It's Official - VOOM ON DISH NETWORK!

I would wait a few days until the smoke clears and the dust settles. It seems every csr has a different story. I've read posts from reliable people that the programming will be on 61.5, and there have been other posts from equally reliable people that it will be on the other sats. I've heard the HDDVR will be free, I've heard that it will cost 250.00 just to have it installed, then you have to pay a monthly lease, etc..etc..

Since this thing starts tomorrow, we should know more by then, but even so, I'd give it a couple of days to let everyone get on the same page. I suspect CSRs will have different stories at first.

jgantert said:
So, can you get the Digital Home Advantage plan (the lease) without the local channels? I get them OTA, and have no need for the SD ones from the sat.

I believe this is possible, but I would be careful with that if you plan on getting the 942. It only has 1 ATSC OTA tuner and 2 sat tuners. So, if you have two OTA programs that overlap, you will have to record one in HD with the ATSC OTA tuner and the other in SD with one of the two sat tuners using the locals via sat.

As a VOOM subscriber, I wouldn't mind paying the $250 up front fee for the 942 if Dish also gave me $20/month off the programming charge for 12 months, which would essentially return my initial outlay in exchange for a 12-month commitment. For example, if the programming is $79/month (including the old HD stuff plus the new VOOM10 channels) I would then pay $59/month for 12 months -- or something along those line -- please forgive me, these numbers are just off the top of my head and not real.

But, hey, what do I know about satellite service marketing?

I guess we'll all be on a phone date with a Dish CSR Sunday morning to see whutz up!

VOOM 21 HD Originals Unveiled at EchoStar Dealer Conference in Nashville, TN on Friday, April 29, 2005 by Rainbow Media President and CEO Josh Sapan (R) and Eric Sahl, VP of Programming for EchoStar (L)

Photo of Rainbow Media's Josh Sapan and EchoStar's Eric Sahl at EchoStar Dealer Conference is Available on Business Wire's Web Site and AP PhotoExpress

- http://home.businesswire.com/portal...iewID=news_view

- http://home.businesswire.com/portal...leId=2133606841

Rainbow Media Holdings LLC launched the Voom 21 HD Originals, a suite of 21 high-definition channels May 1. EchoStar Communications Corp. is the first company to offer the suite.

Joshua Sapan, Rainbow Media president and CEO, told Satellite Today that 10 of the 21 Voom HD Originals channels launched on Dish Network, EchoStar's direct-to-home satellite television service. "When EchoStar deploys MPEG-4 more widely, we will offer the full 21 channels" to Dish Network subscribers, Sapan said.

EchoStar is expected to begin offering the full package by the end of the year andVoom 21 will be offered to subscribers as part of EchoStar's HD programming package at no additional charge. "In the near term, during this transition phase, there will likely be a small incremental charge to access the Voom programming," he said.

EchoStar did not release pricing information specifically related to this HD program offering.

andVoom 21 will be offered to subscribers as part of EchoStar's HD programming package at no additional charge. "In the near term, during this transition phase, there will likely be a small incremental charge to access the Voom programming," he said.
Oh sure, we will only charge you more for a little bit then we promise to roll back the price, ROFLMAO. Once they get you to pay more its very VERY rare for a company to then back down a price as they figure your willing to pay more so why cut thier income at all. Its the old "Trust Me" deal and I dont trust companies.

Ol' Reb I ask her twice if that $9.99 encluded V* all she said was it did and I had read on here it would another $5 bucks which sound more real than them adding 10 HD chanels and not charging more.[/QUOTE said:
just read this

United Cable Direct's current HD subscribers will suddenly discover they have 14 more channels at no added cost. Murry said the deal with Dish came so quickly he hadn't had time to notify his customers.

but they also say this
which we all know is 10
But 14 of the most popular Voom HD channels are being picked up immediately by Dish Network and are available locally through United Cable Direct.

mark

salsadancer7 said:
since 3 CABLE COMPANIES(Adelphia, Comcast and Cox) are offering FREE HD DVRs....

Make that four. Guess you didn't read my post on page 5. I have Charter Communications Cable. They gave me a Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8000HD 160GB high-def two-tuner receiver (real nice too) and they waived the $10/month rental fee for a minimum of 12 months along with a $25/month credit to my bill for 12 months (12x25-$300). If you'd like a detailed description of my package deal please read my post. :D

Lucky said:
If you sign up for the HD pack only (and the HD channels are at 61.5) can you simply hook up your VOOM dish to Dish Network receivers and receive the channels ? In other words, if I do not want core channels can I use my VOOM dish to receive the HD channnels only ?
They won't let you get only the HD channels. The want you to get a base package this time. You can't pay the $5.00 and get the channels you want.

CDH said:
And personally I'd say keep Gallery, drop "Guy TV" and "Monsters" and add Filmfest and WorldCinema...
I agree, FilmFest and WorldCin are glaring omissions. Only 2 of my 4 "must have" Voom channels are going to Dish?

There are pricing issues, PQ issues (how good will Voom look on Dish?), Mpeg4 conversion issues (what will upgrade cost?)... and there's that potential big announcement from D* in June? All Voom21, plus a bunch more HD channels?

I think you young guys are jumping around too fast! Sit back and let them fight it out and come to you with their best offers. ;)

I guess I'll sit tight and see what happens to you guys on the East Coast tomorow..Be sure to post what the deal is, I wonder if I can order after midnight??? Keep me posted on the offer guys...Thanks!

I have learned so much and am so glad I found this place, the info I get here has been very helpful with this whole dilemma...Cant wait till tomorrow..

Kinda reminds me of something......

Your avatar reminds me of those segments on Conan O'Brien called "If they Mated...." By the way, I like that show better than ever now since it went HD this past Tuesday.

lilyarbie said:
Your avatar reminds me of those segments on Conan O'Brien called "If they Mated...." By the way, I like that show better than ever now since it went HD this past Tuesday.

I fell asleep on the couch last night and woke-up during Conan. Wow HD Conan! I forgot that his show was going HD, NICE! Letterman is next. Now, will I be watching with a Dish DVR or Comcast DVR. Hmmmmm...

NBC is on the ball when it comes to HD...........

It seems like I see more HD than ABC, CBS, or Fox. The only exception is PBS, which broadcasts everything in HD.

I think watching Voom go dark is more painful...............
So does this mean when I wake up tomorrow I wont have Voom, or is it late Sunday night 3am???

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)