It turns on by itself...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

thelastz28

Original poster
Jan 9, 2010
Victorville, CA
Hey guys, obviously I'm new here. :) I was wondering if one of you could provide me an answer to my following question. Why does my receiver turn on by itself? After watching, I turn it off. When I wake up or come home from work, the blue light is on... why is this? Thanks for any help.:up

Your cat is throwing parties when your not home.
Try removing the batteries from your remote when you leave to see if that stops it (cats don't know how to install batteries and they're too lazy to get off the sofa)

Welcome to the forum! You sound like a Chevy guy based on your screen name, but welcome never the less! ;)

It could be the remote like our jokester Fed Up says, but you may have received an update overnight, also. Do you have a receiver or dvr? The blue circle on the dvr will be on if you get an update.

LOL. I don't have a cat.

I am a Chevy guy. :D

It happens on a regular basis. Every other day, if not every day. I'll try to remove the batteries from the remote and see if that helps. It's an HD receiver (no DVR). Can I also unplug the phone line from it and see if that works, or do I need these updates?

Gizmodo editors?

Thanks for the help guys. :)

LOL. I don't have a cat.

I am a Chevy guy. :D

It happens on a regular basis. Every other day, if not every day. I'll try to remove the batteries from the remote and see if that helps. It's an HD receiver (no DVR). Can I also unplug the phone line from it and see if that works, or do I need these updates?

Gizmodo editors?

Thanks for the help guys. :)

Don't need the phone line anymore for updates.
If you keep it plugged in, you can get your caller id on the TV, thats pretty much the most the phone line does, unless you order PPV with the remote, thats the other reason for the phone line.

Wonder if you have any other devices running in the same frequency range that could be effecting it.

Does the neighbor have D* ?
Are you in a house ?

Is your recvr a H20, H21 H22 or H23 ?
Look inside the access door.

Yes, it's a house. DirecTV is pretty much the only service where I live, so all the neighbors have it. I'll check the model number. Thanks.

Last edited:
You are not having power spikes our outages are you? If the power goes out, even briefly, the DVR will restart and be left on. I put my DVR's on UPS's because we have frequent power outtages in the winter storms mostly for just a couple of seconds.

Your other option would be to change the remote/receiver code settings in case one of your neighbors remote is interfering.

You are not having power spikes our outages are you? If the power goes out, even briefly, the DVR will restart and be left on. I put my DVR's on UPS's because we have frequent power outtages in the winter storms mostly for just a couple of seconds.

Your other option would be to change the remote/receiver code settings in case one of your neighbors remote is interfering.

Good point on the power issue, wildbill. I forgot that it could be a problem.

All you need is just a voltage sag. If it heads south of 90-95 volts the box will reboot.

The lights will also come back on if the box reboots. If your box has a bad hard drive or your dish is ungrounded and zapping the receiver with a static discharge from dish static buildup, that might do it.

Alright guys, it is an H23 model. I think I found a solution. Before the receiver was plugged directly into a wall outlet, that's when it would come on by itself. Now, I plugged it into a surge protector and it hasn't come on by itself. So, maybe there was some kind of voltage/power spike. Thanks for the help. :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)