I've been missing out - OTA

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Yuck... the Crapshooter eh? Nothing but problems out of those things in this area. Replaced a few of those where they couldn't get RF 13 and would also be missing RF 9 in 2009.

It seems to work well with everything except WYES-DT, which, unfortunately, is VHF. One night I picked up WLOX out of Biloxi. It was just due to atmospheric conditions, though, since I haven't found it since.

More recently, I was scanning for WDSU-TV (New Orleans NBC, which recently came back on the air digitally on leased bandwidth until their destroyed tower is rebuilt). I found Leno, so I figured I had WDSU. That was until I checked the channel number, which was wrong. Then I saw Baton Rouge commercials :eek: I soon figured out that I was actually viewing WVLA out of Baton Rouge. Of course, that didn't last either, but it was fun :)

The Winegard is an undersized antenna, but since I'm within 15 miles of most New Orleans area transmitting towers, it works adequately...

It seems to work well with everything except WYES-DT, which, unfortunately, is VHF. One night I picked up WLOX out of Biloxi. It was just due to atmospheric conditions, though, since I haven't found it since.

More recently, I was scanning for WDSU-TV (New Orleans NBC, which recently came back on the air digitally on leased bandwidth until their destroyed tower is rebuilt). I found Leno, so I figured I had WDSU. That was until I checked the channel number, which was wrong. Then I saw Baton Rouge commercials :eek: I soon figured out that I was actually viewing WVLA out of Baton Rouge. Of course, that didn't last either, but it was fun :)

The Winegard is an undersized antenna, but since I'm within 15 miles of most New Orleans area transmitting towers, it works adequately...

As expected... no VHF capability on that thing. We use CM4221's since they can easily pick up the high power high band VHF stations and still reach out and grab the UHF stations. I usually recommend the CM4228 if the person is ok with the size.

I'll have to check into those Channel Master antennas, I've heard very good things about them. Will both the 4221 and 4228 get the high VHFs?

I'll have to check into those Channel Master antennas, I've heard very good things about them. Will both the 4221 and 4228 get the high VHFs?

http://www.hdtvprimer.com/ANTENNAS/comparing.html

Scroll down to the section : Using a UHF antenna for VHF

The 4228 is better for VHF-Hi. One installation we used in Lake Charles picks up analog 7 and digital 8 just fine from KPLC (20 miles from the antenna).

In another installation about 25 miles from the antennas we pick up analog 9 and digital 13 with a 4228 just fine.

I even pick up analog 2 with it just fine but I'm about 10 miles from the antennas.

Check all of your local stations to see which channel they have elected to use after the 2009 transition.

1. Goto : http://www.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/audio/tvq.html
2. Type in your call letters and hit enter.
3. Click on station and scroll down, look for the "Application List" link.
4. Look for the application with the letters of : BFRECT - open it
5. Scroll down, and you'll find : Indicate in-core channel number for final DTV operation here

Digiblur, thanks for the information and links :) Size is not an issue unless the thing is more than four feet across. Currently, I'm using simple rabbit ears inside for WYES, but I would like a better, single solution. Sounds like the CM might be the answer :)

I was in Sam's Club today, and had a chuckle when I saw a 60" Pioneer plasma receiving the NFL games on Fox using a six inch wire stuck into the center hole of the coax connector on the back :D Of course, the picture was pixelating quite badly at times :rolleyes:

A good project is to make your own antenna. Here is two that I am currently using. The four bay bowtie and eight bay bowtie get about the same signal strength. Theoretically, the eight bay should get 3 db stronger signal. With the eight bay bowtie, I am periodically getting the tube from about 120mi, and RTN11 consistently from about 70mi. I am using a CM7775 pre-amp and it is on the top of a 30' tower with a 10' mast. It still is not above the trees in my area.

Attachments

• IMG_2182.JPG
    IMG_2182.JPG
    231.2 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_2184.JPG
    IMG_2184.JPG
    557.1 KB · Views: 110
Next time someone gets the urge to build their own dish . . .
I'm going to point them to these pictures ! :cool:

You go, Larry ! - :up

PCB,

Check out this link it has more information than Antenna Web..

TV Fool - Home
also check out hdtvmagazine.com if you know your lat. and long. it will tell you the power,the hight and distance from your house,they will also email you updates on all the hd news and give listings of the hd programing on every hd channel for every provider.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts