It’s A Sad Day For Hdtv

The quality of the production value on the Voom channels will rarely, if ever, be duplicated in even one HD national channel.

I love this thread and I totally agree with the original poster's sentiments. I also believe VOOM will never be equaled as far as my taste in content is concerned, but I see potential in the new channels. It will take a long time, but I think the good stuff will come as HD equipment and techniques are adopted and learned by these new mainstream networks. They just don't have the infrastructure and the content in place yet.

I was flipping around the channels last night trying to find anything to make me as happy as VOOM used to, and then I found some random sitcom, on TBS no less, that was shot in great full-glory HD. I stopped and watched a few minutes just because it was true 1080i in perfect focus. After all the 720 and up-converted crap on the new channels, I didn't think it was even possible to see PQ like that outside of VOOM or HDNET/HDMOV. It gave me some hope that eventually we will see HD as it was meant to be seen.

Losing VOOM is a huge set-back for me, but in a few years ... who knows what will be out there, the channels can support the HD PQ. Just thought I would post something optimistic since I've recently been labeled as a VOOM-Loving Dish Network-hating "Drama Queen".

Last edited:
Just curious, over the last two years, any time VOOM was ever mentioned, all the D* fanboys and VOOM haters took over whatever thread it was mentioned in. They thrived on bad-mouthing VOOM. There were few pro-VOOM defenders. Now, since VOOM has been dropped, most of the threads with hundreds of comments supporting VOOM hit the forums. Where were all you people the last two years? The VOOM bashers must be sitting back laughing their asses off because they are dead silent now.

Its always been like that. Even on AVS years ago the mention of Voom in any thread would bring out the haters.

Voom was the hottest thing to come to dishnet when it was stream in mpeg2 format. The channel PQ was picture perfect even when it was connected thru component cables, after early 622s had hdmi connection problem. It went down hill when it was converted to mpeg4.

I considered losing voom a big disappointment. I spent a lot of money in High Def equipment to enjoy voom and now it's gone.

I remember many days, going to work tired as hell. Because, I stayed up damn near all night watching voom.

I remember when everyone was using the DVR-942 to watch HD. Charlie, sad to view the new voom channels you needed the vip622. Everyone swap there dvr to view voom and now it's gone.

I was one of those. DISH sold me a 942 2 months before that happened, and never mentioned I would need to get a new receiver for MPEG-4. They obviously knew it was coming soon. So they got my money for both receivers. Bastards!

If you don't like Voom, fine. So why post in every thread about how much you think Voom sucks? I think we've figured that out by now. Too bad I didn't have a crystal ball to see this coming, I would have gone into the countless "WE WANT SCI-FI, DAMMIT!" threads and given you my opinion that IT sucks. I bet my reception would have been the same.

Lot's of hypocrisy here...

Let me put it simply, the VOOM "haters" won, the VOOM "lovers" lost. The market force had spoken. I am sure everyone can find a few other examples similar to this one if you have lived on the Earth long enough.

And I did not even hate VOOM, I liked VOOM a lot when E* first put it on, by the time I canceled E* HD over three months ago VOOM was pretty much useless.

Let me put it simply, the VOOM "haters" won, the VOOM "lovers" lost. The market force had spoken. I am sure everyone can find a few other examples similar to this one if you have lived on the Earth long enough.

And I did not even hate VOOM, I liked VOOM a lot when E* first put it on, by the time I canceled E* HD over three months ago VOOM was pretty much useless.

Agreed. It's still 15 less HD channels you have (whether you like them or not) and I doubt you will be seeing much replacement for quite some time, especially TRUE HD replacements.

Agreed. It's still 15 less HD channels you have (whether you like them or not) and I doubt you will be seeing much replacement for quite some time, especially TRUE HD replacements.

And what "TRUE HD" channels are out there that you had in mind for replacements?

Guys, its over. I'm a VOOM fan, but the channels were mostly niche. For kids and family, there's no question that TOON and Disney are better choices. And I've been wanting HallmarkHD for a long time--plus the Weather ChannelHD. Let's be happy.

fitzie

Well then why all the bitching about adding more HD if there aren't the channels to add?

I think that is the point he is trying to make. 15 channels are gone, and there is nothing to replace them with. That is his point. Dish Network can't make them up. And they aren't trying to, which is what is so insulting to subs who liked VOOM.

Guys, its over. I'm a VOOM fan, but the channels were mostly niche. For kids and family, there's no question that TOON and Disney are better choices. And I've been wanting HallmarkHD for a long time--plus the Weather ChannelHD. Let's be happy.

fitzie

Edit: Meh

Last edited:

fitzie

Niche is good. Niche + mainstream = even better.

It just ticks me off that instead of providing diversity in the lineup, Dish has to go out and copy someone else. Not that Dish is alone, copying someone else's product is as American as apple pie, but that doesn't always mean it's the best solution.

As long as the channels are uplinked I will not concede that it's over. If that was the case, they wouldn't still be there.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)