It's yours

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I think when HDCP was turned on, it affected all channels. They claimed they did not have a method of differentiating the output. And yes, it was very much turned on.

DarrellP said:
The stb has no internal clock, it gets it's info from the satellite, so it will not know when the end of month is.
I am wrong, I checked my Voom stb tonight and sure enough, it knew the correct time and date. I could have sworn that I checked it before and there was no date or time. Oh well, I sure hope May 30th is not another "drop dead" date. :no

what would an electro motor force do?

Would the electrons flowing through that chip somehow mess it up if it were removed while functioning? I've never touched the microprocessor part of the card whenever I removed it to make sure I didn't cause a static discharge to the chip and therefore render it useless.

need help using stb for ota

I connected the stealth to the back of the stb with coax, after removing the diplexor, into the connector for antenna. When I do a channel search, nothing shows up. I only got one channel ota before, but it was a high def channel I don't get with D. First I used the spliltter that was used in the initial installation, and then I tried another signal splitter I had lying around. Nothing. I did not ground it very carefully, thinking I'd do that if it worked. Did I do something incorrectly, or is my box just dead for ota. I voomed 'til almost the end, incidentally, but disconnected the Voom satellite a few days before when I had D installed. Any opinions would be most welcom! Thanks, guys!

polargrowler said:
I connected the stealth to the back of the stb with coax, after removing the diplexor, into the connector for antenna. When I do a channel search, nothing shows up. I only got one channel ota before, but it was a high def channel I don't get with D. First I used the spliltter that was used in the initial installation, and then I tried another signal splitter I had lying around. Nothing. I did not ground it very carefully, thinking I'd do that if it worked. Did I do something incorrectly, or is my box just dead for ota. I voomed 'til almost the end, incidentally, but disconnected the Voom satellite a few days before when I had D installed. Any opinions would be most welcom! Thanks, guys!

When you pulled the diplexer off you should see two inputs now, one for the dish and one for you locals. The one for your locals is the one on the far right hand side. It's also the only one on the box that is not marked. I'm also assuming that you left the ota module in when you pulled the diplexor off.

You can also go to antennaweb.org to get the RF numbers for the locals you should be receiving and enter them in the Aim Off Air Antennae menu and see if you are getting any signal strength there. If your account is still active, even though Voom isn't, CSR's are still there to walk you thru it if you need help with that. If they don't then just post back and I'll help. Good Luck

Thanks, Spahoose - I feel like an idiot, but where is the ota module? All I took off was the gray plastic diplexor, as far as I know, but is it part of that? I feel like I did something incorrectly, and I'm getting to the age where the obvious is not always all that apparent! (but I still have my teeth, and thanks to Rogaine, most of my hair...) :D

polargrowler said:
Thanks, Spahoose - I feel like an idiot, but where is the ota module? All I took off was the gray plastic diplexor, as far as I know, but is it part of that?
The OTA module is covered by that plastic diplexer. Once you remove the diplexer you will see the OTA module.

By the way, make sure to unlock the diplexer before pulling it off. It has a small lock which can break if you pull the diplexer without unlocking it.

Good luck!

(For pictures and details, check my VOOM STB FAQ)

Thanks! After checking your site, I found it, and it is there. However, I think I may not have the Stealth, although the installer called it that. The ota antenna is Wineguard, and apparently it gets its power from the diplexor, and not from the stb. Is that correct? If so, can I put the diplexor back on and just hook the ota up to that, even though there is no satellite connected? Can I use the splitter that was used with the original installation? Inquiring minds need to know! :no Lotsa ??, but I really appreciate your help! This is a great board, and I'm so glad I stumbled upon it way back when!

I left my two boxes exactly the way they were except I disconnected the satellite coax from the splitter at the dish and OTA works fine.

Something I noticed......

I looked at Ilya's post with the Voom STB faq post that is over a year old. Anyways, I started messing around in the system configuration menu and avoided selections number 5 and 6 which were authorization reset and factory reset. Selection number one on the menu interested me greatly. On this menu there is the selection of either left or right polarity, the option to turn on the 22khz tone, the selection of 20, 20.5, 21.0, 21.5, 22.0, 22.5, or 23.0 on symbol rate, the selection of 1.92, 2.05, 2.11, 2.20, 2.30, 2.40, or DVB-Q3/4 on coding mode, an input allowing you to input any frequency at all, and an option to tune in the final signal once the other options are selected. Now my question is this, what is DVB-Q3/4 on the coding mode selection? Does this allow you to receive DVB encoded programming on a transponder? Notice I said DVB encoding and not anything that has DVB encoding and encryption as I would never want to steal any kind of programming that is not in the clear. There is an EMM Provider ID as well and this seems dependent on the satellite that's transmitting the information. According to Rainbow-1 prior to shutdown on May 1st, the provider ID was 4224. Does this number serve a purpose or does it indicate what satellite or transponder you are on (kinda like an address or IP address)?

As an FYI, DN uses 20Mbps Symbol Rate (Nagravision 1, anyway..), DVB broadcasting, the 22khz tone is used on a switch to select the proper LNB.....
LNB Frequency: 11250, not sure of the DVB mode... DN Provider ID: 00 01

Maybe this will help you... DN is encrypted, so you might just get the in the clea stuff, which is not very much.

Mitch

P.S. I went into that menu, and the "frequency" they are asking for is the EXACT transponder frequency you want to tune to, so you will have to goto http://www.lyngsat.com to lookup the particular satellite and transponder frequency you are trying to get.. I guess you could use the VOOM STB as a limited FTA receiver, of course you would have to put in each TP freq and manually tune, a big pain.. but more power to you.

That is what I'm wanting......

I stated that I didn't want anything encrypted. I only want stuff that's in the clear if I can get it with this receiver. I do not want to pirate any programming that is scrambled. I only want to receive programming that is FTA *Free To Air*.

polargrowler

I use the diplexor on 1 box and no diplexor on another and there's no visible difference.

JohnW

lilyarbie said:
I stated that I didn't want anything encrypted. I only want stuff that's in the clear if I can get it with this receiver. I do not want to pirate any programming that is scrambled. I only want to receive programming that is FTA *Free To Air*.

Are you referring to FTA HD broadcasts--similar to what we get on the Pansat 2500 and other DVB receivers, but in HD? I know there are several stations in HD FTA, so if you have any further info on configuring this hidden menu, please post. Thanks

Not much information so far........

I just stumbled upon the hidden menu last night after reading an old thread based upon the Voom receivers. Does anybody know the Dish Network frequency at 61.5? I'm not talking about Rainbow-1 but Echostar-3. According to Lyngsat's website, there is an HD promo channel in the "clear." I was wondering if I could possibly tap into that channel. Oh, and by the way, I was talking about in the "clear" DVB broadcasts that are either HD or SD. There is also an international promo channel in the "clear" that I was wanting to pick up if possible. If anybody has any information regarding symbol rate, frequency, etc, on Echostar 3, please post.

bookwalk said:
Are you referring to FTA HD broadcasts--similar to what we get on the Pansat 2500 and other DVB receivers, but in HD? I know there are several stations in HD FTA, so if you have any further info on configuring this hidden menu, please post. Thanks

Now this would be interesting.

Spahoose

You can also go to antennaweb.org to get the RF numbers for the locals you should be receiving and enter them in the Aim Off Air Antennae menu and see if you are getting any signal strength there. If your account is still active, even though Voom isn't, CSR's are still there to walk you thru it if you need help with that. If they don't then just post back and I'll help. Good Luck

Thanks so much SPAHOOSE. That is good info that I was personally looking for. Good luck to you.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts