It the Joey need to be connected to the internet?

Zaytron

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 27, 2012
Tucson, AZ
Just wondering, I saw pictures of the Joey and noticed they have ethernet port, Im planning to set a 1H / 2J and have internet connection in the Hopper location but not on the Joeys. If I have the Hopper connected to the internet, do I need to have the Joeys connected as well? Do I lose any features if I don't connect the Joeys? Thanks!

No they don't need to be connected.

At this time some features might not work on the Joey's such as VOD, but with an upcoming software update (and if you have broadband hooked to your Hopper) then you will be able to access those features.

I have streamed VOD movies on my Joey with only a LAN connection at the Hopper, and also with a LAN connection at an HIC. So, a LAN connection directly at the Joey isn't really necessary, unless it will someday replace the Coax as a way to network with the Hopper.

Does the HIC need to be connected via ethernet to the Hopper, or can it be connected via ethernet just to a router and not connected to the Hopper via ethernet?

The HIC Product Sheet shows the HIC connected to a router and a "Tap" on the Solo Node diagram.

I have my router where I'll be placing a Joey, but I don't have ethernet where Hopper will be located.

Also, anyone know what, if any, is the cost of including an HIC with my setup?

Last edited:
no special connections need to be made between a hic and hopper as they are both connected to the node.

once the hic is connected up to the node, you're all set. Either directly or as passthrough to a joey.

Dish is providing the hic for free, if it's needed during the install. (it's not needed for every setup since some will have ethernet access at their hoppers)

Are you sure about that? I hooked a LAN cable up to my Joey and it went from showing not connected to connected. The light on the Ethernet port also lit up when the cable was plugged in.
it seems only partially active. I believe it's current use on the Joey is largely to get DLNA to work on that specific tv.

As long you don't need DLNA for the time being, then the joeys never need to be connected (as long as your hopper(s) or hic are connected)

(it's not needed for every setup since some will have ethernet access at their hoppers)

In my case I have ethernet access next to where the Hopper will go, but so many people on the forum complain that have problem when connected directly to Hopper and work fine when connected to HIC. Should I ask to keep the HIC to the tech just in case I needed later on? Its that something that is easy to install? Thanks.

Yes, I should have said "not fully implemented yet" on the Joeys. And might never be.

In my case I have ethernet access next to where the Hopper will go, but so many people on the forum complain that have problem when connected directly to Hopper and work fine when connected to HIC. Should I ask to keep the HIC to the tech just in case I needed later on? Its that something that is easy to install? Thanks.
Probably a good idea to get a HIC as backup until the software bugs are worked out. A direct connection to the hopper should work fine for the more basic internet functions like ondemand.

Some of the recent complaints actually make it sound like even the HIC won't solve all the internet problems. Only very specific one's like getting DLNA to every tv without having to run ethernet cable to every box.

Even the ondemand is a little finicky over the joeys (for me).

Whatever you do, don't expect a whole lot for at least a few months until the software bugs are worked out in general. There's a bunch of little annoyances that could get a little aggravating at times.

Last edited:
I have the HIC hooked up to my system and now everything is connected. VOD worked great on both of my Hoppers but I have not tried using it on the Joeys yet. The Joeys do show they are connected though.

I have the HIC hooked up to my system and now everything is connected. VOD worked great on both of my Hoppers but I have not tried using it on the Joeys yet. The Joeys do show they are connected though.

Both hopper connected to a HIC or just one?

I have streamed VOD movies on my Joey with only a LAN connection at the Hopper, and also with a LAN connection at an HIC. So, a LAN connection directly at the Joey isn't really necessary, unless it will someday replace the Coax as a way to network with the Hopper.

That's what I thought. I can get an internet connection at the Hopper by using the HIC at the Joey, but unless I run a separate ethernet into the Joey itself, as well, it will show there is no internet connection, only a LAN connection.

So will DLNA work at both Hopper and Joey with the following connections:

Hopper - Straight ethernet to router.
Joey - Connect thru HIC

faceoff007 said:
So will DLNA work at both Hopper and Joey with the following connections:

Hopper - Straight ethernet to router.
Joey - Connect thru HIC

Ethernet to the Hopper will provide connectivity to the Joeys as well. But there currently is a software bug that prohibits DLNA from working with straight ethernet to the Hopper.

Sent from my iPad 2 using Forum Runner

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)