It was Good then Not so Good to know ya!

Spike appreciate the good thoughts,unfortunately I probably will have to get a Tivo Bolt before they bring out the new guide or the "World Box".

The only thing that is holding me back on the Tivo is their 30 Live Buffer which I don't care for,I will probably wait until after Christmas to see if anything shows up.:oldsmile2

What do you mean, 30 live buffer? You do realize that if by this you mean it takes Tivo 30 seconds to deliver the live signal to the screen after the box receives it, (I am not sure if that is what you are referring to) that there is not a single Cable or satellite signal anywhere that is truly "live." Right? The best "Live Video" that there is, happens with an over the air antenna. Other than that, the closest thing to live is to be in studio.

In fact, I'm going to let you in on a little secret. Just a few short days ago, my friend in Thailand and I talking on our Ooma telephones. His favorite team's game was being broadcast in Thailand. I was watching the same game here in the good Ol' USA through Charter Cable. He cheered, as his team scored. About a minute later the play happened on my screen here in the USA. And the game was happening in Tennessee. Delivery times of audio and video vary from one provider to the next. And sometimes, we don't get the fastest here as compared to some place else.

What do you mean, 30 live buffer? You do realize that if by this you mean it takes Tivo 30 seconds to deliver the live signal to the screen after the box receives it, (I am not sure if that is what you are referring to) that there is not a single Cable or satellite signal anywhere that is truly "live." Right? The best "Live Video" that there is, happens with an over the air antenna. Other than that, the closest thing to live is to be in studio.

He is talking about the live TV buffer. On TiVo the buffer is 30 minutes so if you are watching live TV you can rewind or pause for up to 30 minutes. If you want longer than that you have to record what you are watching. I'm not sure how long the buffer is on a Hopper but I remember it being longer than that.

It's never been a problem for me with TiVo because I don't watch anything live except for news or sports and I almost never get behind more than a few minutes. If I know I have to run out to the store or something during a game I just press record before I pause it so I have all the time I need.

He is talking about the live TV buffer. On TiVo the buffer is 30 minutes so if you are watching live TV you can rewind or pause for up to 30 minutes. If you want longer than that you have to record what you are watching. I'm not sure how long the buffer is on a Hopper but I remember it being longer than that.

It's never been a problem for me with TiVo because I don't watch anything live except for news or sports and I almost never get behind more than a few minutes. If I know I have to run out to the store or something during a game I just press record before I pause it so I have all the time I need.

Ah, thanks! I recognize the feature now that you have described it to me, but that never bothered me, even when it kicked me off pause. I hope that he gets what he needs. Again thanks for the information. Have a great night.

The live buffer on the Hopper is 1 hour.

My Charter Motorola cable box has a 1 hour live buffer.

Tivo has been 30 minutes,even way back when I bought a Tivo to use with DirecTV,it was 30 minutes.

The Dish 625 had a 2 hour live buffer,but it was an SD DVR,ever since when Dish went to HDDVRs the live buffer has been 1 hour.

The Channel Master DVR+ OTA HDDVR when it has the built in hard drive has a 2 hour live buffer.But the OTA Tivo Roamio has a 30 minute live buffer.

Ah, thanks! I recognize the feature now that you have described it to me, but that never bothered me, even when it kicked me off pause. I hope that he gets what he needs. Again thanks for the information. Have a great night.

Again appreciate the good thoughts,I probably never will because my ideal HDDVR would have a 2 hour live buffer,leave it to me to want something I will never be able to have because nobody makes them like that for cable or satellite.

The good thing about Tivo, that helps a bit in regard to that buffer is, their two current HD DVR's, the Roamio Pro and the Bolt, each have 6 and 4 tuners respectively. So, if you do need to push the record button due to the Buffer, it is better than only having two Tuners, while doing it. When I had Tivo, the greatest reason for getting it was that Charter's HD DVR only had 2 tuners. Now, there were a whole host (tons) of things that I hated about Charter's HD DVR's, but only having two tuners was a driving force. Now, if Charter can get their new World Box up and going for you and it's other customers, all of that will be history. I'm cheering for Charter. I want them to do well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)