It's finally all here . . .

Status
Please reply by conversation.

dogstar1313

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 7, 2005
Tennessee
I have finally received all of my FTA gear and cable, tools, etc. I ended up getting a 3500S off eBay for a decent price. I bought a Winegard 76cm, SG2100 motor, and Invacom QPH-031 LNB from PSB Satellite. If they sold Pansat's I would have bought everything there. Pete was extremely helpful answering questions before the sale and tolerated my newbiness with the patience of a Zen Warrior and answered with the wisdom of a Buddhist Monk (a digital Monk that is). I bought various other pieces parts from all over the 'net.

Yesterday I decided to begin the install so I installed my Channel Master eave mount on the garage/shed and mounted the pole to it. Then I proceeded to climb up on the roof and attempted to mount the motor to the pole. I say attempted because once I got up on the roof I realized that I was going to have to stand tippee-toe on the gable end of the roof peak in order to mount the thing to the pole. It was at this point that two rather interrelated things happened. When I started to stand up to balance tippe-toe on the edge of the roof peak to mount the motor I almost had to go change my undies. It was also about this exact time that I suddenly realized that there had to be a better way. I slowly crawled back towards the ladder and climbed down off the roof. I was quite happy to be on the ground again. I took the ladder back around front and climbed up and removed the motor from where I left it half hanging on the pole and then removed the pole. I had originally left the pole deliberately long with the intention of leaving clearance for a 1.2M dish for future mini-bud experimentation once the wife got used to the initial FTA setup. (For some unknown reason my wife is not fond of satellite dishes. I can't figure it out.) Anyway, to make a long story even longer I cut two feet off the pole because it just wasn't going to happen at its present length and I resigned myself to the notion that any 1.2M dishes would be mounted on a post in the ground. That being decided, I then remounted the pole and attached the motor to the pole via a ladder instead of journeying to the roof. This was still dicey business, but I felt much better doing it on the ladder. By the time I had that completed I ran out of daylight and had to quit. I probably won't have a chance to do anything else until this weekend. One thing I did notice is that my pole will wiggle a little when I push on it up near the top. No more that what I would imagine the mount that came with the dish would do, but it still bothers me. I may have to figure out a way to add more stability, but I’m not quite sure how at this point.

I guess to sum all this up I could have said four things and avoided the mess above.

1. Woo-Hoo!! My stuff is all here!
2. I had a great experience dealing with PSB Satellite and would highly recommend them.
3. I'm afraid of heights, evidently more so than I thought.
4. If I hadn't already bought an eave mount I'd figure out a way to put this sucker closer to the ground. :)

Really though, the eave is the best spot. From there I don't think I will have any obstructions for the whole arc.

Thanks for the kind words : ) Thanks for filling us in on the story so far, please keep us up dated here!

Funny I did the same thing with the dish, started out with a 30" and got bigger and BIGGER hoping the wife would never realise, it worked for a bit but after assembling my 6' dish recently the gig was up!

All the best and looking forward to hearing more of your adventures in FTA satellite : )

That's a pretty good racket. I wish I had thought of buying one of the smaller dishes first!

Had I done that, I would have had an excuse to get a bigger one. That way I would have two. The old one shouldn't go to waste right? Of course not. That's why I would have to get a new FTA receiver so I could put both dishes to good use. Of course at that point. I would have to "replace" the smallest dish with an even bigger one than the second one after a while since that first one is "definitely proven to be too small for getting good signal across the whole arc". But if I do that, I still have this smaller dish without a receiver attached to it. Holy Cow! You can't have an available dish without a receiver attached to it! That's blasphemy! I would have to, without a doubt, have to go out and get a third receiver for the porch. I don't know that my wife would go for that.

In one of my older posts, some one replied with "FTA = Far Too Addictive". I would have to agree. Have fun with your "first" dish and look forward to ordering your next one!

Cheers!

Congrats on the system Dogstar. PSB is a great dealer and will do right by you.

I know what you mean about ladders. I used to crawl all over roofs when I worked with my Dad (he was a roofer and I carried shingles up the ladder all day) but that was over 30 years ago and funny thing I am not as crazy about heights as I used to be. :)

Thank you gentlemen for the words of encouragement!

It looks like my true south is going to be nimiq2 (zip=37620). I have the QPH-031 so I should be good LNB wise, but is there anything in the clear on that bird that I can use to try to find it? I looked around on Lyngsat, but didn't see anything listed for that sat, but then again I don't know what I'm doing either.

If I read that thread correctly it looks like the preview channel on 82 is now gone. Are the audio channels still there? If so I suppose the proper procedure would be to line up as best I can and then blind scan around until I hit it?

You can still use the TP. to point the dish even if its not In The Clear.

I just did a rescan and the below is FTA/In The Clear...

DFreq : 12428

Pol V

SR : 20.000Msps

dogstar1313 said:
Thank you gentlemen for the words of encouragement!

It looks like my true south is going to be nimiq2 (zip=37620). I have the QPH-031 so I should be good LNB wise, but is there anything in the clear on that bird that I can use to try to find it? I looked around on Lyngsat, but didn't see anything listed for that sat, but then again I don't know what I'm doing either.

I'd try a KU sat for a TS satellite. Those circular birds are too easy to hit with a large dish, you'll be pegging the meter with no way to fine tune it.

You can always try the old towel trick, cover half the dish with a towel and then peak the signal, that should help narrow it down a bit. Good point digiblur!

According to the book that came with my SG2100 for my latitude (36N) I should set the motor to 54 degrees elevation and the dish to 24.2 degrees declination. 24.2 degrees on the dish adjusting bracket is pretty much all the way to the bottom. Does this sound correct?

Sounds right, the manual can be counted on! Of course the dish elevation will probably need moved up or down slighty to peak the signal (on True South satellite), the motor elevation on the other hand should never be changed!

Thanks again Pete!

It will probably be Saturday before I get an opportunity to get out there and mount the dish and hunt for my TS bird. I just hope it doesn't rain!

dogstar1313 said:
If I use a different sat for my TS won't that throw my whole arc off?

No, just make sure the motor is set to the correct position using USALS. Think about others that have zero TS satellites. I didn't have a TS sat, but my closest was 91, so I used G-11.

digiblur said:
No, just make sure the motor is set to the correct position using USALS. Think about others that have zero TS satellites. I didn't have a TS sat, but my closest was 91, so I used G-11.

So, as long as I motor to the correct motor shaft position first with USALS I can use any satellite I want to set up my system. Is that a valid statement? If that's true, then why do people even bother with trying to find true south?

Thanks!

Inclination for TS is highest compared to other satellites. Does this has a relationship to adjsuting the satellite dish for TS? I do not have a motor setup, but curious to know!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)