It's that time of year again, upcoming price changes.

Agree...but unfortunately for me, I only have one high speed internet option in my area, and they have a cap (AT&T). The other reason I keep Dish is for live sports - everything else I can stream. I have tried YouTube TV and Playstation Vue, and both of them struggled during big time sporting events. I don't think it was AT&T's issue, the video/sound quality would decrease, lots of buffering. But no doubt this is going to be the future for many. Just need to work out some of the distribution issues - which give it a year or two and it will be non-existent - and the caps piece...

What kind of speed do you get from AT&T? Charter has 30, 100, 200, or 1000 offered here. No DSL out here.

Reactions: pattykay
What kind of speed do you get from AT&T? Charter has 30, 100, 200, or 1000 offered here. No DSL out here.

I have the 25 meg package. I tried for the 45 meg package, and the AT&T website said we could get it, but when the tech came out to install the modem, the signal wasn't strong enough. But when he tried modem designed for the 10-25 meg packages, the signal was average but was able to get it. 2 doors down though, the 10-25 meg package wasn't even an option due to our distance away from something (can't remember exactly what). That is how close I am to being stuck with the 3 meg DSL package I used to have. Literally my neighbors can't get the 10meg u-verse internet package. Even though I have the 25 meg package, very rarely do I get those speeds - much more in the 15-20 meg range, and that is what the tech told me would happen because of my distance. So much better than 3 megs, but not enough for me to dump Dish and go streaming only.

17 year Dish customer here.

AT250 w/locals, 722, 612, grandfathered $7 dvr fee.

Noticed bill went up due to past 2yr lock in commitment expired.
Past bills including $5~ tax = 97~ .

Called today to negotiate. They were really trying to upgrade me to Hopper/joey for free.
I declined.

They offered $15 off a month for 2 years, or $25 off a month for 1 year.
Took the one year commitment.
Which means bills stays basically the same including $5~ in taxes at $97~ .

Bill under $100, I'm happy.

Will renegotiate in a year.

Question; If I can figure out antenna to capture my locals OTA plugged into the 722 and 612 built-in ota tuners, then cancel the locals to save more $, will the dish guide still populate with programming info for locals?

IOW; Without Dish locals will dish guide still show local programming info with just OTA antenna plugged into 722 and 612 ota tuners?

Thanks

Reactions: pattykay
I have the 25 meg package. I tried for the 45 meg package, and the AT&T website said we could get it, but when the tech came out to install the modem, the signal wasn't strong enough. But when he tried modem designed for the 10-25 meg packages, the signal was average but was able to get it. 2 doors down though, the 10-25 meg package wasn't even an option due to our distance away from something (can't remember exactly what). That is how close I am to being stuck with the 3 meg DSL package I used to have. Literally my neighbors can't get the 10meg u-verse internet package. Even though I have the 25 meg package, very rarely do I get those speeds - much more in the 15-20 meg range, and that is what the tech told me would happen because of my distance. So much better than 3 megs, but not enough for me to dump Dish and go streaming only.

I presume DSL is different that cable internet as far as the strength getting a certain speed? Since I have never had DSL or any phone type of internet here, I am not familiar with how it works. One thing I am not happy with is, the wifi speed. I am paying for 100, which I get close to on the computer directly connected, but only get 45-60 via wifi from my $200 Netgear modem 15-20 feet away. There is sure a lot of loss in wifi. And I am about line of sight.

I presume DSL is different that cable internet as far as the strength getting a certain speed? Since I have never had DSL or any phone type of internet here, I am not familiar with how it works. One thing I am not happy with is, the wifi speed. I am paying for 100, which I get close to on the computer directly connected, but only get 45-60 via wifi from my $200 Netgear modem 15-20 feet away. There is sure a lot of loss in wifi. And I am about line of sight.

Dsl speed-you’re qualified for a speed based on your footage from a DSLAM (can be a really good speed like 100+ or very bad). Cable should be same as long as line is there. Make sure you’re using the 5ghz band that close. Some devices show a slower speed/not accurate speed like game consoles. Not sure about sat boxes.

Dsl speed-you’re qualified for a speed based on your footage from a DSLAM (can be a really good speed like 100+ or very bad). Cable should be same as long as line is there. Make sure you’re using the 5ghz band that close. Some devices show a slower speed/not accurate speed like game consoles. Not sure about sat boxes.

How do I know what band I am using?

You should go to your router's web page. That should tell you which devices are connected to your Wi-Fi and which devices are connected to the 2.4 GHz band and which ones are connected to the 5 GHz.

At least that's how it works for me. I have an AT&T router.

You should go to your router's web page. That should tell you which devices are connected to your Wi-Fi and which devices are connected to the 2.4 GHz band and which ones are connected to the 5 GHz.

At least that's how it works for me. I have an AT&T router.

Thanks. I get about 50% on wifi and the info I have read that is about it with error correction and all. But at 40-50 down, do I really need anything more?

Reactions: harshness
Thanks. I get about 50% on wifi and the info I have read that is about it with error correction and all. But at 40-50 down, do I really need anything more?

Sorry, I don't really know. Somebody else is going to have to answer that.

For my devices connected to the 5 GHz band, I don't really get a strong signal, like 1 or 2 signal bars out of 5 usually. But I never get disconnected and the last time I checked it with Speedtest.net, I got 23 Mbps down, which is pretty good considering I'm on the 12.1 to 18 Mbps package.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)