I've been missing out - OTA

Status
Please reply by conversation.

linuxman

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jul 16, 2006
North West of St. Louis, MO
This is a little off topic, but still under the FTA banner.

Well I finally got around to finding and putting up an OTA antenna.

I got an antenna from a guy off Craig's List for $15.00. I don't know what make or model it is, but it is big. I figured I would need a big one because we are in a low area and 35 - 45 miles from the transmitting towers. I am currently only getting analog because I haven't bought my HDTV yet. I am shopping now, but probably won't buy for another month or three. (waiting on holiday sales)

We haven't had OTA local channels for almost 4 years now and I didn't realize how much I had missed out on. We've got channels here now that I didn't know existed. We have a MyTV affiliate though it is through Roberts Communications and not Equity. :( We also are supposed to have a RTN affiliate, but it looks like it switched over to Daystar, at least that is what is showing but that does come through Equity,. We have TBN and EWTN now too along with our own HSN station.

When I picked up the antenna the guy showed me all the digital channels that are available now too. Whew! I kinda wish I hadn't seen that. His tv was a Sony 50" and you can guess my reaction. :D

Well as always I took a couple of pics:

ota-antenna.jpg

ota-antenna2.jpg

I have a couple of questions.

First, I had to put a second section of mast to get the reception to come in better. The antenna is now 10' above the roof and it is a 10' antenna. Do you think the pallet shown with 6 - 3/8" bolts through a 3/4" piece of plywood and existing slats that are nailed to the regular pallet with 4 blocks will hold this antenna?

Second, I am getting most of the stations crystal clear, but a couple.

Channels 4 and 5 have a few sparklies in them. I dug out my old amplifier that has been stored for 4 years and is now 10 years old or older and it doesn't seem to do much. I had to thump on the gain Knob to get it to do anything. :)

Do you think the newer more modern amplifiers will help the situation?

Finally, If you don't have an OTA setup, Craig's List or Freecycle is your friend! You might be missing out on some good free TV.

Thanks,

Fred

very nice :)

I have an OTA antenna and love it. Added a cheap voom box and get all locals in digital clear :)

If you're in St Louis, channel 51 is the RTN in the market. Its a translator of WPXS 13 Mt Vernon IL

on digital there are some subchannels. Here in Minneapolis on PBS we get all the PBS channels that are on the 12180 mux but with sound :)
PBS Kids & Create along with 24/7 aerontical weather. Most of the other channels just have a SD feed.

We use to have the Tube on a subchannel on the CW channel but they are gone now :(

And a reminder..you don't need an HD set to enjoy the digital locals. Pick up a digital tuner and you will be very happy. No more sparklies !!!

Hey Mikew,

And a reminder..you don't need an HD set to enjoy the digital locals. Pick up a digital tuner and you will be very happy. No more sparklies !!!

I can't tell my wife that. If I do, I won't be able to get my HDTV. SSShhhhh!!!

Hey Iceberg!

If you're in St Louis, channel 51 is the RTN in the market. Its a translator of WPXS 13 Mt Vernon IL

I have Channel 51 tuned in and all it is showing is Daystar. I think that some of the websites haven't been updated to reflect the changes of the last few months.

I did see all the PBS stations on that guys 50" TV (still making me sick with envy) and the Tube, so I am looking forward to some of those stations locally.

I had a nice long chat with the guy about FTA, and he is probably now reading all this. I hope he joins soon and gets a Ku dish with a HD receiver for that beautiful TV. I told him who I was on the forums. :)

Fred

I just read this on findarticles. I can't vouch for the authenticity.

WPXS MOUNT VERNON, ILL.; KUMO(LP) ST. LOUIS; WDAH(CA) ATLANTA; KO7UI MINNEAPOLIS; K58DP SEATTLE

PRICE: Swap plus $10 million

BUYERS: WPXS and KUMO(LP): Daystar Television Network (Marcus Lamb, president/CEO); WDAH(CA), K07UI and K58DP: Equity Broadcasting Corp. (Steven Soldinger, VP, television)

SELLERS: WPXS and KUMO(LP): Equity Broadcasting Corp. (Steven Soldinger, VP/television); WDAH(CA), KO7UI and K58DP: Daystar Television Network (Marcus Lamb, president/CEO)

Fred

OTA digital tv

Linuxman I just did something similar a few days ago, had been thinking about posting the info. No HDTV yet, but I replaced a dying DVDR with a new one, that has a digital tuner, about a month ago. Forgot all about that part of it until last weekend, and plugged in my UHF antenna lead, with the radioshack antenna amp. I was shocked at the PQ, and these stations I am getting are about 70miles away , in Huntsville AL. I can even get a few of the Birmingham uhf channels on it, even though it is pointed in the opposite direction.
I get more than a dozen channels now, that look as good as satellite, where I had 4 channels before, the analog being 'fair to good'. Can get the Tube, off the air, looks/sounds awesome, a mess of PBS feeds, local weather radar. I had no idea all that was available. People that don't have an outdoor antenna and a digital tuner are missing out!! My UHF is about 25' off the ground here, just barely above most of the trees, but that digital signal seems to travel much better than analog.

I think it was said above, but I'll say it again...
Once you get a given channel in digital, even if not hi def, you won't watch analog again.

Get that HD TV set, and get one with a built-in ATSC tuner (hi def / digital )

With my outdoor antenna, I get 45 digital channels (9 in HD), and 29 analog.
Yes, most of the analogs are duplicates of the digital; maybe a few aren't.

Really cuts into my satellite viewing, especially around prime-time.
If you ever see CSI-Miami in OTA HD, you'll find it hard to ignore, even if you don't like all the actors. :cool:

Go to AntennaWeb and put in your street and city to get a custom list of the channels available in your area.
The strong ones are listed first.
Note also, the aiming info for pointing your antenna.

Hey Turbosat,

I am looking forward to the digital reception and the extras I will be able to get. :)

Hey Anole,

It was your post in another spot that finally nudged me over the edge into finding an antenna and getting it put up.

I used Antenneweb that you have linked for my setup and followed their instructions the whole way. Their site needs to be updated for stations in this area. There seems to be some changing in this market.

I am saving my shekels as much as possible. If I would quit putting up BUD's I would already have the money to buy one. :D

Oh well! Sooner or later this old SD TV is going to give out completely then maybe I can "borrow" some from my wife. :)

Fred

OTA is cool. I'm still amazed that you can get full perfect 1920x1080i video with 5.1 sound over an antenna. I know a few folks that have digital tuners on their SDTV's and love it.

WPXS MOUNT VERNON, ILL.; KUMO(LP) ST. LOUIS; WDAH(CA) ATLANTA; KO7UI MINNEAPOLIS; K58DP SEATTLE

PRICE: Swap plus $10 million

BUYERS: WPXS and KUMO(LP): Daystar Television Network (Marcus Lamb, president/CEO); WDAH(CA), K07UI and K58DP: Equity Broadcasting Corp. (Steven Soldinger, VP, television)

SELLERS: WPXS and KUMO(LP): Equity Broadcasting Corp. (Steven Soldinger, VP/television); WDAH(CA), KO7UI and K58DP: Daystar Television Network (Marcus Lamb, president/CEO)
I know the K07 channel was Daystar and is now Telefutura in Minneapolis so that is correct :)

Now that you mention it, they don't ID KUMO-LP anymore with WPXS

Linuxman, absolutely great setup! I still envy your giant flat roof :D

Yes, OTA DTV is a great companion to FTA satellite. I recently installed a lowly Winegard Square Shooter 1000 (non-amplified) for my OTA digitals, and its great! I don't have a set-top digital tuner, but I do have two PCs equipped with both Twinhan DVB and MyHD OTA digital cards. Both cards work together flawlessly, no conflicts. I can even watch and record from BOTH cards at the same time! When both programs are in HD, a fast PC is preferred.

Attachments

• 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 183
very nice :)

I have an OTA antenna and love it. Added a cheap voom box and get all locals in digital clear :)

A voom box? They have an OTA tuner on them? I may have to look around for one!

BTW Channel 7 is still Daystar - I just checked. It comes in like crap just miles from their transmitter, but it matched what was on 62.

Linuxman, absolutely great setup! I still envy your giant flat roof :D

Yes, OTA DTV is a great companion to FTA satellite. I recently installed a lowly Winegard Square Shooter 1000 (non-amplified) for my OTA digitals, and its great! I don't have a set-top digital tuner, but I do have two PCs equipped with both Twinhan DVB and MyHD OTA digital cards. Both cards work together flawlessly, no conflicts. I can even watch and record from BOTH cards at the same time! When both programs are in HD, a fast PC is preferred.

Yuck... the Crapshooter eh? Nothing but problems out of those things in this area. Replaced a few of those where they couldn't get RF 13 and would also be missing RF 9 in 2009.

Thanks Tron!

I am so looking forward to having the HDTV and the digital locals.

I am also looking forward with great anticipation to having the PC and Skystar 2 hooked up to it's own dish for recording and viewing "REAL" HDTV on a screen that is new enough and big enough to really enjoy all that it has to offer.

As soon as I get the HDTV, then I am going to start saving for the Fortec Passion provided that some members here have bought a few and have them checked out by then. If it works as advertised, I'll even buy another VBox (?) to drive the dish. :D

Whew! I am getting tired just thinking about all the work ahead of me this fall. :)

Hey DiscoLoveGrapes,

The Daystar reception is pretty bad here too and it is one of the closer towers in the St. Louis area. Don't know what the deal is. I don't know if it was any better when it was RTN or not. Didn't have the antenna up then.

Fred

The Daystar here in Minneapolis is like 500 watts so even in the burbs you need a big antenna

Dang, that is low power. If it is that way here I'm surprised I can pull it in at all!

According to Antennaweb and if it is using the same tower as RTN used, it is 30 miles away.

Dang, that is low power. If it is that way here I'm surprised I can pull it in at all!

According to Antennaweb and if it is using the same tower as RTN used, it is 30 miles away.

0.5kw..ouch.. what frequency are they on? Sounds KVHP in Lake Charles, 200 watts on 30. I know folks with bigger CB rigs and thats at 27mhz!

Our CBS affiliate is planning on going to 0.36kw on RF 9 in 2009. :eek::eek:

They're on channel 7 (hence the K07 channel name) ;)

records show
7 WTMS-CA Telefutura 405W Equity Broadcasting

The problem is about 2 hours NW (about 110 miles) of downtown Minneapolis is a 316KW satellite station of the local CBS also on Channel 7 (KCCO TV) so its shortspaced. :)

As Anole said:

"Really cuts into my satellite viewing, especially around prime-time.
If you ever see CSI-Miami in OTA HD, you'll find it hard to ignore, even if you don't like all the actors"

An OTA antenna for HD is amazing. However, the CBS HD feeds through a BUD and an FTA receiver are even more amazing!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts