ITunes rasing quality bar? Itunes Plus

goaliebob99

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Aug 5, 2004
-.-. .... .. -.-. .- --. ---
I found this on itunes website when I was upgradeing my Itunes software to version 7.2, I still have an hr left on the download before I can check it out but it sounds cool. I just got an apple tv and am excited to play with it. I was looking very forward to listening to my itunes music in dd 5.1 via the optical, and now that they just annouced you tube compatablity with itunes im a very happy man.

Here you go:

iTunes Plus is our new DRM-free, highest quality audio format. The sound of iTunes Plus is virtually indistinguishable from the original recordings and we’re introducing it with great music from EMI artists such as Coldplay, The Rolling Stones, Norah Jones, John Coltrane, Maria Callas, and many more.

yeah, it is a little higher bit rate, but the coolest part is that it is DRM free. You pay about 30 cents more for that, but to me that's worth it.
Right now it is only EMI labeled artists, but hopefully more will shortly follow.

I found this on itunes website when I was upgradeing my Itunes software to version 7.2, I still have an hr left on the download before I can check it out but it sounds cool. I just got an apple tv and am excited to play with it. I was looking very forward to listening to my itunes music in dd 5.1 via the optical, and now that they just annouced you tube compatablity with itunes im a very happy man.

Here you go:

iTunes Plus is our new DRM-free, highest quality audio format. The sound of iTunes Plus is virtually indistinguishable from the original recordings and we’re introducing it with great music from EMI artists such as Coldplay, The Rolling Stones, Norah Jones, John Coltrane, Maria Callas, and many more.

The big brouha on the net is Ars Technica & TUAW's report that the files you download from Apple are tagged with your Username and Apple Store account name in the clear. You definitely don't want to let those loose in the wild!

Last edited:
I think this is a good step for the future of digital music and as I don't intend to share those files with the world I don't mind my name and account information within the file but I can see why some do mind it even people who don't intend to share them. I also like the subscription model of music but I understand why this model with always need DRM. I just don't understand why we can't have a subscription music DRM platform that works fully on Windows, MAC, Linux and Unix. I would love to fully switch to linux or a Mac but I don't want to give up my subscription music. I will consider an Intel Mac using Parrels (whatever the company is called) as long as I could run say Yahoo Music Jukebox with full DRM support playback like another OS X program. Just double click icon in dock and start program with decent speed and no sound issues such as stuttering and cracking. Once that occurs I'll switch to the Mac platform but I will "not" dual boot to play music. Now if Apple offers a subscription music service I won't have any problems buying a Mac at this point either.

Either way I feel that iTunes moving towards DRM free music is such a major step that it could turn into a change for subscription music support on more than just the windows platform or at least I hope it does.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts