Jadeworld (TVB) on Dish?

Not really? They can be on both Direct and Dish. Phoenix TV, CCTV-4 is currently on Direct TV and Dish Network except Dish does not have ATV and Dish charges more for Phoenix and CCTV-4. $25 vs $15.99/$19.99 with TVB Mandarin. Adding JadeWorld on Dish will increase the choices.

CCTV and Phoenix are NOT part of Jadeworld though DirecTV might market them that way.
As I and other posters have already mentioned, DirecTV has an exlusive satellite carriage contract with Jadeworld to carry those Jadeworld channels and some cable systems carry a separate Jadeworld service.
There are all of the CCTVs, Phoenix, and nearly every province's main television channel on the DISH Network Great Wall package among many other options like ETTV.

That was 1994-2000 something. Those satalite dish only allow you to watch Jade and nothing else. I know someone showing off those satalite dish back in the 90s. They claim those dish get the new new series from HK and it was a BIG LIE, the same old shows from one year ago.

Do you remember how much TVB charge at the time? I guess, $29.99 for two channels, East and West.

Yes I think it was that price.
The dishes appeared to be the cheapest possible Ku-band dishes ever made. The receivers would only pick up Jadeworld. I didn't see the point.
In fact DirecTV did not allow new customers for Jadeworld until every last Jadeworld customer was converted to the DirecTV platform. It took over 3 years in NYC before my in-laws could order new service if I recall correctly. The other family and friends were upgraded slowly.

In the huge NYC Chinese diaspora they went through thousands of videotapes shipped over from HK. It was a huge, undermet market, and those Jadeworld dishes were everywhere in NYC.
Now it's DirecTV Phase-2 and Phase-3 dishes.
Almost no SuperDISH systems to be found, which is bizarre.
Maybe DirecTV made the right decision with Jadeworld?

GekTV TVB Package

Yes. I got both, but I want to get rid of the DirecTV box. I have the original DVR by DirecTV and it is leagues behind the Dish DVR.

I am also checking out some IPTV option. Anyone got any experience with gektv.com?

Yeah it's really great my parents just got gektv. The programs are much newer than those on Jadeworld. I think they are showing on the same schedule as Hong Kong. I installed my parents with a wireless wall plug- no problems yet!

Yeah it's really great my parents just got gektv. The programs are much newer than those on Jadeworld. I think they are showing on the same schedule as Hong Kong. I installed my parents with a wireless wall plug- no problems yet!

Sounds good! Thanks for the info! :)

I would like to install GEKTV, but don't want to have 2 cable modems ( one for tv and the other for internet). You said, you installed GEKTV for your parents with a wireless wall plug. WHat is that? Is that the same as a wireless router? I have Comcast cable internet, but the cable modem only has one ethernet port. What do you recommend?

I would like to install GEKTV, but don't want to have 2 cable modems ( one for tv and the other for internet). You said, you installed GEKTV for your parents with a wireless wall plug. WHat is that? Is that the same as a wireless router? I have Comcast cable internet, but the cable modem only has one ethernet port. What do you recommend?

I installed gektv a few months ago. It is 10 times better than the Directv version and 2 times cheaper. On weekdays, there are like 6 to 8 TVB series on demand so you can watch anytime, and they repeat on the weekends in case you missed them. It also got the current TVB series playing in Hong Kong for $0.55 an episode, but you get $10 to $20 credit per month (depends on which package you subscribe). So every month you get to watch 1 to 2 series from Hong Kong at the same time they play in HK. The news channel is 24 hours live news from HK.

As for internet, you don't really need wireless. We asked about wireless, but tech support said they don't support wireless ethernet adapter. We tried to plug in an old one we got, but it doesn't seem to recognize it. We just run a long ethernet cable from our router to the unit. So you just need to get a router for your modem if you are able to run a long cable to near your TV.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)