It's Alive!!!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Bodo Fenrirsson

On Vacation
Original poster
Jul 21, 2009
Grovetown,GA
I had a HR23-700 whose internal hard drive went bad & I had it replaced with a HR24-200. Well,because Directv never asked for the box or access card to be returned,it's been sitting at my house all this time. Recently I "broke the seal" to see what kind of hard drive it needed,& had that hard drive on my do do list. Well I finally ordered & received the hard drive & put it into the HR23. I plugged it in to test it & it booted up,did an internal test,formatted the hard drive,& went all the way to "refresh HD DVR( or whatever exactly it says)." Now all I need to reactivate it to my account(if Directv let's me) is to install a SWM-16 multi-switch(because I already have 8 tuners) & then call to have it activated. Will follow up & let you know what happens.

Reactions: raoul5788
I'm surprised they never asked for the access card back. Good for you they didn't.

Well I'd like to report that after installing my SWM-16(& suffering from heat exhaustion doing it),I was able to get my HR23 reactivated. I got everything hooked up last night,downloaded the latest CE to it,& then this morning I called in & got it activated again. Maybe someday in the future I'll replace it & my HR22 with a HR44 & wireless client,but after fighting the Heat & humidity yesterday replacing my LNB on my roof(you don't want to know how I got up there. I'm just thankful my neighbor took pity on me & lent me his latter after seeing me on my roof),climbing down & hooking up my pre-cut coaxial cables to my SWM-16,my 55 year old body rebelling every step of the way,I finally got everything together,& I finished everything up today. It's hard doing all of that stuff when you are fighting dizziness & nausea/vomiting. I don't think I ever want to do that again. As I told my nephew,my mind was willing,but my body was saying,"F U."

I had a HR23-700 whose internal hard drive went bad & I had it replaced with a HR24-200. Well,because Directv never asked for the box or access card to be returned,it's been sitting at my house all this time. Recently I "broke the seal" to see what kind of hard drive it needed,& had that hard drive on my do do list. Well I finally ordered & received the hard drive & put it into the HR23. I plugged it in to test it & it booted up,did an internal test,formatted the hard drive,& went all the way to "refresh HD DVR( or whatever exactly it says)." Now all I need to reactivate it to my account(if Directv let's me) is to install a SWM-16 multi-switch(because I already have 8 tuners) & then call to have it activated. Will follow up & let you know what happens.
As long as you have an active account with at least one other recvr on it, you should have no issues re activating it.

I was wondering if they were gonna require a new A/C or not.

As long as you have an active account with at least one other recvr on it, you should have no issues re activating it.

I was wondering if they were gonna require a new A/C or not.
She never said anything about a contract extension for getting it activated,she just mentioned my bill going up by $6.00. I'm just taking it for granted that my contract has been extended.

She never said anything about a contract extension for getting it activated,she just mentioned my bill going up by $6.00. I'm just taking it for granted that my contract has been extended.
Only way it would not be extended would be if you Owned the box.

This could have been treated as a unique case and they activated it as owned or reactivate or something that doesn't trigger a new agreement.

That said, 99% of cases activating a receiver requires a 2 year commitment, unless it is activated as a replacement in the event of a defective one, or is owned (rare, mostly employee accounts or people that pursued used ex-employee owned receivers).

I would highly recommend calling to check your contract end date and ensure it wasn't changed with this activation, they may still be able to change it if it was.

I've reactivated old IRDs for customers plenty of times and not incurred a new contract... Now it might renew the hardware lease on the IRD (meaning if you deactivate it, you'll have to return it).

Renewed contracts are usually only generated as an act of OMS or another ordering system, and genearally require validation through TPV (third party verification). You know your contract has been renewed if you talk to a puerto rican or filipino or wherever they're from.

Reactivating hardware can be done in RIO with a couple clicks of the mouse, and as long as it is done correctly, wont generate any contract renewal flags (I honestly don't know how to do it incorrectly to generate a contract flag). Same goes for an in-home service swap - as long as it is a 1 for 1 of a like item, you wont see a new contract.

NOW directv will renew contracts for stuff like upgrades, service calls for no pp customers that don't want to have to pay, etc.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)