It's Snowing in Texas!

TheTechGuru

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 30, 2010
Texas
After it went out a 2nd time after using a broom once I made a make-shift dish heater...

IMG_7164.jpg

Contains a 72-watt halogen bulb NOT a 250-watt heat-lamp.

Spoke to my uncle in Palestine this afternoon. Said they'd gotten 2-3". His dish is on a ground level pole mount and needed broomed several times.

Reactions: TheTechGuru
i wonder how many people who moved to Texas and thought it never snows here got a huge rude awakening today in the form of snow, i lived in North Texas for most of my life and I know it can and will snow in North Texas, it happens every once and a while, just we ain't seen a snow storm like that in years. and west Texas and the Panhandle and North Texas are the snowiest parts of the state.

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk

i wonder how many people who moved to Texas and thought it never snows here got a huge rude awakening today in the form of snow, i lived in North Texas for most of my life and I know it can and will snow in North Texas, it happens every once and a while, just we ain't seen a snow storm like that in years. and west Texas and the Panhandle and North Texas are the snowiest parts of the state.

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk
I know I can count on the Dallas area (Northern Texas) getting an ice storm almost yearly Jan/Feb ...
I have been flying thru Dallas on way to Reo Grande Valley most years and on the way back usually there likely to be a close call with weather getting in and or out of Dallas.

Been in Austin 16 years and first time I ever lost DIRCTV signal due to snow build up on the dish. I tried to use the trick of spraying water from the garden hose on it like I did back in Chicago area but the stream was just a tad short of reaching it. Since it never got to 32 eventually it slid off and things back to normal.

Been in Austin 16 years and first time I ever lost DIRCTV signal due to snow build up on the dish. I tried to use the trick of spraying water from the garden hose on it like I did back in Chicago area but the stream was just a tad short of reaching it. Since it never got to 32 eventually it slid off and things back to normal.
yeah i'm hoping it's good to go when i get home from work today

In Michigan I always wanted a pole mount so I could just brush it off with the brush from my car. My first home purchase the dish was on the roof with no easy access. I installed a new dish on a pole the first spring after having to go without signal when we would get heavy snow.

Reactions: Jimbo
In Michigan I always wanted a pole mount so I could just brush it off with the brush from my car. My first home purchase the dish was on the roof with no easy access. I installed a new dish on a pole the first spring after having to go without signal when we would get heavy snow.
That’s what I did on my second house. Between having two Dish and a DIRECTV dish having a pole mount was a must.

That’s what I did on my second house. Between having two Dish and a DIRECTV dish having a pole mount was a must.

If you live in a area that gets a lot of snow I think it would be worth the investment to just get a automatic dish heater...

I can only recall one time where snow/ice accumulation on my dish caused me to lose signal. There might have been other times where it was a problem briefly I wasn't aware of, or reduced the signal to the point where it was close to being lost.

Having the dish located over the part of the building where the restaurant's kitchen is may help, it is about 15' from the hood vent which discharges a lot of warm air.

All I know is that where it is makes it completely inaccessible if it ever does get iced up, or need repair in the winter, so when I have my roof redone next spring I'm going to have it located near the eave over the back door leading into the kitchen - then the manager can send one of the kitchen guys with the ladder to brush off the snow if that ever becomes necessary lol.

I just need to get one of those apps that shows the satellite locations so I can make sure that location isn't blocked by the hood or one of the roof AC units - and make sure when I have the antenna replaced it isn't in the LOS either. Plenty of time to figure it out, I've been closed with Directv suspended for 10 months now and counting...

• Sad
Reactions: mdonnelly

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)