Its time for a change.

Status
Please reply by conversation.
coinmaster32 I applaud your effort :up

Don't give up!:)

I also applaud you. However, one other thing has come into play is that the law
no longer allows you to install a dish OVER 1 meter regardless of CCR's, HOA, City, and local
ordinances. Thus a major legal point that used to be in C-bands favor is no longer
available. A good portion of every housing development built in the last 15 years specifically
forbid BUDs, but allow 1 M dishes. If you have the property you usually can put in BUD, but even some large acreage areas forbid them. Therefore you have a limited set of customer database available to start with, and thye have to also be knowlegeable to start with. It doesn't matter that it is superior in many respects to pizza dish...the busy bodies that live in these types of developements don't want that Big Ugly Dish in THEIR neighborhood.

Unfortunatley I also think that a new commercial receiver will probably not be a successful venture. Look at what happened to Xoom, and that wasn't even using Bud? Dish and Direct will never allow anyone to take market share, and they will ensure that the 1M limit stays in place to deny that.

Motorola DSR 530-F I did some research and discovered that Ford had a training network which used these units.

Check out this screen shot.

Attachments

• 530f.JPG
    530f.JPG
    21.7 KB · Views: 226
  • onforce_IRD_pfd_doc.pdf
    983 KB · Views: 890
Found this on other site not sure if its true but has lots of details that only someone at mot would know.

"Ford Motor Company purchased 30K DSR530's (with special 250GB IDE's) with a re-skinned guide with several option screens removed as irrelevant.
The Vatican never order the 70K units targeted for missions in South America and If I'm not mistaken the U.S. Military was also kicking tires as well.

Had Moto sales been up to the task, I'm certain we we would be the beneficiaries of a much better funded and resourced team working on features and bug removal.
But that never happened and with Moto stating intentions to exit the Set top business, who knows what might be next.
The problem was that Moto didn't own anything beyond the hardware and base OS. Unlike the legacy DSR4XX units where they owned EVERYTHING.
Shaw purchased the old blue wiener bar guide from GIST in N.Y. to avoid certain patent implications and maintain control. Then they purchased license for the OpenTV of S.F. CA middleware to gain even more control.
Moto would have needed to start from scratch or buy an EPG from Shaw to sell into the opportunities. Precedence was somewhat already their over the Ford deal as a freebie in exchange for a better box price.

We also lost because Voom busted and their program across the hallway was better funded.
It was an embedded DCII box with an NDS ISO smart card hidden behind the front slot. If Moto had not removed them in the conversion from DSR550 to DSR505 (essentially the SAME unit) , they might have approached a major NDS user like DIRECTV. Imagine having the same box made for a market leader like DirectTV with *C/SD subs tailing in on the development.

Then we'd be like Bell TV enjoying the fruits of the much larger Echostar/Dishnetwork development.

I suspect Shaw has played their "if you don't build us a new box, we wont be buying Surfboard Docsis modems, DAC's, RPD's, IRT's, DSR's and DCT's" card again.

As for the relevance of a cable box, short of the 8PSK tuners versus the Aloha QAM tuners in the likes of DCT6412's, almost everything else is either the same or from the same family.

When you share a Broadcom Video Chip, a NEC processor, and all other support chips, it's really not a stretch to imagine a SINGLE STB with plug-in tuners for either cable or sat.

The problem at Moto is that Horsham PA, doesn't talk with San Diego CA, so never the two shall meet.

That sounds like a problem made in Schaumburg IL at H.O if you ask me."

I also applaud you. However, one other thing has come into play is that the law
no longer allows you to install a dish OVER 1 meter regardless of CCR's, HOA, City, and local
ordinances.

Bingo. While you can put up as big of a dish you want if there is a HOA or city law (mainly HOA would be the culprit) you are only covered for dishes up to a meter. Believe me, I've gone a few rounds with my HOA (and I'm the president) about the number of dishes I have. NOw lets not turn this into a "all HOA suck" thread (as some people do), the HOA was just misinformed. After showing them OTARD they understand. The 6 footer I guess they didn't read that part ;)

What's the worst thing an HOA can do file a lien?

Bottom line if your neighbors don't want a BUD around respect that or hide the darn thing really well.

Last edited:
Instead of using old outdated DSR-920, DSR-922, DSR-905 and DSR-410 digicipher II receivers why doesn't Skyvision simply use the VOOM DSR-550 digicipher II receivers that have a digital OTA module, HD and HDMI output for W5 programming? There are plenty of them out there and they are cheap.

That is because the dsr-550 don't have skew control. So everyone would have to use a servoless lnbf, and they have never made a servoless lnbf that had a low stability.

Plus the dsr-550 have totally different firmware. (Its too small of a project in mots eyes I think)

If ford had to order 30,000 units
unit price
$300X30,000= 9 Million
$400x30,000= 12 Million
$500x30,000= 15 Million

I sure would like to get my hands on a DSR-530F and try the manual tune

Besides the 550's are licensed to Shaw. Motorola is a bunch of jerks when it comes to us. If they wanted to play ball they could make things happen. Instead because were not worth serious $$$$$$$$$ to them they could care less.

What's the worst thing an HOA can do file a lien?
Bottom line if your neighbors don't want a BUD around respect that or hide the darn thing really well.

unfortunately depending on the HOA they can fine you daily and it could get ugly. Depending on the HOA setup you may not even be able to plant a dish in the ground. I can't. I live in a townhouse and I cant put a dish in the ground. Has to be on the deck or on the edge of the roof. Yes I wheel out a 6 foot dish in front of my garage and the HOA doesn't say anything because
-I'm the president
-I have more "loopholes" in the covenants than they want to deal with :)
-They dont want to get president mad :):)

The 1st time I moved the dish out they said I couldnt do that (I was VP then). My "loophole" was the association allows us to park outside one deep in front of the garage. 2 car garage can park 2 cars outside. Since the truck is inside I am using that space for the dish to be "parked" overnight :)

They have $$$ I would bet they spent crazy money my guess around $2500 per receiver. Kind of like what they get for their radios from police depts. It's Not that they will not make us a new receiver it's that no companies aka srl has the capital.

We don't need them to manufacture a new receiver for us. Motorola already has a line up of receivers which Shawdirect uses, that we could use for HITS. When Motorola does a receiver run at the factory why couldnt they manufacture another 1000 for us? The fact that they sold the 530 to Ford tells me that these receivers are not produced exclusively for Shawdirect.

On a side note I know that Pace manufactures cable boxes for Shaw. If Motorola is willing to license the Digicipher technology to Pace, why couldn't a manufacturer like AZbox acquire the license and include a Digicipher option?

I am willing to subscribe to 4DTV as long as there are signals available, however we are doomed without a new receiver.

Found this on other site not sure if its true but has lots of details that only someone at mot would know.

"Ford Motor Company purchased 30K DSR530's (with special 250GB IDE's) with a re-skinned guide with several option screens removed as irrelevant.
The Vatican never order the 70K units targeted for missions in South America and If I'm not mistaken the U.S. Military was also kicking tires as well.

Had Moto sales been up to the task, I'm certain we we would be the beneficiaries of a much better funded and resourced team working on features and bug removal.
But that never happened and with Moto stating intentions to exit the Set top business, who knows what might be next.
The problem was that Moto didn't own anything beyond the hardware and base OS. Unlike the legacy DSR4XX units where they owned EVERYTHING.
Shaw purchased the old blue wiener bar guide from GIST in N.Y. to avoid certain patent implications and maintain control. Then they purchased license for the OpenTV of S.F. CA middleware to gain even more control.
Moto would have needed to start from scratch or buy an EPG from Shaw to sell into the opportunities. Precedence was somewhat already their over the Ford deal as a freebie in exchange for a better box price.

We also lost because Voom busted and their program across the hallway was better funded.
It was an embedded DCII box with an NDS ISO smart card hidden behind the front slot. If Moto had not removed them in the conversion from DSR550 to DSR505 (essentially the SAME unit) , they might have approached a major NDS user like DIRECTV. Imagine having the same box made for a market leader like DirectTV with *C/SD subs tailing in on the development.

Then we'd be like Bell TV enjoying the fruits of the much larger Echostar/Dishnetwork development.

I suspect Shaw has played their "if you don't build us a new box, we wont be buying Surfboard Docsis modems, DAC's, RPD's, IRT's, DSR's and DCT's" card again.

As for the relevance of a cable box, short of the 8PSK tuners versus the Aloha QAM tuners in the likes of DCT6412's, almost everything else is either the same or from the same family.

When you share a Broadcom Video Chip, a NEC processor, and all other support chips, it's really not a stretch to imagine a SINGLE STB with plug-in tuners for either cable or sat.

The problem at Moto is that Horsham PA, doesn't talk with San Diego CA, so never the two shall meet.

That sounds like a problem made in Schaumburg IL at H.O if you ask me."

Excellent info! Is Ford still using that network? If not it would be nice for us to acquire some of those 30K DSR530's for 4DTV. I had a DSR530 for years and it was buggy as hell but a huge step up from my DSR 905.

stecle said:
Excellent info! Is Ford still using that network? If not it would be nice for us to acquire some of those 30K DSR530's for 4DTV. I had a DSR530 for years and it was buggy as hell but a huge step up from my DSR 905.

Yes they are.

You have to wheel your dish to the garage every night? That must suck man.
I have a fixed 6 footer at 99W on my deck (where the dish farm is). I have a small line of site there...from 83-107.
The 2nd 6 footer I wheel out in front of the garage (other side of house) for the whole arc. I mainly use it to do 3 things
-scan satellites to update the C-Band side of thelist
-to watch some of the western satellites
-to use it to bring in those low signal KU feeds...once in a while I run across a game I want to watch but the 36" the signal is just at threshold. The 6 footer brings them in

Could I leave it out there all the time? yep. PLenty of room for me to get the truck out
Do I? no. Weekends maybe when there are college hockey games on or there is a "big in the clear" feed on another satellite but it stays in the garage otherwise

Also I live in MN where we get a lot of snow. So when the plow guys come through (I live in an association) the less in front of the garage there is the cleaner my driveway gets :)

Saw something weird on my TV! Walked in the living room just to see on the screen 4DTV "the next new thing". A voice over saying the same thing.
This was on a New York distant ABC feed. A quick search on the internet revealed nothing. I obviously missed the first part of the commercial.
Is there any other thing other than we know about called 4DTV? I doubt anyone coughed up for prime time 4DTV ads.

I think you are referring to the new Best Buy ad about the buy back program

Where someone buys a product only to have it be outdated right away. Best Buy will "buy it back" after X amount of time. Its mainly about cell phones and computers. One part of the commercial is a guy smiling as they are bringing a 3D TV into his house only for a Van to pull up and it says "4D TV" (no glasses required) on the side of the van

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts