Status
Please reply by conversation.

Tom Bombadil

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
May 5, 2005
Chicago-Milwaukee Region
Just decided to drop DirecTV. I was a subscriber to Dish from 1998-2008, then with DirecTV since 2008. Switching to D* after E*'s picture quality fell off. I've been quite satisfied with D* these past nearly 5 years. When I signed up I was disappointed to get an HR21 DVR, but it worked perfectly across the entire period. Never lost a recording, never had the slightest hitch.

Years ago I was a bit of a videophile. TV & movies and home theater were very important to me. But life moves on and they became less important over time. I moved out of my long-term house in early January, and my 8 year 47" HDTV died a week before my move. When I went to buy a replacement TV, I discovered I really didn't care about it all that much. I bought something much lower than what I had planned a couple of years ago. I put my D* sub on suspension while I dealt with the broken TV and the move. Got my new set and ran a digital channel scan and found that I could pick up 15 channels. And over the next 3 weeks I found that between those channels and my subs to Netflix and Hulu Plus, that I had more things to watch than I had time to watch. I'd already sub'ed to Netflix for a while, so between them and D* I was paying $94/mo. Now I'm paying $16/mo. My goodness, that's an annual savings of $936! Post-tax, in my hand dollars.

I'm not leaving D* with any complaints about their service. Their HD picture quality is pretty decent. The number of HD channels offered more than met my needs. Their equipment worked perfectly.

I will miss a few channels, like ESPN, Food Network, History, BRAVO, CNN and some of the movie channels, although there are a lot of movies still available to me. But not enough to pay nearly a thousand dollars a year to get them. If D* offered a few of these channels "a la carte" then I might pick them up. My new condo complex has a central D* service, already connected to my unit, and my HR21 is free and clear of contract. It would be very, very simple to hook it up. If they offered a little package like 7 channels of my choice for $20/mo, I would probably go for that.

In any case, it has been a fun ride. Satellite Guys has been a great resource for news on D* and E*. So much so that I never even checked in on that "other" forum. Many of the members here have been helpful and informative.

Thanks Tom,

I do hope you pop in from time to time, as you will see this year we are A LOT more then just satellite... Some interesting things coming. ;)

Geez, another well thought out, carefully considered post about the necessity of pay television. Will wonders never cease! Don't be a stranger, Tom!

My next door neighbor has ALS and they are now a 1 income family. As a result they had to drop paid TV, FiOs. I set them up with the Roku I won from this site, my WiFi, and a digital antenna. I was amazed at how many channels they got OTA. When we scanned the channels well over 120 channels were available.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using SatelliteGuys

I used to read your comments from time to time when you had Dish, but haven't, of course, since you've probably stayed mainly in the DirecTV threads these last years. Nice to see your post and name again. :D

Good luck without pay TV--I'm sure you'll do fine--and enjoy that extra cash!!

Charise

Thanks for all of the positive messages. So far, so good. I am missing The Walking Dead and Top Chef! And when watching locals, I find myself missing something and grabbing my remote to hit replay. I must have done that thousands of times over the years. Still can if watching a NetFlix or Hulu Plus program, although it takes more time. DVRs are a wonderful thing. First time I've been without one since getting a DishPlayer in 2001.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts