the final unit.
While I am disappointed that the TV2 outputs are disabled even though they are there. I understand as with most companies that show off technology at trade shows. Until you can walk into a store or go online and have a device shipped to your door. All bets are off on what you actually get when a device ships. Personally, I have no need for the TV2 outputs. I want the Sling Receiver box more and ASAP.

It is understandable to have problems with new technology, but most of what you put into this box is not new but old technology so you should have got it right.

Again, not with this combination of software and features. Really from my personal experience, we are so much better off then say the Tivo Premier retail customers/testers that are dealing with software that is extremely early/buggy even compared to the software we got on our boxes. And we didn't pay hundreds of dollars more. (Well most of us anyway.)

To be honest, I think use 922 people are lucky. We have a box that does things that Tivos, DirecTV, and cable DVRs don't do. How awesome is it to be absolutely anywhere and be able to pull up a website and watch video from your box sitting at home? Not re-directed to another online video site or asked to purchase an additional piece of hardware or have system requirements that are so astronomical that most PCs won't be able to support it. Your freaking iPhone can watch your TV!

Take a step back and just take a deep breath. This is the price us early adopters pay and if you didn't know that I'm sorry. But most of us here pretty much knew what to expect.

I've steamed from the dish.sling.com website in HD AND I've used the one step down SlingPlayer software (not the current off their site), and I've used my iPod Touch. "It just works" for me.

Are you sure you don't work for dish, maybe not but; How can you say it just works for you? Most of the time I can't sling with dish.sling.com Are you saying you have not gotten the "try again later" message like lots of us people have.

Anyway When I do connect the picture quality is not near as good as what I get with my Slingbox PRO-HD using the same softwere. Yeah you can sling to their old software but not in HD, it seems Dish intenually left that function out.

This has been the one issue I've been experiencing. I lost a couple of recordings on my EHD so I'm waiting until DISH can get this straightened out before trying any more. Also just because it's worked in other units doesn't mean it will work in all of them. The 222 being a prime example of EHD not getting added. Also they HAVEN'T had a receiver like this before. Not with this combination of software. It's not at easy to build a new platform from scratch like you seem to think it is.

Yep, they did not even let the beta testers test this so I am told.

While I am disappointed that the TV2 outputs are disabled even though they are there. I understand as with most companies that show off technology at trade shows. Until you can walk into a store or go online and have a device shipped to your door. All bets are off on what you actually get when a device ships. Personally, I have no need for the TV2 outputs. I want the Sling Receiver box more and ASAP.

True, not everything that is shown will make it in the final product, but you should of heard them bragging about how two TVs would still work.

Again, not with this combination of software and features. Really from my personal experience, we are so much better off then say the Tivo Premier retail customers/testers that are dealing with software that is extremely early/buggy even compared to the software we got on our boxes. And we didn't pay hundreds of dollars more. (Well most of us anyway.)

Not saying there are not good points to this box, if I did not think so i would not have gotten it. But after two years how could the technology they have been using in other items be so bad.

To be honest, I think use 922 people are lucky. We have a box that does things that Tivos, DirecTV, and cable DVRs don't do. How awesome is it to be absolutely anywhere and be able to pull up a website and watch video from your box sitting at home? Not re-directed to another online video site or asked to purchase an additional piece of hardware or have system requirements that are so astronomical that most PCs won't be able to support it. Your freaking iPhone can watch your TV!

We could have been lucky if my Iphones picture did not look so much better with my Slingbox PRO-HD, so my point is they own the technology they have had lots of practice making boxes that sling, as how could they not get it right.

Take a step back and just take a deep breath. This is the price us early adopters pay and if you didn't know that I'm sorry. But most of us here pretty much knew what to expect.

This post was after a week of deep breath, I have said nothing about the things that aren’t working correctly that are new to the vip 922 because I understand being the first to use something. The items I mention are items they should have experience with and so should just work after 2+ years of design.

I am still waiting on the price of what the hd media extender and tv everywhere adapter will be. I am hoping it won't be astronomical in price or come with a monthly fee or both. This would be the ideal way to turn my 722k into a 922 without the bigger internal hard drive , new guides, menus etc. I would still get tv 2 in coax as well as in hd if these new devices work as promised. Just another 5 weeks to go till June.

Anyway When I do connect the picture quality is not near as good as what I get with my Slingbox PRO-HD using the same softwere. Yeah you can sling to their old software but not in HD, it seems Dish intenually left that function out.

Are you sure about it not being HD? I used the SlingPlayer 2.0 software build that was still posted on a CNET site. My desktop PC was showing me a beautiful full wide screen picture. I was pulling anywhere from 7-12 Mbps from my 922 across a Wireless-N network. If it's not HD at that bitrate, that's one hell of a high bitrate SD picture.

And no, I'm not getting the "Try server again later" message on dish.sling.com. I do sometimes get a message asking for a password but clicking "Ok" usually gets me past that screen.

(And I don't work for DISH either.)

The HD quality from the 922 looks to me eyes better than the HD from a Slingbox Pro HD unit.

I only wish that we could watch in HD on a standalone Slingpplayer...

It is my understanding - and from the Tech that set up my install - that the second TV ability will be coming in June with a Slingbox add-on to your second HDTV. This will allow you to watch anything you have recorded on the 922 on the second HDTV in HD! My wife is excited about this because she can then have me record movies and shows she wants to watch and she can access them on her HDTV without interupting my viewing habits.

And if anyone can check -- I believe this is what was announced during the 2009 CES - not actually TV 2 output thru a connection.

On another note, as far as Slingbox is concerned, I have watched stuff at work on my 17" monitor during lunch from my 922 -- both recorded and live. I don't understand why anyone's 922 is not working in Slingbox unless they are turning off their modem when they go to work. Or perhaps the modem is off when they are trying to access the 922 -- or their upload is tooooo sloooowwww. Any of these problems will stop Slingbox in its tracks.

As far as the 922 being too buggy or not complete enough for you did you not read Scott's warning about purchasing the 922 right now? Perhaps if you did you would not be unhappy with the 922. The DVR portion works great. The Slingbox works well -not perfect but give dish time) and the OTA board works well too. The picture in HD is far better then from the 622 (blacks are not crushed as much) and the SD picture looks great too (could that be Eastern Arc?). Scott told us that TV2 output would not be available at this time, that Slingbox usage was a little buggy but work relatively well and that the internet access function was not currently available right now. As a fact, he suggested staying with a 722 and slingbox addon if that was what you were primarily interested in right now.

If you read this -- why are you upset?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)