Its July 1, 2004 and no software.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

vurbano

On Double Secret Probation
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 1, 2004
Newport News, VA
well the "two weeks away" was apparently a untrue as stated on june 14, 2004. That would have put the software release at june 27, 2004. How long will are you willing to be jerked around?

whats the point, im sure a lot of you guys wanting to leave voom will leave anyway even with "this new software" you know, it's only an update.

It will not fix everything and it will not make the voom box an ATM which dispenses money for you at will, something will still be wrong. Thats's why they say "you can't please everyone".

Best thing I can think of is:

Wait it out, some time when you turn on your STB and dont even think about it, it will be there even if it doesnt dispence cash for you ;)

thats why they should never give us exact dates, something doesnt happpen and people just decides to start a war about it.

*puts flame retardant suit on*

(I know you are tired of waiting, Me... Well I'm new to voom and is not bad at all, but give it time people, soon. I have some hope as there is people like Wilt seemingly trying to help us with anything just so we are happpy customers )

Where is the "I'm really in no hurry." option? ;)

I'll wait as long as it takes to get it right. Luckily, all of the important locals in the Chicagoland area here are already mapped correctly. So there is no pressing need for me to get the update. Being a software QA guy, I understand the need to get enough time to test everything and fix the bugs that are found.

But I also understand the urgency of Voom customers that have little or no OTA channels because they are waiting for this update. Let's just hope our waiting results in a "stable" release.

My OTA channels are mapped correctly otherwise I'd be hopping mad. I feel everyone else's pain though. I just want it to be right (or at least to fix more things than it breaks!) so I guess that I'm in no hurry.

If the new software is the same as lostcause's box (there's a whole other thread on this) then I think a lot of people will be very angry. There were basically no changes to the software other than the OTA scanning. Even leaving the guide at the channel you are on only worked when you go to "all channels" and not "favorites". What's up with that?

vurbano said:
well the "two weeks away" was apparently a lie as stated on june 14, 2004. That would have put the software release at june 27, 2004. How long will are you willing to be jerked around?

vurbano,
where did you see Voom's official statement about "two weeks"?

andrzej, Wilt stated "two weeks."

electr0n, I woke up 15 minutes ago. Outrage will probably come out once I had my first cigarette and cup of coffee. I'll stick it out with VOOM, but I and those with wrong maps or missing channels are constantly being jerked around. A person can only take so much :no

I swear I read a voom article on the scanning as well in June. I cant find it now on their website.

Relax kids its only TV .... let them test the image throughly before they roll it out.

I guess since all of my locals are mapped correctly, that is the reason that I cannot understand the impatience of some. The other glitches in the present software are very minor in my opinion, and do not detract from my enjoyment of all the HD being given to us. Patience, patience everyone. It will come.

I find it irritating that I can't watch my locals, but at least they are working on fixing it. All the whining is going to do is make Wilt not talk about future enhancements. I certainly don't want buggy software. I "upgraded" my DVD player's firmware so that it would add subtitle support for DIVX/XVID files, but the software is so buggy that I can only play one file per session. MP3 cds now play one song, then the entire player just locks up and has to be unplugged from the wall to reset it.

Unfortunately, the company claims that this was the final firmware update, and now I'm left with an extremely buggy DVD player.

I definitely don't want the same experience trying to watch my satellite. Give them time. Let them do it right.

vurbano said:
I swear I read a voom article on the scanning as well in June. I cant find it now on their website.

The June Inner Circle devoted a whole page on the new scanning software. It didn't indicate a date, but you don't release an article like that and tell the readers "So sit back, relax and enjoy more VOOM than ever!" without delivering shortly after release of the article. Otherwise you get customers asking "Where is it?"

http://www.voom.com/inner_circle/poll.jsp?page=june_newsletter4

It is very possible that the Beta testers found some bugs in the new release so they have pulled it back. The way firmware (we keep calling it software) is tested is first internally in the company (Alpha testing), then it is sent to a select few of Beta testers externally, usually after signing a Beta agreement to not hold the company responsible for any problems that may arise. If a problem is found, the whole process starts over. A new build is created, and ALL problems that were ever noted and fixed must be retested to make sure that the newly fixed bugs do not break something else. Then it is Alpha, then Beta again. When it passes both, a final release is set and it is released to the public. Now, this is the way that my company does software applications and firmware. Some companies just throw what is actually a Beta out to the public and fix it later in Maintenence releases (or Service Packs if you get my drift). Beta testing on the general public!! What will be interesting is if the final release is a different build than what the guy has that got the new box with new firmware in it (as reported in another thread). That would prove that they had to do more work on it after the initial Beta.

luckily, I'm in a big market and my OTAs are mapped correctly. I feel others' pain, though I've been with Voom for ~2 months. I'd be really p.o'd if all this time I have no locals.

if I leave Voom, it's not b/c of the s/w update, b/c I doubt it'll fix the pq problems Voom has (except the microstutters that Wilt acknwledged). and from the leaked s/w report, doesn't sound like they did anything much with the UI either.. my expectations are slim and none.

As I mentioned my OTA's are mapped ok so I'm being patient. What is really important to me though, is this dropping audio/video/both issue when I change channels - is that going to be fixed? If that problem is still there then I will be crying in my beer. To me this is a big usability issue - as well as not being able to use "native" mode because of the static/noise problem (I used fixed 1080i as I think most people do).

I think Voom is a great service but they need to address this well defined list of issues - and quickly - to retain their customers.

IMHO it was reasonable to infer the OTA scanning updates being touted in the June Inner Circle would be available in June. As far as buggy software...these problems were "well known" weeks ago...so I don't buy that bologna. However, my beef isn't with the bologna :confused: ...rather, it is with Voom's lack of written and/or verbal correspondence the past few days...the silence is deafening!

To quote a famous blue-haired old lady, "Where's the Beef?"
!protest

I've noticed this the past few days and didn't think much of it until last night. Is this a software problem or an uplink problem?

Audio will drop for 1 second with a hiss. Last night during The Towering Inferno it was really annoying as it would happen every few minutes.

riffjim, your so funny :)

Towering Inferno was awful. A/V issues (dropouts, artifacts, noise) bug me more than mapping. An ominous sign was that my PBS was mapped yesterday. Why would they map a channel when a manual scanning feature is supposed to be around the corner?

What's also annoying is that the closest things to insiders on this forum have all signed non-disclosure forms or the equivalent. As much as I dislike Ken H and his borderline autistic personality, he does have a lot of scoops. This whole software thing has illustrated how Voom has really tight control on its information.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)