Jaclsonville locals nightly loss

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

lazydogmot

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 27, 2009
N/E Florida
The last two days at 1AM (and intermittently for the last few months) I have lost the signals from the Jacksonville FL locals. I record the Late Late Show at 12:35AM on the local CBS station WTEV 47. Thursdays program recorded for about 25min. and the screen went solid yellow and there was complete audio loss for the rest of the program. I was awake when this mornings program was recording and checked the channel on another receiver and the screen was yellow. I also checked several other channels and about three or four were doing the same thing, solid color screen (one was pink) and no audio. Has anyone else experienced this and doesn't Dish pay for these local stations/programing?

If you haven't tried it yet, I would do a hard reset on the receiver. We definitely want to look into what's going on. Just PM with your account number so I can research this further.

The signal loss is at the dish LRF/pop for jax the same thing happens in orlando too on the PBS affiliates, it like dish uses crappy 25 cent rabbit ears to demod the signals off the air to send to the uplink site. BTW I love the suggestion that the sub do a reboot, typical, I have a suggestion for dish, perhaps dish should install a real antenna at the LRF that overcomes tropo effects or better yet get fiber to the stations Master Control like cable companies have.

For the third night in a row, I'm getting a yellow screen and no audio on a local channel. Tonight it's WTLV 12 out of Jacksonville, FL. It's been out for almost an hour. It does this on both of our 722k's. Called a CSR and they said they would pass it on to engineering.

Well, this morning, around 1AM, it was WJXX 25 that went out. Is no one else seeing this, here or anywhere with Dish?
A yellow screen happens when the channel provider has an outage on their end. This replaces static, since the channels are now broadcast in digital and not analog. You'll see pink on standard definition channels and yellow on high definition. Since the CSR reported to engineering hopefully it will get resolved soon.

The signal loss is at the dish LRF/pop for jax the same thing happens in orlando too on the PBS affiliates, it like dish uses crappy 25 cent rabbit ears to demod the signals off the air to send to the uplink site. BTW I love the suggestion that the sub do a reboot, typical, I have a suggestion for dish, perhaps dish should install a real antenna at the LRF that overcomes tropo effects or better yet get fiber to the stations Master Control like cable companies have.
How do you know this for sure? The places where I've worked for TV stations usually had outdoor antennas to pickup the signals. Some had the fiber link into them.

A yellow screen happens when the channel provider has an outage on their end. This replaces static, since the channels are now broadcast in digital and not analog. You'll see pink on standard definition channels and yellow on high definition. Since the CSR reported to engineering hopefully it will get resolved soon.

Don't hold your breath anybody! The Yellow/Pink QA alerts for the uplink have been happening for years in many markets. Again, I will reiterate at the LRF/POP sites usually one cheapo omni directional antenna for all channels split for all the off air demods, when tropo occurs the omni picks up noise from all sides and the signal drops out, in some cases it can be so bad at night that the Dist. amp gets overloaded and all channels get knocked out. As opposed to a cable headend where they usually have fiber to the big 3/4 at least or failing that a dedicated directional yagi antenna for each antenna farm or freq range, It's the like the difference between giving a crap and careing less what happens. In some cases the LRF is even using the local cable company to get locals that the omni can't deliver.

Last night/early this morning, channel 47 WTEV went yellow screen of death, again! I am thinking r10fret is correct about the stations cheap antennas.

I am still getting the yellow screen in the early AM while trying to record The Late Late Show on WTEV 47 (CBS) in Jacksonville. Since 9-5, until today, I should have seven (7) recorded programs. Instead, there are only two (2), and both of them are titled "OFF THE AIR" and have no information as to who the guests are.

@ Zach or Raymond, do you still have my account information?

I am still getting the yellow screen in the early AM while trying to record The Late Late Show on WTEV 47 (CBS) in Jacksonville. Since 9-5, until today, I should have seven (7) recorded programs. Instead, there are only two (2), and both of them are titled "OFF THE AIR" and have no information as to who the guests are.

@ Zach or Raymond, do you still have my account information?

I do not have your information, you can PM it to me and I will submit another report for you.

I'm in the Jax local market. I'll set up a timer to record the late late show on ch 47 and see if my results differ.

Just curious are you recording from the dish feed locals or from the OTA tuner??

Last edited:
@ thamac The last two programs (9-16 & 9-17) have recorded OK.

On the WTEV Facebook page from 9-5, another Dish subscriber asked:
"Why do WTEV, WAWS, & WJCT go "OFF-AIR" at 12:30AM tonight? These channels also went "OFF-AIR" last Friday night and have done this on other occasions too. Is this an issue on your end or possibly Dish Network or some other mysterious reason? Has anyone else experienced this?"

WTEV answer was:
"To accommodate antenna work by another station on our community tower, WTEV & WAWS is required to power down our transmitters from 12:35a – 5:30a, the work should be complete by Friday.".

I record from the satellite feed on a 722k as I do not have the OTA module.

Or lets turn that around.... A local affiliate, getting much wider coverage by being on Dish should provide a fiber connection. Why should they be different than other channels Dish carries. Dish gets the signal from HBO however HBO provides it, it gets the signal from the locals however they provide it.

I don't care who is paying (provider or station) since they are both parties to a pay service they should ensure delivery of a signal 24/7.

In Orlando the big 5 commercial networks all have fiber feeds to dish & directv, however it is still only used for SD, so when the towers are off line or tropo they are still available via their SD satellite channel, the HD is delivered OTA however and goes out at night because of tropo. When a station and provider have a contract they should by pass the OTA signal, through microwave, fiber or even catv delivery to the LRF/POP, OTA should be the backup if a line gets cut.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)