It's official: The Format War is Over! Toshiba pulls the plug on HD DVD

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
New Drinking Game!

Every time Vurbano says Blu-ray will be nothing but a niche product, we each take a drink!

However, I agree with him on one thing- 20% market share in 2 years MIGHT be achievable. I'm sure the BDA is working for more.

Just about wraps it up !

Vurbano,

The reason DVHS failed was because there was no content released for it, besides the incremental increase of PQ wasn't worth replacing VHS with DVHS for everybody except a very few.

True HD on Optical discs is Six times the resolution of DVD and about 8 times that of VHS, much more worth the change over to this new format.

Delude yourself all you want, you've been doing it for at least 6 months so it shouldn't be hard for you to twist this into something it is not.

Within the next 2 years 80 percent of the Video Market will likely be Blu-Ray, if not it will be close. Your disdain for Blu-Ray will not make any difference at all.

Your Predictions for the last 12 months about HD-DVD have been DEAD wrong, after each prediction you made went south you would predict another track because of "This or That" while your credibility kept taking hit after hit. At this point most in this forum realize your hatred for Sony and their technology has totally clouded your judgment, "The Sky is falling, the Sky is falling", or "Wolf, WOLF, WOLF", ok whatever you say, we'll collectively all be going now to enjoy all our current titles as well as all future releases in HD.

John

Ya beat me to it !!! He will be talking fud for years to come !

Great Now I can get a Upconverting HD DVD player for hopefully $50 or less , least there will be some use for them lol
If you can wait for Toshiba to release their new cell based upconverter I'd suggest that, not that the current ones are not close to HD.

Sony will be in a profit taking mode for a year or two trying to recoup the billions lost on the PS3 and all the free movies given away. Prices will be high and there is nothing to drive them down now.

Actually, Sony is currently making money on every PS3 being sold right now. And Sony did not lose billions -- gee Vurbano, now are you going to get on the hate Sony bandwagon since HD-DVD became R.I.P.?

My inlaws have a nice 60ish" dlp feeding it SD through composite. My father in law says there is no way he is spending another $10 a month for HD.
And this is completely in line with general HDTV usage: only about half of those having HDTVs actually have seen hidef footage on them...:)

Diogen.

Actually, Sony is currently making money on every PS3 being sold right now. And Sony did not lose billions -- gee Vurbano, now are you going to get on the hate Sony bandwagon since HD-DVD became R.I.P.?

Wiil you quit saying that. the video game division as a whole breaks even. yu don't know that the PS3 is a moneymaker.

And this is completely in line with general HDTV usage: only about half of those having HDTVs actually have seen hidef footage on them...:)

Diogen.

Which means, when they get educated as to what they're missing, there's a large market for people to get a high def source immediately.

I suspect 2009 will be a VERY good year for HDM.

Which means, when they get educated as to what they're missing, there's a large market for people to get a high def source immediately.

I suspect 2009 will be a VERY good year for HDM.
But by then those DOCIS 3.0 modems will be fully entrenched. Many people will have up to 100 MB downloading by then.

Right. Of Course we believe that will happen. To most people. And Real Soon Now, too! Really- one year!? :rolleyes:

Not that it matters, but I believe Sony as a company lost 1.9 billion last fiscal year (not the current one).

Actually, Sony is currently making money on every PS3 being sold right now.
Is this correct? I thought it was a specific division, and not the actual PS3 itself they were turning a profit on. I may have had a brain fart though.

Diogen.
I know, at least my inlaws understand that they are not seeing HD though. It is a start:)

Is this correct? I thought it was a specific division, and not the actual PS3 itself they were turning a profit on. I may have had a brain fart though.

It is not correct. He keeps saying it but there is no evidence to support that claim. all we know is that the video game division went froma loss to break even because of reduced costs on the PS 3. We do NOT know that the PS 3 is a money maker.

Last edited:
Not that it matters, but I believe Sony as a company lost 1.9 billion last fiscal year (not the current one).

I see quarterly losses but net profit for the year. am i looking in the wrong place.

It is not correct. He kkeps saying it but there is no evifence to support that claim. all we know is that the video game division went froma loss to break even because of reduced costs on the PS 3. We do NOT know that the PS 3 isa money mker.
Thats what I thought. Any link to prove that Joe?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts